Can 50-year-olds punk rock? You bet if they're WIRE!!!
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
One of the most essential/influential/seminal punk bands of the 70's was Wire, a group made up of 4 former art-students. If you've heard their original 3 albums you are already sold on their sound. Heavily intellectual/existential lyrics combined with hyper-active punk guitars, drums and bass hitting you at full force. They stuck around through the '80s when they became a primarily electronic band, very different from their early sound but years ahead of their time. During this period they refused to play their early matereial. Now they're back all 4 original members playing hard-core punk rock a lot like their original albums. I got the chance to see them live during one of their recent tours and let me tell you, this was one of the BEST most ferocious, mind-blowing rock shows I've ever seen (I've been to hundreds and hundreds). They may be in their 50's (one member is in his 60's!!) but these guys can ROCK like it hasn't been rocked since '77.

Anyway, if you are a long-term Wire fan, or merely a fan of "modern" hard-edged music, you MUST check out their 3 most recent releases, Read & Burn 01, and 02, and Send. Send collects a lot of the material from the two Read & Burn EPs (but not all). It's proof positive that old guys can ROCK as effectively and as authentically as any 20 year old.

Check them out!
orphsmile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Anyway, if you are a long-term Wire fan, or merely a fan of "modern" hard-edged music, you MUST check out their 3 most recent releases, Read & Burn 01, and 02, and Send. Send collects a lot of the material from the two Read & Burn EPs (but not all). It's proof positive that old guys can ROCK as effectively and as authentically as any 20 year old.
Check them out!
orphsmile.gif

Might have to check out "send" album.......been a very long time since they produced any quality work.
confused.gif

Very nice collection of ace first three albums "on returning 1977-79" with 31 tracks best place for newbies to start with WIRE.......then get "A list" album which collects best of the 1980's and with two CDs you pretty much cover all the bases (except for newest material mentioned above)

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

been a very long time since they produced any quality work.

OUCH! Yes, their 80's stuff was a bit different from their initial burst of creativity, but damn, I still like it!

Of all people here on this site, DA, you of all people owe it to yourself to check out the new stuff, start with "Send" I know you'd "get" it! It SHREDS!!!!!! This is jaw-dropping, OH MY GOD, stuff!!!

Mark

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Of all people here on this site, DA, you of all people owe it to yourself to check out the new stuff, start with "Send" I know you'd "get" it! It SHREDS!!!!!! This is jaw-dropping, OH MY GOD, stuff!!!
Mark

Found some samples of "burn 1 EP" it is worthy........."Send" album will be mine.
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm kind of surprised that this is the lone thread with Wire (the band) in the title.

Anyway, the boys have a new one out - Object 47, that I have been enjoying the last week. So here is the heads up for their latest and perhaps most accessible album.

Amazon

MySpace

Official Site

P.S. It is always nice to see a rock album stay lean and clock in at less than ten tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back