Campfire - Solaris
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #11,296 of 12,035
How does the Solaris compare to the larger Empire Ears in-ears?

I think @Rockwell75 gave a great answer already. The only thing I'd add personally is that I'm a pretty big fan of EE too and I also think that the Solaris 2020 has a pretty unique sound in that I feel it's quite dark, musical, technically strong, but not striving for airy trebles, and putting tone and musicality first vs air/spaciousness and the 'reference' ideal.

Having said that, more than many other IEMs I've tried, I've found that the sound signature of the Solaris 2020 can also vary a lot, depending on tips, cables, sources and so on. I tried it with an Eletech Plato cable and the sound was surprisingly different; much more airy and open, more clinical and detailed, but a touch less of that musicality and dark tone that I also love. Also, a big difference listening to it on my iBasso DX220MAX vs my Sony WM1Z DAPs.

When I think of the EE line-up, the one IEM that reminds me most of the Solaris 2020 would be the EE Phantom.
It's a tone/timbre monster, it's exceptionally dark, musical, rich and engaging but still with excellent technical performance and a still decent amount of separation and soundstage size.
I think tonally, it's the most analogous match to the Solaris 2020 from the current EE line up.
I'd probably throw Legend X (original version) into the ring as well, as it again is a bit more of a dark and rich tuning, as well as an outstanding technical performance.
And, unlike the all-BA Phantom, it's a DD-hybrid IEM, so there's more commonalities there again :)

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #11,297 of 12,035
EE's lineup is a lot like CFA's in that they go for wildly different tuning profiles. I've only heard the Legend X and Bravado MKii which are nothing like the Solaris at all. The Odin would probably be the closest thing in their current lineup, except it has an upper mid-range that is the exact opposite of Solaris'-- I haven't heard it though. The truth is the Solaris is near the top of its game for what it does-- there are many IEMs that excel it in certain specific ways but I'm not aware of any that constitute a comprehensive upgrade to Solaris at everything it does best.

Thummim :wink:

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #11,298 of 12,035

Given everything I've heard about its bass I'm more inclined to think of Thummim as a one up of the Dorado more than the Solaris, whose identity imho somewhat consists of its very modest bass response. I haven't heard Thum though so I can only speculate.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #11,299 of 12,035
Given everything I've heard about its bass I'm more inclined to think of Thummim as a one up of the Dorado more than the Solaris, whose identity imho somewhat consists of its very modest bass response. I haven't heard Thum though so I can only speculate.

And Ive not heard the Dorado so it very well may be. Ol Rona making it difficult to demo.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #11,300 of 12,035
I've heard Thummim and I wasn't overly impressed with it tbh. It reminded me somewhat of a Legend X's sound sig while implementing some of the Solaris's sound staging properties... I make it sound appealing but it didn't really gel with me at all, the treble sounded muted and hazy to me when going back and forth between it and the LX. It came across as more of an "L" shape signature albeit less capable in some technical aspects compared to the LX while having slightly better detail retrieval. Dynamics and extension on both ends were not great to me. One aspect Thummim excelled was mid bass texture and it trumped the LX in this respect but the bass didn't extend as deep. Compared to the Solaris SE, Thummim's holographic sound stage and imaging capacity seemed to be hampered by its accentuated bass response although it definitely came across as holographic in some instances. Worth an audition but I certainly wouldn't take a chance blind buying.

EDIT - I'd say it's sound is more reminiscent of the LX than anything else I've heard whereas the Dorado 2020 is a definitive "W" sound sig. Solaris sounds much more balanced and relatively neutral.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #11,301 of 12,035
Nothing beats the large original silicone tips.
These are already the second SpinFits, which significantly strengthen sibilance...

20210804_171157.jpg

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #11,302 of 12,035
Spinfits have always been a bit treble hot.

Stock silicones are ok, but….Spiral dots++
(Or spiral dots original)….mmm… another level to the Solaris (and many CA IEMs)….imho

6771BCF0-11D0-4C13-88B1-EBA9F509405F.jpeg

…but then if you have decided that ‘…nothing beats the large original silicone tips…’…..

thesis> anti thesis> synthesis

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #11,303 of 12,035
Thanks for the "tip".
I wanted to try them years ago, but had not remembered.

What is the difference between original and ++ ?

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #11,305 of 12,035
Am I insane enough to order tips from Japan for 33€?
Yes 😬
I am curious. The ++ are on the way

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #11,307 of 12,035
Solaris is indeed an outstanding IEM from a technical standpoint-- imho it easily holds its own with the likes of heavyweights like the Andromeda, u12t and IER Z1R. It is all around one of the truly great IEMs of the last 5 years...happy to see it's still getting lots of love. I'm actually tempted to pick up a used OG Solaris some day just to hear how it sounds to me after everything I've heard since.
Even after 3 centuries
They're worth the throw back down in memory lane...
1628164648444.png

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #11,308 of 12,035
Solaris is working 😬👍

20210807_081423.jpg

Awesome expirience...

Screenshot_20210807-081608_Neutron Player.jpg

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #11,310 of 12,035
Yeah.
A great recording and mastering also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back