Campfire - Solaris
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #10,846 of 12,035
Well from what I can derive from their marketing materials, both the 2020 and LE uses the same drivers which are different from the previous iterations (OG and SE). Now if these drivers weren’t available when the SE was released and CFA had used the “best drivers available to them” at that time, then why wasn’t this comment also made in the (much more expensive) SE’s marketing material as this still would have been truthful at the time? It just seems like a strange wording precedent to set to me.

If they're the best available currently and employed in the 2020 (corroborated by the release info) its more likely than not marketing buzz. The most realistic situation based on release time line and 400 units is that the 2020 drivers are implemented in a large shell outside of the boot for acoustic reasons with respect to staging. /shrug I got dorado on the way anyhow. I dont think the release presser is a low key conspiracy against 2020 owners (suggesting they got subpar drivers). The reality is 2020 owners chose form (20% smaller) via the solid body boot implementation and may have sacrificed some staging due to the acoustics of that form; the LE allows CA to sacrifice nothing as a pet project(i.e. the drivers are an improvement over the OG/SE but they commercially released the booted 2020 to address the Solaris biggest complaint, size).

Kinda talking in circles at this point! That's my line of thinking.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #10,847 of 12,035
If they're the best available currently and employed in the 2020 (corroborated by the release info) its more likely than not marketing buzz. The most realistic situation based on release time line and 400 units is that the 2020 drivers are implemented in a large shell outside of the boot for acoustic reasons with respect to staging. /shrug I got dorado on the way anyhow. I dont think the release presser is a low key conspiracy against 2020 owners (suggesting they got subpar drivers). The reality is 2020 owners chose form (20% smaller) via the solid body boot implementation and may have sacrificed some staging due to the acoustics of that form; the LE allows CA to sacrifice nothing as a pet project(i.e. the drivers are an improvement over the OG/SE but they commercially released the booted 2020 to address the Solaris biggest complaint, size).

Kinda talking in circles at this point! That's my line of thinking.
I think you are maybe getting a little confused, my point is in regard to the Solaris SE and nothing to do with the 2020. But I feel that we won’t get an answer to this so.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #10,848 of 12,035
I think you are maybe getting a little confused, my point is in regard to the Solaris SE and nothing to do with the 2020. But I feel that we won’t get an answer to this so.
I've asked ALO/Campfire to clarify the following:
-LE drivers = 2020 drivers
-LE does/does not use the ceramic acoustic chamber from the SE
-LE does not use the boot from the 2020

I think my original email to them with these questions got lost, so I clarified them yesterday and I expect I'll hear back Mon or Tues latest.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #10,852 of 12,035
I've asked ALO/Campfire to clarify the following:
-LE drivers = 2020 drivers
-LE does/does not use the ceramic acoustic chamber from the SE
-LE does not use the boot from the 2020

I think my original email to them with these questions got lost, so I clarified them yesterday and I expect I'll hear back Mon or Tues latest.
Unfortunately ALO didn't answer all my questions explicitly, but what they did confirm is:
-the LE uses the 2020 drivers
-the LE does NOT use the ceramic acoustic chamber from the SE
-the LE uses a unique Solid Body internal tuning chamber

Either way, I'm really enjoying it...it's a fun tuning and the stage is marvelous.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #10,853 of 12,035
Some additional comparisons now that I've had the Z1R, MEST, Nio, and Andromeda MW10:

Campfire Solaris 2020 vs
  • Sony IER-Z1R: Compared the Solaris 2020, the IER-Z1R has slightly better detail retrieval, smoother treble (barring cymbals, which can come across as rather sharp), and significantly better bass quality (quantity, texture). But it also has reduced soundstage, it's not as holographic, and the mids are much thinner than the Solaris 2020. Strings of all kinds are more engaging on the Solaris 2020: cellos and violins have more life, and guitars (acoustic and electric) have more crunch. Overall the IER-Z1R is less engaging but also safer than the Solaris 2020, if you ignore its ridiculous fit.
  • Unique Melody MEST: The MEST boasts better detail retrieval and significantly better bass (slam, texture). It has a smaller soundstage than the 2020 but manages to be as holographic - sometimes more holographic. It's an engaging listen, moreso than the IER-Z1R. The MEST was missing too much in the mids for my own taste, and the acoustic guitar in complex post-rock tracks sometimes got lost. However, is a solid rec for people that don't care for the thick, rich mids of the Solaris 2020.
  • Campfire Andromeda MW10: The MW10 has a similarly wide soundstage and also safer overall tuning. It has smoother treble, which some will prefer, and while the bass isn't DD bass, it reaches deep enough into sub-bass to be satisfying. The mids are not too thick - a tad on the warm side, not thin like the Z1R, but not syrupy like the the Solaris 2020. Overall the MW10 is almost as engaging as the Solaris 2020, with a well-loved tuning, and it would be my blind rec to most people.
  • 64 Audio Nio: I've talked about the Nio before, but I've grown to love it. It is now my second favorite IEM next to the Solaris 2020, and it could not be more different. The Nio has less soundstage, worse technicalities, and struggles with complex tracks in comparison. But it has this addictive, syrupy, thick bass, just wow. It has relaxing, smooth treble with a spike near 17k to retain airiness. And the mids are also fantastic - thick, enveloping, a warm blanket that can sometimes be a bit too much but it's just what you want in some situations. It's not as versatile, and I wouldn't recommend it as an only IEM. But it's an amazing, similarly emotional complement to the Solaris 2020, and I love it.
Aside from the MEST, these IEMs have incredible build quality. They all ooze quality and craftsmanship. And they are all beautiful, absolutely stunning in person. But in the end, the Solaris 2020 has this unique combination you won't find together in any of the above:
  • respectable sub-bass quantity
  • thick, emotional mids
  • sparkly, airy, and detailed treble
  • enveloping and wide soundstage
The IER-Z1R, MW10, MEST, and Nio - each may hit some of these points, but none of them hit all of them. None except the Solaris 2020. And that's why, as I begin to pare down my collection to one IEM, the Solaris 2020 will be the one I keep.

Some photos are attached for your viewing pleasure :) I never remembered to get a good pic of the MEST. Still, in my opinion the Nio is far and away the most beautiful of the five, with the MW10 a close second. The Solaris 2020 feels the best-built in person and has an understated elegance that none of the others do.

Attachments

• D61F35DF-2EC2-488F-A28C-CE8FE23BBAC4_1_105_c.jpeg
    D61F35DF-2EC2-488F-A28C-CE8FE23BBAC4_1_105_c.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2814.jpeg
    IMG_2814.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #10,854 of 12,035
anyone have any good desktop dac/amp combo pairings for the OG? looking to spend around 1k

currently using a questyle qp2r (happy with the tonality but want more detail) and just tried the n6ii with E01 and E02. Wasn't a huge fan of the presentation of the E01 and E02 on the OG

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #10,855 of 12,035
The Nio has less soundstage, worse technicalities, and struggles with complex tracks in comparison.
Great comparison, even if i don't quite agree with Nio being technically inferior :)
They are very different indeed, but with MX module, at least for me, Nio is just as capable, while sounding a little more relaxed and rounded.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #10,856 of 12,035
Some additional comparisons now that I've had the Z1R, MEST, Nio, and Andromeda MW10:

Campfire Solaris 2020 vs
  • Sony IER-Z1R: Compared the Solaris 2020, the IER-Z1R has slightly better detail retrieval, smoother treble (barring cymbals, which can come across as rather sharp), and significantly better bass quality (quantity, texture). But it also has reduced soundstage, it's not as holographic, and the mids are much thinner than the Solaris 2020. Strings of all kinds are more engaging on the Solaris 2020: cellos and violins have more life, and guitars (acoustic and electric) have more crunch. Overall the IER-Z1R is less engaging but also safer than the Solaris 2020, if you ignore its ridiculous fit.
  • Unique Melody MEST: The MEST boasts better detail retrieval and significantly better bass (slam, texture). It has a smaller soundstage than the 2020 but manages to be as holographic - sometimes more holographic. It's an engaging listen, moreso than the IER-Z1R. The MEST was missing too much in the mids for my own taste, and the acoustic guitar in complex post-rock tracks sometimes got lost. However, is a solid rec for people that don't care for the thick, rich mids of the Solaris 2020.
  • Campfire Andromeda MW10: The MW10 has a similarly wide soundstage and also safer overall tuning. It has smoother treble, which some will prefer, and while the bass isn't DD bass, it reaches deep enough into sub-bass to be satisfying. The mids are not too thick - a tad on the warm side, not thin like the Z1R, but not syrupy like the the Solaris 2020. Overall the MW10 is almost as engaging as the Solaris 2020, with a well-loved tuning, and it would be my blind rec to most people.
  • 64 Audio Nio: I've talked about the Nio before, but I've grown to love it. It is now my second favorite IEM next to the Solaris 2020, and it could not be more different. The Nio has less soundstage, worse technicalities, and struggles with complex tracks in comparison. But it has this addictive, syrupy, thick bass, just wow. It has relaxing, smooth treble with a spike near 17k to retain airiness. And the mids are also fantastic - thick, enveloping, a warm blanket that can sometimes be a bit too much but it's just what you want in some situations. It's not as versatile, and I wouldn't recommend it as an only IEM. But it's an amazing, similarly emotional complement to the Solaris 2020, and I love it.
Aside from the MEST, these IEMs have incredible build quality. They all ooze quality and craftsmanship. And they are all beautiful, absolutely stunning in person. But in the end, the Solaris 2020 has this unique combination you won't find together in any of the above:
  • thick, emotional mids
The IER-Z1R, MW10, MEST, and Nio - each may hit some of these points, but none of them hit all of them. None except the Solaris 2020. And that's why, as I begin to pare down my collection to one IEM, the Solaris 2020 will be the one I keep.

Some photos are attached for your viewing pleasure :) I never remembered to get a good pic of the MEST. Still, in my opinion the Nio is far and away the most beautiful of the five, with the MW10 a close second. The Solaris 2020 feels the best-built in person and has an understated elegance that none of the others do.

Interesting comparison, thanks for taking the time to write it up. Can I ask what source you were using to compare these?

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #10,857 of 12,035

Campfire Solaris 2020 vs
  • thick, emotional mids

I hope to hear the Nio sometime. I've never really connected with a 64 Audio IEM and the Nio seems the most likely to do the trick for me.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #10,858 of 12,035
I hope to hear the Nio sometime. I've never really connected with a 64 Audio IEM and the Nio seems the most likely to do the trick for me.
I am confident it won't do the trick for you. Your Elysium is superior to the Nio.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #10,859 of 12,035
Unfortunately ALO didn't answer all my questions explicitly, but what they did confirm is:

Either way, I'm really enjoying it...it's a fun tuning and the stage is marvelous.
Great review!

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #10,860 of 12,035

Does it sound (really) different to the 2020 `?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back