Campfire - Solaris
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #10,771 of 12,035
solaris SE was limited to 500? seems like there are quite a bit in the classified section, unlike the mw10

MW10 is rare in the classified section because it was a Japan only release, unlike the SE Solaris which was released worldwide. Incidentally before the Elysium captured my heart and sealed the fate of the MW10 I was, after a week of a/b, coming to realize that the MW10 is super close in sound to the Solaris SE-- which makes sense as the two have the same ceramic tuning chamber and were built and released at the same time. The MW10 is a lot closer in sound to the SE Solaris than the Andromeda 2020 was and it was beginning to seem to me that my only justification for keeping it would be the novelty and bling factor. Add on to that the thing was so precious I was afraid to touch it half the time and I'm not sure how long I would have kept it anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #10,772 of 12,035
anyone have a comparison between Solaris 2020 and the Andro gold? I see both available on classifieds occasionally and wondered which would have the wider soundstage and decent bass (not EDM style but clean for Jazz listening etc.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #10,773 of 12,035
anyone have a comparison between Solaris 2020 and the Andro gold? I see both available on classifieds occasionally and wondered which would have the wider soundstage and decent bass (not EDM style but clean for Jazz listening etc.
In my opinion, the Solaris has the Gold beat on soundstage; for bass, it depends on your preferences. The gold has very good bass for an BA (if you’ve ever heard the U12t with the m15 module, the Andro’s bass approaches that); the Solaris has very good bass for a DD, without being overwhelming - I consider the Solaris’ tuning to be on the warm side of neutral.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #10,775 of 12,035
Hey thanks for that @gnahra! I’m preferable to a Werner sound than neutral m, clinical or stark. I believe the “feel” of a DD would be better for base than a BA.
Shame there are no retailers here in the UAE :frowning2:
Right, i assume you meant you prefer a “warmer” sound...both the Solaris and Gold are warm, IMHO, but if you prefer the feel of a DD for bass and want the one with wider stage, I’d suggest the 2020.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #10,776 of 12,035

I have both and to me Solaris 2020 has the wider soundstage(maybe too wide for me), but AG has the better bass and is more engaging in general. Tips play a big factor in which one I prefer overall. I've settled on foam tips for the Solaris 2020 with Kimber cable.

For AG, I use kz starline tips. Foams just sound too cloudy to me on Andros. I prefer a warm sound sig, so I'm surprised I enjoy AG with a silver cable and silicone tips. I would take AG over Solaris 2020 if I just had to keep one. Due to ease of fit and quickly accustomed to sound sig.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #10,777 of 12,035
Hey thanks for that @gnahra! I’m preferable to a Werner sound than neutral m, clinical or stark. I believe the “feel” of a DD would be better for base than a BA.
Shame there are no retailers here in the UAE :frowning2:

Campfire staff are awesome and I strongly recommend directly buying from their online store. :)

Yeah, we don't have a distributor here in the UAE, but their customer service team will help with everything you require. I already bought many items from them over the year including the Cascades, Solaris and Vegas. :)

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #10,778 of 12,035
AG is V (or even U) shaped and hence has a lot more bass than Solaris (OG or 2020).
I had to shelve the bass -3dB on mine to bring it back to acceptable levels.
As far as bass quality (texture, sustain and pitch differentiation), Solaris is noticeably better.

AG is more coherent in the midrange to lower treble, probably because of its crossover-less design. Details was a toss-up between AG and OG Solaris; their different tuning will reveal different parts of the songs.
Resolution, Stage and Imaging all go to Solaris.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #10,779 of 12,035
Solaris Limited edition anyone seen this?

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #10,780 of 12,035
AG is V (or even U) shaped and hence has a lot more bass than Solaris (OG or 2020).
I had to shelve the bass -3dB on mine to bring it back to acceptable levels.
As far as bass quality (texture, sustain and pitch differentiation), Solaris is noticeably better.

AG is more coherent in the midrange to lower treble, probably because of its crossover-less design. Details was a toss-up between AG and OG Solaris; their different tuning will reveal different parts of the songs.
Resolution, Stage and Imaging all go to Solaris.
Hm I personally don't agree with this, but to each his own.
IMHO the Solaris 2020 and LE have much more bass presence than the Gold - more quantity for sure, although the Gold has the more typical BA bass quality if that's preferred. I agree with you regarding the bass quality of the Solaris, but that's also preference-driven (some prefer BA bass).

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #10,781 of 12,035
Solaris Limited edition anyone seen this?
Yes I purchased one a couple of weeks ago and posted brief impressions a couple of pages back.
It's basically a mash-up of the Solaris 2020 drivers in the OG/SE shell (to summarize very briefly). It's quite good, particularly if the OG/SE shell fits you well.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #10,782 of 12,035
Hm I personally don't agree with this, but to each his own.
IMHO the Solaris 2020 and LE have much more bass presence than the Gold - more quantity for sure, although the Gold has the more typical BA bass quality if that's preferred. I agree with you regarding the bass quality of the Solaris, but that's also preference-driven (some prefer BA bass).
I disagree. To me the Gold has the most bass quantity. The SE has the best bass detail and the 2020 in-between the Gold and SE.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #10,783 of 12,035
Highly rec these, just bought a single set along with some Acoustune AET07's that I know to be very good with the Z1R and these sound even better with the solaris. A very tight, clear sound and very comfortable. I don't know what kind of sorcery is going on but its noticeable. I think it may be due to a harder silicone being used for the stem along with the shaper decline from the tip to the body of the tip causing the Solaris to sound very precise. Worth a try for all you tip rollers!

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 12.54.32.png

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/faudio-vocal-eartips-silicon-3-pairs

Finally received my pair of M and L size of these tips. The L fit me supremely well and they do indeed sound fantastic with the Solaris 2020 - full bodied and rich, and I feel like they really emphasise the holographic nature of the Solaris' sound stage.

Bravo - thanks for the heads up (literally) on these.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #10,784 of 12,035
I should have sets of the vocal and instrumental tips in my hands by the end of the week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back