Campfire - Solaris
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #9,241 of 12,035
Noted and added to my shop list. Hopefully similar results with my gear. You can never have too many tips in my experience.
Exactly...I have the other Sedna's as well

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #9,242 of 12,035
As strange as this may sound, the best move I made toward comfort on the OG was swapping the cable. I have found a happy spot with the fit since this upgrade not to mention the added bonus of some slight sound improvements.

I agree, the stock 3.5 cable with the memory wire was terrible. Using the custom cable I got was much nicer with the OG's. The new 2020's come with a smoky litz without the wire and using it with the OG is very comfortable as well. Lots of people carefully cut out that wire from the silver litz cable.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #9,243 of 12,035
I agree, the stock 3.5 cable with the memory wire was terrible. Using the custom cable I got was much nicer with the OG's. The new 2020's come with a smoky litz without the wire and using it with the OG is very comfortable as well. Lots of people carefully cut out that wire from the silver litz cable.
Yep, I was touting the smoky cable when I had the 2020's but folks started talking about wires not giving them problems so I quit talking about it, to me that was a big deal ...even if I cut the wire, the ergonomics are not as good as my after market cable, IMO.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #9,244 of 12,035

I immediately removed the memory wire when I got my OGs lol, never made sense to me to have that.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #9,245 of 12,035
So dongle things got here today and I got to try this out. I think you are right it does actually sound better in high impedance mode and more of reference sound. There is more clarity and detail than before. I did not find that the airiness or soundstage was dramatically improved though. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression that its bad, the LG V30 may be the best player you can get for the Solaris 2020's for $160 or IEMs in general. Anything less than a Solaris it may be a top choice.

the LG v30 in terms of holographic soundstage. I 100% prefer the sound coming out of the balanced zx300 over the lg v30. Its like a magic holographic space of sound that is breathtaking. The LG V30 is very very very good but it just can't touch level of quality of the zx300. Even with the high impedance mode
The V30 was one of the V series tuned by B&O?

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #9,247 of 12,035
Yes it was. Its extremely capable as a DAP and value for money at $160 (used) is insane. But it can not complete with high-end dedicated DAPs. Low to low-mid range daps it may be just as good if not better.
Sad, I had to check my profile. I owned both the V20 and V30 and my take of both was they are great for a phone but couldn't beat my DAP's I had at the time. It was when phones still had headphone jacks and not the god awful dongle. Thought I will say I have the DC01 and The Paw S1 and both of those have power and great SQ.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #9,248 of 12,035
Sad, I had to check my profile. I owned both the V20 and V30 and my take of both was they are great for a phone but couldn't beat my DAP's I had at the time. It was when phones still had headphone jacks and not the god awful dongle. Thought I will say I have the DC01 and The Paw S1 and both of those have power and great SQ.

Its the Solaris thread so my opinion is specific to that. If you pair the LG V30 with the 2020 or OG Solaris you are holding them back from their peak performance. If however you have any other IEM or headphone you may be totally fine with only the LG. Probably the $500 IEM or lower range? Its a amazing player for sure. But since this is the Solaris thread I am trying to stay on topic so specific to how it relates to Solaris as a pairing. I wouldn't recommend it for peak performance.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #9,249 of 12,035
Its the Solaris thread so my opinion is specific to that. If you pair the LG V30 with the 2020 or OG Solaris you are holding them back from their peak performance. If however you have any other IEM or headphone you may be totally fine with only the LG. Probably the $500 IEM or lower range? Its a amazing player for sure. But since this is the Solaris thread I am trying to stay on topic so specific to how it relates to Solaris as a pairing. I wouldn't recommend it for peak performance.
I understand and was agreeing with your above comment that it couldn't compete with high end dedicated DAPs

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #9,250 of 12,035
There is no way to turn on high impedance mode on the v30 that i can see. All mentions of it say to buy a dongle to trick it and then plug into that, or to root the phone and do it via a software. You cant just flag it on and off as is. Apparently the v20 you could just by holding down the hifi dac icon. I listen to everything at 14-18 volume at most V30 and 2020's so its certainly not lacking in power.

14-18? How old are you and do you have ears of a bat? Mate, that's insanely low volume.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #9,251 of 12,035
As much as I would love to try one of these top end DAPs, there are some mitigating factors which mean I will stick with my V30 until a more compelling smartphone presents itself -

1) Insane cost
2)

14-18? How old are you and do you have ears of a bat? Mate, that's insanely low volume.
I might not remember this accurately , but I think you can set a desired number of volume steps.
And when you toggle the Quad Dac on I think it goes to 75, from maybe 25. Again, I am not sure if I remember correctly.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #9,253 of 12,035

When you have the 'high impedance' on it ramps up the power output like high gain. I did not listen at those volume levels under normal operation. Remember the Solaris 2020 are not high impedance devices, you need that dongle/root to trick the LG V30 to put its output in that mode. That power has to go somewhere and it super charges the volume on the Solaris.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #9,254 of 12,035
When you have the 'high impedance' on it ramps up the power output like high gain. I did not listen at those volume levels under normal operation. Remember the Solaris 2020 are not high impedance devices, you need that dongle/root to trick the LG V30 to put its output in that mode. That power has to go somewhere and it super charges the volume on the Solaris.

Yes I know that. I didn't realise you meant in high impedence mode, sorry.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #9,255 of 12,035
What are your thoughts and experiences when it comes to high end cables, such as the top tier of Effect Audio, Eletech, Pw audio etc what are your thoughts on the longevity of them?
If one buys a ~1000 usd cable , is it reasonable to expect it to last at least 10 yrs if not more?
Do their sound get ruined by oxidation, do they become stiff or do their connections get damaged/cut of internally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back