Campfire - Solaris
May 18, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #8,538 of 12,035
"1. Lower impendance = fuller bass" - referring to output impedance of source, not IEM impedance
I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong lol... Hopefully someone more technical can assist here. But I have read up about it as I had this issue with my first IEM the Sony XBA-4 which had an impedance rating of 8ohms and needed a source with an output impedance <1ohm without the bass sounding completely rolled-off. I think this article explained it fairly well but I'm pretty sure there's lots of info within headfi somewhere:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/
just read ur signature, nice lineup of IEMs u got, comparison would be awesome

May 18, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,539 of 12,035
Yeah agree they are very similar :) the only difference I’ve noticed is with higher impedance sources. Lower the impedance, the fuller the bass, which is the same as the SE but with the 2020 the mid bass thickens up even further, which makes sense as it’s impedance is 5 ohms higher

This is going to be a bit silly but can you see how the 2020's play on your Sony A105? Curious about the hiss and sound and to see if that change to 15Ω in the 2020's made them easier to drive or stupidly easier to drive.

May 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #8,541 of 12,035
From my point of view new softer case is bad design decision. Case is for protection, and I like previous versions of CA cases for that. Also, form of the new case is not for my taste. It is more suited for women. Old one - for men.

Does anyone know if the Solaris earpiece is exactly the same shape in the old package and the newer revision? I heard the special edition changed the earpiece shape and thickness. Not sure if there was a silent revision on the Solaris earpiece shape, when the case was updated from the old square shape to the new coffee pouch shape.

May 18, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #8,542 of 12,035
Hi Guys,

Does anyone with the new 2020 Solaris also have experience with the Shure 846 as a comparison?
Would appreciate any observations.
I have been using a pair of those since they came out, had not heard about Campfire Audio until last week.
Besides the Shure 846, I have owned mainly Westones.
Will probably pull the trigger if they are a noticeable improvement.

May 18, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #8,543 of 12,035
Hi Guys,

Does anyone with the new 2020 Solaris also have experience with the Shure 846 as a comparison?
I have been using a pair of those since they came out, had not heard about Campfire Audio until last week.
i had them.. quite a while ago , you will get a big improvement in every aspect... (in sound, fit is ear depending )

May 18, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #8,545 of 12,035
Does anyone know if the Solaris earpiece is exactly the same shape in the old package and the newer revision? I heard the special edition changed the earpiece shape and thickness. Not sure if there was a silent revision on the Solaris earpiece shape, when the case was updated from the old square shape to the new coffee pouch shape.
The SE and OG earpieces are identical.

May 18, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #8,547 of 12,035
The SE and OG earpieces are identical.
hmm... supposed to be the same size... since my custom eartip fit perfectly in both OG and SE...

Reading about 2020 handling better in Hiss, create temptation ...

May 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #8,549 of 12,035
could use ifi iematch?
I have ifi earbuddy, haven't tried the IEmatch 2.5 ...
Yes, it helped reduce Hiss especially using smartphone or ipad (youtube, netflix etc)...
but for serious audio time, I prefer using direct DAP and nice 24 bit flac... IMO

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #8,550 of 12,035
Hi Guys,

I have only demo'ed the Shure's in store but I didn't feel they in any way at all competed with the Solaris. Maybe they are easier to drive with players? Thats about all i could think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back