Campfire - Solaris
Oct 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #6,392 of 12,035
Thanks for the feedback. I can't really afford DX220 and I'm looking for a portable DAC/AMP. I really like the balanced sound of Solaris and I like the Harman target sound. the less hiss the better, I don't really like carrying extra dongles (like iEMatch) around.
U use the DAP with Solaris and Headphone ???
just suggestion (affordable DAP that manage HISS to Solaris)
- CAYIN N5iis (must go balanced). 2nd hand, What I know no New Product. Good manage HISS. Neutral to Warm.
- Shanling M3s (neutral to bright), waterfall HISS, PLASTIC Body....
- Shanling M5s (a bit bright). waterfall HISS
- SONY ZX300, this baby WARM....
All above handle better HISS then FIIO DAP. IMHO.

If you have Android SMARTPhone from S@msung or use CIRRUS DAC, install UAPP. should serve you well...

If you really must Neutral sound sig, get A&K DAP, hmm.. 2nd hand, Futura or KANN will do... Almost zero HISS with SOLARIS, wide soundstage & FLAT ....

edit: u used DX150 right ? get AMP1Mk2... that can be optional. Changing SE to TRRS will pick up a bit Hiss, but it worthy with the additional MID/Vocal detail... IMHO

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #6,393 of 12,035
Maybe a DX120 is in your price range. It has a wonderful balanced output. It isn't a full featured DAP but focuses on sound quality.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #6,394 of 12,035
U use the DAP with Solaris and Headphone ???
just suggestion (affordable DAP that manage HISS to Solaris)
- CAYIN N5iis (must go balanced). 2nd hand, What I know no New Product. Good manage HISS. Neutral to Warm.
- Shanling M3s (neutral to bright), waterfall HISS, PLASTIC Body....
- Shanling M5s (a bit bright). waterfall HISS
- SONY ZX300, this baby WARM....
All above handle better HISS then FIIO DAP. IMHO.

If you have Android SMARTPhone from S@msung or use CIRRUS DAC, install UAPP. should serve you well...

If you really must Neutral sound sig, get A&K DAP, hmm.. 2nd hand, Futura or KANN will do... Almost zero HISS with SOLARIS, wide soundstage & FLAT ....

edit: u used DX150 right ? get AMP1Mk2... that can be optional. Changing SE to TRRS will pick up a bit Hiss, but it worthy with the additional MID/Vocal detail... IMHO
Interesting, I find the M5s to be silent.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #6,395 of 12,035
Maybe a DX120 is in your price range. It has a wonderful balanced output. It isn't a full featured DAP but focuses on sound quality.
Wow... is better then DX90 ?

Interesting, I find the M5s to be silent.
I see.. Yes... you probably right, since I Tried this for more then 9 months...
BTW, M5s still no Google play ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #6,397 of 12,035
20191004_154106.jpg
HiBY R6 Pro.. also nice pairing with Solaris... for me, a bit Hiss... but neglectable when play song...
Neutral tends to Bright for me...

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #6,399 of 12,035

HiBY R6 Pro.. also nice pairing with Solaris... for me, a bit Hiss... but neglectable when play song...
Neutral tends to Bright for me...
There are many DAPs I could have recommended. One of the reason I chose the DX120 to recommend is @Arghavan said he couldn't afford the a DX220. It does have a great sounding balanced output but if you want wifi, look elsewhere

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #6,400 of 12,035
I see.. Yes... you probably right said:
No, Google play. The M5s is not Android base, Linux I believe.

I need to pair the M5s and Solaris again, can't remember how they sounded together.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #6,401 of 12,035
I have been using the Shanling M5s to drive my Solaris since I got the M5s. I love this combo. M5s has a slighly warmer tone due to the outstanding dynamics of the sound. Matches up with the Solaris extremely well. Very dynamic in the truest sense of the word with this pairing.Hiss is at a minimum barely if at all noticeable. Bass is unreal using this combo. Vocals pop and treble is clean and detailed. Love this combo.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #6,402 of 12,035
Thanks for the feedback. I can't really afford DX220 and I'm looking for a portable DAC/AMP. I really like the balanced sound of Solaris and I like the Harman target sound. the less hiss the better, I don't really like carrying extra dongles (like iEMatch) around.
Fiio M11 maybe ? ive read it comes very close to dx220

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #6,403 of 12,035
I have been using the Shanling M5s to drive my Solaris since I got the M5s. I love this combo. M5s has a slighly warmer tone due to the outstanding dynamics of the sound. Matches up with the Solaris extremely well. Very dynamic in the truest sense of the word with this pairing.Hiss is at a minimum barely if at all noticeable. Bass is unreal using this combo. Vocals pop and treble is clean and detailed. Love this combo.
I second that on the bass

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #6,405 of 12,035
M5s had bass...?
interesting...

Shanling house sound is very dynamic. Very musical tuning on their players. Wide stage with deep full layered sound. I loved my older M3s so much I bought the M5s with no need to see a review of it. Shanling tuning is consistent and I can see their new M6 being the real deal when it comes to sound. It is one of several daps I am currently very interested in. Others being the DX160 and the Fiio M11 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back