Campfire - Solaris
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,761 of 12,035
In the ranking list there is this huge disclaimer that it is his preference.

also people can read on an article he post detailing the "technicalities" that he sees in iem.

At the end of the day it's his preference, u should always demo the unit u want to buy and don't take one's opinion as your Bible if you do that then if you regret your purchase that's on you.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #5,762 of 12,035
Hmm... shall we move on...?

20190711_114639.jpg

Was doing IEM rotation...somehow, SOLARIS Sound sig is stuck in my brain... no matter I listen other IEM, still my hand reach back to my SOLARIS again..

Chris Brown new album, show how rumble detail can SOLARIS produce...
btw, for my ear, SOLARIS is better with Silver based material, Pure Copper is good but I miss the micro detail it produce...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #5,765 of 12,035
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #5,766 of 12,035
Using scientific method in reviewing can be useful, but to me is inherently problematic because you are trying to use measurement to describe something arbitrary that's is interpreted by the brain.

But that's not what measurements are good at. What you can do with measurements is check the fidelity of sound reproduction.

Consider an ideal binaural microphone (sound wave to electrical signal converter) and recording process. You use this setup to record some sound (e.g. an orchestra, or waves crashing on the beach, whatever). Consider you now have an ideal reproduction process and your target headphones (electrical signal to sound wave converter). You use this setup to play back the original recording back into the microphone and record again. Finally, you check how close the second recording is to the reference one.

This will not tell you if you'll enjoy these headphones more than another pair, but it will tell you if they are better.

Of course, the kind of equipment required to make my thought experiment a real one is beyond the means of your typical reviewer, so I don't expect to see such an analysis on Head-Fi anytime soon.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #5,767 of 12,035
rutter is that you?

The first thing that impressed me about Solaris (coming from Atlas) is its holographic imagery and massive soundstage...it's not even close. Atlas feels almost cramped in comparison (I still love it though).

@ me next time if you'd like to summon me as I'm unsubscribed to this thread. I do agree the difference in impressions is absolutely bizarre. I expect if you were to ever try a Sennheiser HD8X0X you'll surpass the limits of your vocabulary in expressing imagery and soundstage. Of course, this is ludicrous. I've sold my IER-Z1R which I found to be better than the Solaris so I've moved on from IEMs but some of you should expand your horizons at least a little bit.

Rofl, let rutter RIP.

What is this kid doing on the floor?

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #5,768 of 12,035
Jul 11, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #5,770 of 12,035
@ me next time if you'd like to summon me as I'm unsubscribed to this thread. I do agree the difference in impressions is absolutely bizarre. I expect if you were to ever try a Sennheiser HD8X0X you'll surpass the limits of your vocabulary in expressing imagery and soundstage. Of course, this is ludicrous. I've sold my IER-Z1R which I found to be better than the Solaris so I've moved on from IEMs but some of you should expand your horizons at least a little bit.

The HD800 sounds as thin as p*ss so your opinion is already negated in my eyes. I’ve also read that the mids on the z1r are recessed and is overpowered by the bass with people preferring the cheaper m9 model.... so get back under your bridge.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #5,771 of 12,035
But that's not what measurements are good at. What you can do with measurements is check the fidelity of sound reproduction.

Consider an ideal binaural microphone (sound wave to electrical signal converter) and recording process. You use this setup to record some sound (e.g. an orchestra, or waves crashing on the beach, whatever). Consider you now have an ideal reproduction process and your target headphones (electrical signal to sound wave converter). You use this setup to play back the original recording back into the microphone and record again. Finally, you check how close the second recording is to the reference one.

This will not tell you if you'll enjoy these headphones more than another pair, but it will tell you if they are better.

Of course, the kind of equipment required to make my thought experiment a real one is beyond the means of your typical reviewer, so I don't expect to see such an analysis on Head-Fi anytime soon.

It's a good point (and a good experiment). Despite being an analyst by trade, I didn't explain myself very well at all there - what I was trying to say was that even the most faithful reproductions of a sound wave may be interpreted differently by two different brains, as the process of turning the information back into "music" in the head is a very unique and personal one for each listener, and is coloured by their own personal hearing efficiencies/deficiencies and preferences. I agree that you can use measurements to validate some absolute facts about a headphone, but as you say, the rigour and the means required to do that is beyond the means of most on this site bar a very select few (I'm definitely not one of them!).

Wasn't on the side of "measurement is bad" in any particular argument as I think they do serve a useful purpose, but I do like to acknowledge that in something as subjective as listening to music, they also don't tell the whole picture sometimes.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #5,772 of 12,035

How's the DX220 working for you?

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #5,773 of 12,035
The HD800 sounds as thin as p*ss so your opinion is already negated in my eyes. I’ve also read that the mids on the z1r are recessed and is overpowered by the bass with people preferring the cheaper m9 model.... so get back under your bridge.

Woah there edge-lord. I didn't comment on other qualities of the HD800s. The IER-Z1R has overpowering bass if you're listening through crap is my impression. Overall it's better than the Solaris in my opinion, but it has its own shortcomings and doesn't bust out of the IEM sound so I sold it.

How's the DX220 working for you?

Turns out the Sony ZX300 + Fiio A5 sounds better with the HD650 than the iBasso DX220. It appears you were right about Sony doing something special spatially. The DAC of the ZX300 definitely outperforms the DX220 spatially in my experience. But at this point I'm not surprised by shitters in "head" audio. Still keeping it for portable use but obviously I wouldn't go around like a headless chicken/Whitigir raving about it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #5,774 of 12,035
You're right, it's also about subbass. :p

Rofl, let rutter RIP.
This is cliche to think about Atlas as bass/subbass. Atlas is DD which covers whole range of sound, i.e. mids and highs too. If Solaris is unacceptable for me but Atlas is enjoy, maybe this is because of DD mids and highs?

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #5,775 of 12,035
I didn't listen to HD800, but I listened HD800S and HD820. HD800S, while has poor bass, is very good headphones. I like them, I enjoy with them. Maybe because they are DD too?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back