Campfire - Solaris
Jul 7, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,716 of 12,035
I hear no hiss...if someone else has the QA361 and Solaris please feel free to chime in. If a wonderful GUI is needed or important to you, the QA361 is not for you. I don't care about a touch screen or graphical menus or even album art, for that matter. If a DAP has it, great. The scrolling is super fast on the QA361 and the sound is reference.

Not to be a contrarian, but a DAP that doesn’t stream isn’t a complete product in mid-2019, why limit your music choices to what you’ve ripped? There’s to much great music out their that I don’t have to copy.

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #5,717 of 12,035
Not to be a contrarian, but a DAP that doesn’t stream isn’t a complete product in mid-2019, why limit your music choices to what you’ve ripped? There’s to much great music out their that I don’t have to copy.

Excellent question.

I have lots of ripped music, as well as subscriptions to Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon (the latter not streaming per se, but interfaces with both, which I use at home on my wired/wi-fi network). I live in the Chicago area, and use T-Mobile for mobile service. I cannot always rely on having enough data, bandwidth and/or signal strength in any given area, and do not wish to use public wi-fi for security reasons.....

That said, I do like having a dap with wi-fi, for home use on my secure wi-fi, for sitting on the stoop, back porch, or even a real short walk......

I stream to discover new music, then buy/rip/whatever to get it stored on my dap.

As for the 'deeper' issue- can a full-featured dap sound as good as one of the single-purpose file player daps? Seems like they can, but not with the same creature comforts. I have a QA361 and a DTR-1, along with a N6 vii. I use a dap mostly outside-gotta be able to see the screen in daylight. Not all are created equal. Seems like features + great sound costs more $$ though.

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #5,718 of 12,035
along with a N6 vii.

How are you liking the Cayin with Solaris? I'm loving it so far and thinking it may be a perfect pairing...hoping to throw down some more detailed impressions soon.

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,719 of 12,035

The last two DAPs I have reviewed and one soon to be reviewed have been "featureless". They have had a focus on sound quality not providing features that, if you don't use, you have to pay for. I also have a subscription to Tidal and Qobuz. I download both of these apps to my phone and stream like crazy. I can stream anywhere and not have to find a public wi-fi connection, saves me carrying multiple devices and the worry of public wi-fi security.

If I decide to carry two devices I have enough DAP's to satisfy.

The DX120 is a fantastic music player, less features than DX200, much less money, excellent sound quality. Does the sound quality rival the DX200 or is it diminishing returns?

The QP2R is an excellent DAP, from what I am told it will hiss with sensitive IEMs, but I have none except Solaris, haven't tried it yet. Featureless, focus on music, rich, organic.

The QA361 featureless, reference sound, lots of power, no hiss to my ears.

Just to name a few, please see my signature....

For my purposes, I am either listening to music critically for reviews or when I am exercising, walking the dog etc. I have DAP's at home and some of those DAPs have a Android based UI so I could download apps if I wish. Everyone has different purposes and listens to music differently.

If and when I purchase a Kann Cube, it will be a luxury purchase, only. I will let you know if I am streaming when I purchase it. I just know without all of the features it wouldn't be a $1500 DAP.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #5,720 of 12,035
Jul 7, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #5,721 of 12,035
The last two DAPs I have reviewed and one soon to be reviewed have been "featureless". They have had a focus on sound quality not providing features that, if you don't use, you have to pay for. I also have a subscription to Tidal and Qobuz. I download both of these apps to my phone and stream like crazy. I can stream anywhere and not have to find a public wi-fi connection, saves me carrying multiple devices and the worry of public wi-fi security.

If I decide to carry two devices I have enough DAP's to satisfy.

The DX120 is a fantastic music player, less features than DX200, much less money, excellent sound quality. Does the sound quality rival the DX200 or is it diminishing returns?

The QP2R is an excellent DAP, from what I am told it will hiss with sensitive IEMs, but I have none except Solaris, haven't tried it yet. Featureless, focus on music, rich, organic.

The QA361 featureless, reference sound, lots of power, no hiss to my ears.

Just to name a few, please see my signature....

For my purposes, I am either listening to music critically for reviews or when I am exercising, walking the dog etc. I have DAP's at home and some of those DAPs have a Android based UI so I could download apps if I wish. Everyone has different purposes and listens to music differently.

If and when I purchase a Kann Cube, it will be a luxury purchase, only. I will let you know if I am streaming when I purchase it. I just know without all of the features it wouldn't be a $1500 DAP.
If you like the qp2r . Try the Cowon PL .. :) it’s the best “featureless” dap I’ve heard

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #5,722 of 12,035
Hi,

I’ve had a chance to compare u12t and Solaris, so I’ve decided to share a few very brief thoughts... I’m not much of a reviewer, though. I don’t want to comment much on a fit (nor based my review on it) because Solaris housing is huge, and it wasn’t much comfortable for me - after a long listening my ears even hurt because the diverging nozzle pushed my Antitragus/Antihelix. However, for the time of comparison I was able to get I good isolation with both – I’ve found some ear-tips after some serious tip rolling.

Bass: I’d say equal from a certain point of view - u12t is faster, the punch is there (for BA) as well as the precision – I’ve found the bass accuracy on high level with both – bass instruments as well as electronic bass. Solaris doesn’t hit deeper, about the same as u12t, but the bass is wider (overall the sound has more openness and spaciousness) and response leaner with a longer duration, which might cause a feeling that the lows frequency extends much more than in the case of u12t, but it’s mostly the mentioned duration thus the bass is “more fun” you can enjoy it more. Anyway, it’s typical difference between balanced armatures and dynamic driver bass – very high standard in the case of u12t, good enough (depth / resolution very good) but very well-balanced hybrid rendition with mids and high in the case of the Solaris. (No winner here, I’d favour Solaris over u12t a bit because I enjoy the bass more).

Mids: u12t is more natural, even though not reference tuned. Solaris are somehow backward in comparison to u12t, even though u12t mids are not the clearest and optimally positioned as I’ve heard from an IEMs. Listening to a solo without instruments or background music, the vocals sounded nice on both, Solaris was maybe a little bit better here - they made everything sound more “3D”, while u12t sounds more focused and thinner. Vocals with background music and instruments (either pop, orchestra, electro, jazz, rock’n’roll, alternative modern genres, etc.) sounded better on u12t, imo. Vocals are more forward in comparison to Solaris. (I’d prefer u12t, just for the vocals. Vocals are my favourite parts of songs (while I enjoy classical music as well – like opera) and while both performed solid, I have other favourites).

Treble: Firstly, I’m slightly treble sensitive thus I sometime found the treble annoying. Solaris performs very solidly (hard to find any downsides here nor anything amazing either except for the openness and extension – this shows how were balanced Solaris is) while u12t is significantly brighter. If you are treble-sensitive u12t treble might become annoying in certain songs. On the other hand, brighter sound is typical for most of the 64audio IEMs. (I’d prefer Solaris as a better all-arounder, the reason is that I'm treble sensitive. In case the song isn't "screaming" I'd prefer u12t).

Observation:
  • Solaris is much more source dependant and more “hissy”.
  • Solaris performs way better in the low volumes, you have turn the volume up significantly to hear u12t shine.
  • u12T is more musical - I mean, the goal of 64audio to be focused on musicians is obvious.
  • Technicalities and instruments interpretation go in the favour of u12t.
  • Layering is about equal.
  • Solaris sounds more fun in a way (everyone defines fun sound differently :)).
  • Instruments are separated on both about equally, but u12t is much more precise, while Solaris is much more open and spacious.
  • Resolution is about equal.
  • Soundstage and openness go in the favour of Solaris (TOTL performance).
  • u12t is brighter and more natural (still far from neutral).
  • Both are good all-arounders.
  • With u12t I liked ear-tips with thinner nozzle (Final E, Sony Hybrid Tips, SpinFit) while in case of Solaris ear-tips with wider nozzle (Acoustune 07a, Azla, Symbio W).
  • The good solution for Solaris if the nozzle makes a pressure to your outer ear are Azla ear-tips – its shape is longer thus deeper insertion and solid sound isolation.
Please, take all of this as my own opinion which usually differs from person to person, not as a dogma.

Cool write-up, thank you for your impressions. The Solaris does hold its own pretty well, all things considered. Doesn’t it?

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #5,724 of 12,035
this is strange , wasnt my post but named in the quote ? post is from @

iBo0m
hahaha. I thought U post it...

I think there's some mess up... but at least the content is Nice...

I was on business trip, and need a handy DAP, so I took my N5iiS again..
still one of my prefered DAP, in term of Sound Signature. Neutral tends to Warm.
the Bass is right in the spot. Where as DX221mk2 more focus on layered low (excel in Mid)
, while AMp8 is boost the bass to the extended Which not in my cup of tea.

why I move to DX220, is because N5iiS become a feature less DAP... Google playstore alrd not working smoothly...
The Stock player works fine and good. but its like M5s. Android DAP that have wifi, but no apps to installed with... quite ironic....
I only used 2 apps, UAPP and Spotify from playstore... Having in my smartphone, but need more Sauce (SQ)...

for my ear, Solaris need reference DAP Sound Sig, to get the best out of it. but this is my cup of tea, can be different for you.

just my 2 cent...

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #5,725 of 12,035
If you like the qp2r . Try the Cowon PL .. :) it’s the best “featureless” dap I’ve heard

You should try the N6ii! Brings Solaris to a whole new level.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #5,727 of 12,035
You should try the N6ii! Brings Solaris to a whole new level.
What level was it at before and what level is it at now? I'm just trying to understand what your statement actually means.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #5,729 of 12,035
What level was it at before and what level is it at now? I'm just trying to understand what your statement actually means.

I kind of covered it before in our previous conversation. It comes down to a couple things. 1) Firstly and most importantly is that, compared to the N6ii, much of the sound through the ZX300 almost seems a little veiled, like it's covered in a thin plastic sheen. It's not so bad that you can't get used to it if the ZX300 is your only source, but when you hear another source like the N6ii without it it becomes more obvious. In my review I likened it to the difference between using condoms and not-- with them it's still possible to have an amazing experience, but without them a whole new level of intimacy and connection is possible. 2) I find the DD in the Solaris to respond very well to extra power-- this coupled with the tuning of the N6ii (ie., tastefully elevated low end with a warm end and organic less fatiguing highs) brings out the best in Solaris to my ears. 3) Perhaps due to the extra power the EQ on the N6ii is much more effective and it allows me to make my Solaris sound EXACTLY how I want it to. In a nutshell I find the synergy between the Solaris and the N6ii to be very great-- to my ears and relative to my tastes and preference each brings out the best in the other.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,730 of 12,035
did you heard them with the cowon?

No I haven't unfortunately. The Plenue L was another player I was considering but the N6ii ticked more boxes for me. I defo want to hear the Plenue at some point though (the L or any flagship level).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back