Campfire - Solaris
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4,216 of 12,035
If we were not after perfection, we would buy a pair of $20 skullcandies, plug them into a $50 prepaid phone and be done with it.

No, we are here talking about $1.5k IEMs, $2k DAPs to plug them into, $.5k silver dragon butthole cables from dark side of the moon to carry the signal and an array of eartips to fine tune the sound. Make no mistake, we are seeking perfection.

Releasing a simple frequency response graph is not divulging state secrets. Some manufacturers have done it without going bankrupt, just like I've seen high end restaurants giving out recipes without anyone setting up shop across the street.

Ok, but seeking perfection is a nonsense, a human nonsense, we arise religions in the eternal pursue of perfection, and this perfection doesn’t exist, we and our world are not perfect and never will be...
Music is a about joy...you can seek your music signature, by trying several DAPs, cables, headphones, Eqs, from cheap to expensive to super expensive ones, but the joy is in trying and the music itself...if you seek the “end game” the “perfect match” or whatever you are like a Quijote (and gets angry in the way, and sputs fire against brands)
This hobby is about enjoy the ride, maybe in the end you can see that your first setup are the one for you, but who cares...it’s was fun anyway.
Seek without fear, maybe the cheap phone are better than the expensive one to you, or viceversa...maybe some of your impressions are placebo (imagine the burn in, cable effects, etc) but who cares if the joy is there in the experience...

By other way, we can’t force Campfire to reveal all his procedures, to open all his gates in order of being transparent to us, there are fierce competition between brands and this maybe works fine for us but doesn’t work for his business.
The thing to me is simple...I bought the Solaris Nº7 in a hype attack, without even a comment about his sound (because i love the Andromeda and get very interested in his “evolution “), and i don’t regret this leap of faith...this IEM is great to me, i have no complaints...
Somebody in Asia says there are “variance between units”, but most of the comments have been positive, then I think this issue is statistically disposable to me...
in many product threads are negative impressions and quality issues, but if I don’t buy every product with some reported failure, then i end buying nothing...
My rule to buy is:
-I have the money?
-there are good impressions/reviews? (More than the negative ones)
-The brand have a good customer service?
And i’m done...

This bla bla is only my honest opinion...obviously you can dislike it or insult it or whatever

Regards ✌️

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #4,217 of 12,035
If we were not after perfection, we would buy a pair of $20 skullcandies, plug them into a $50 prepaid phone and be done with it.

No, we are here talking about $1.5k IEMs, $2k DAPs to plug them into, $.5k silver dragon butthole cables from dark side of the moon to carry the signal and an array of eartips to fine tune the sound. Make no mistake, we are seeking perfection.

Releasing a simple frequency response graph is not divulging state secrets. Some manufacturers have done it without going bankrupt, just like I've seen high end restaurants giving out recipes without anyone setting up shop across the street.
Regarding your last sentence, I would agree without reservation......if assholes such as Larry Ho/copy cats such as Monoprice/shameless Chi-fi manufacturers such as KZ/patent hunters such as 64 audio were not lurking in the darkness, prepared to steal, copy or even patent R&D efforts others painstakingly made - and fxxking get away with it. In this age of copy cats, it's totally reasonable to be extra-careful.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #4,218 of 12,035

ouch

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #4,219 of 12,035
Ok, but seeking perfection is a nonsense, a human nonsense, we arise religions in the eternal pursue of perfection, and this perfection doesn’t exist, we and our world are not perfect and never will be...
Music is a about joy...you can seek your music signature, by trying several DAPs, cables, headphones, Eqs, from cheap to expensive to super expensive ones, but the joy is in trying and the music itself...if you seek the “end game” the “perfect match” or whatever you are like a Quijote (and gets angry in the way, and sputs fire against brands)
This hobby is about enjoy the ride, maybe in the end you can see that your first setup are the one for you, but who cares...it’s was fun anyway.
Seek without fear, maybe the cheap phone are better than the expensive one to you, or viceversa...maybe some of your impressions are placebo (imagine the burn in, cable effects, etc) but who cares if the joy is there in the experience...

By other way, we can’t force Campfire to reveal all his procedures, to open all his gates in order of being transparent to us, there are fierce competition between brands and this maybe works fine for us but doesn’t work for his business.
The thing to me is simple...I bought the Solaris Nº7 in a hype attack, without even a comment about his sound (because i love the Andromeda and get very interested in his “evolution “), and i don’t regret this leap of faith...this IEM is great to me, i have no complaints...
Somebody in Asia says there are “variance between units”, but most of the comments have been positive, then I think this issue is statistically disposable to me...
in many product threads are negative impressions and quality issues, but if I don’t buy every product with some reported failure, then i end buying nothing...
My rule to buy is:
-I have the money?
-there are good impressions/reviews? (More than the negative ones)
-The brand have a good customer service?
And i’m done...

This bla bla is only my honest opinion...obviously you can dislike it or insult it or whatever

Regards ✌️
Insult: I far% in you're general direction...

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4,220 of 12,035

Excellent point bra. It's all about competition. Every HD800/s comes with its own FR, and that makes me a fan. If Senn decides to release a target curve and show how close my particular pair follows it, I'm all for it. I'd pay more for that. If it becomes an add-on service, I wouldn't be mad.

In the age of e-commerce, we usually don't buy the pair we audition, headphones or speakers. I have not audition enough ALO's products to assess it's unit variation, but there are certain brands that I avoid for this very reason. I've heard huge variation in 64 audio's products, Westone's products. I applaud a good pair when I hear one, but I'd never pay to own one.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,221 of 12,035
Regarding your last sentence, I would agree without reservation......if assholes such as Larry Ho/copy cats such as Monoprice/shameless Chi-fi manufacturers such as KZ/patent hunters such as 64 audio were not lurking in the darkness, prepared to steal, copy or even patent R&D efforts others painstakingly made - and fxxking get away with it. In this age of copy cats, it's totally reasonable to be extra-careful.

All he asked for was a FR graph... Harman already PUBLISHED their ideal FR for iems and headphones that they are actively trying to achieve, has the copycats done anything about it?

Another way to put it: Tyll has measured FR of so many HD800s. You would probably get a good idea of what Senn's target is by taking the average. Has Senn sued Tyll yet?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #4,222 of 12,035
Sooo dissapoidiss with Westone at Canjam NYC... Dark and muddy...

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #4,223 of 12,035
Excellent point bra. It's all about competition. Every HD800/s comes with its own FR, and that makes me a fan. If Senn decides to release a target curve and show how close my particular pair follows it, I'm all for it. I'd pay more for that. If it becomes an add-on service, I wouldn't be mad.

In the age of e-commerce, we usually don't buy the pair we audition, headphones or speakers. I have not audition enough ALO's products to assess it's unit variation, but there are certain brands that I avoid for this very reason. I've heard huge variation in 64 audio's products, Westone's products. I applaud a good pair when I hear one, but I'd never pay to own one.
Unit variance from 64 audio? Care to elaborate? I have a u12t and did a lot of research before buying it. This is the first I've heard about unit variance.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #4,224 of 12,035
How are they different? I'm not sure my own impressions would differ that much as my issue seems to be a dislike of BA bass in general.

Regarding Andro vs SS, I’ve tried both (though I couldn’t do a side-by-side comparison). The SS has more forward mids, which is a nice change if you find the original Andromeda’s mids to be too thin. I felt that the trade-off was that the SS didn’t have the same upper frequency sparkle, but I’m not sure whether that’s because of how it’s tuned or instead due to the comparatively forward mids. Two different takes on an excellent IEM.

If your dislike of the Andromeda is because of the bass though, the SS won’t change anything.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #4,225 of 12,035
Maybe there should be a separate thread called "Unit Variance" and anyone who wants to discuss this particular issue with whatever IEMs they want can do it there.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4,226 of 12,035
Maybe there should be a separate thread called "Unit Variance" and anyone who wants to discuss this particular issue with whatever IEMs they want can do it there.

Maybe we should have two threads with that title-that way we can compare them from time to time, and see if there are variations....:eye::eye:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #4,227 of 12,035
Unit variance from 64 audio? Care to elaborate? I have a u12t and did a lot of research before buying it. This is the first I've heard about unit variance.

(Mod, feel free to remove this because I think we are going wayy off topic. But then who started this lol)

I have demo'd u18 and fourte and compare them at 3 different shops that sell their products. All stock cable. All fully burned-in according to the assistants. All driven by my dap playing my music.

In the 1st shop, u18 has a flater bass. Fourte has a very harsh upper treble, otherwise nothing stands out.
In the 2nd shop, u18 sounds full and energetic, and I really enjoyed it. Fourte sounds tiny and muffled like a se535.
In the 3rd shop, u18 sounds full and energetic but slightly lighter bass than the one in the 2nd shop. Fourte sounds similar but has more bass. No harsh treble whatsoever.

But then I've never compared two u18 or two Fourte head-to-head.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #4,228 of 12,035

There’s an impressions-only Solaris thread

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #4,230 of 12,035

Users who are viewing this thread

Back