Campfire - Solaris
Mar 18, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #4,171 of 12,035
My first over $1000 headphones or iems were the Hifiman Edition X v2. I was so disappointed when I heard them. Eventually they grew on me to some extent and I definitely preferred them to the HE400i but the value was poor and flew in the face of the sound quality I expected from such an expense. I'm wondering whether the Solaris will really disappoint me too.
I too have bought the HEXv2 but I'm loving it! They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, they have smooth treble, perfect amount of bass, HUGE soundstage and the vocals (especially females) are so enjoyable.
You have to consider diminishing returns too in high end headphones.
Nevertheless I prefer HEXv2 to other cans that I've tried (DT1990, T1.2, LCD2, HD660S, T90, etc)
I just got my Solaris so I can't tell you the differences in sound signature yet but it definitely has more sparkle and treble presence.

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #4,172 of 12,035
Anyone have experience with spiral dots on the Solaris? Impressions? Other recommendations for tips?

I had the Solaris for about a week and used it mainly with the Symbio W (sans foam) and the Spiral Dots. Both sounded very good to me, but I found the Solaris treble to be a bit too tsss-tzzz coming from the Andromeda S so if I had to choose I would probably go with the Symbios. I wish I could provide more detailed impressions but I borrowed the Solaris to enjoy a different sound for a week, not to do tests.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #4,173 of 12,035
@rutter , it sounds like your journey has been ruff. If full size headphones doesn't do it for you I'm not sure IEMs will. I have not yet found an IEM that can match it's TOTL counterpart. Solaris included, the only thing I feel I can say is the builds on IEMs are better and I find the Solaris to be wonderfully done.

You say serious flaw and terrible value. Why is that?

A worthwhile headphone over a thousand dollars would have high resolution and detail, a spacious soundstage with good imaging and separation that isn't dry, sound that is neither soft nor piercing, and good bass, mids, and treble. Full and musical, spacious, crisp, defined, and detailed. All of this with no compromises. It's incredible what a hodgepodge of qualities expensive headphones are. Every one that I have tried, going up to $4000, has at least one major flaw, actually multiple flaws, and is terrible value from an absolute standpoint and the price difference between it and $350. That's why I went all the way down to the HD650 at $350 when my inclination is to err on the side of higher quality. I had settled on the LCD-X as being the best compromise but it turned out that the HD650 is too close to it and all I need is a Magni for the HD650, if that. I got to the point where the next logical step was to spend $5000 on a DAC and amp to dump on top of an expensive flawed headphone as a prayer. Asinine.

I'll leave this here

The key part there being that it's not a main occupation. I.e. it's still supposed to be active like an occupation. Lol, unless you're building headphones and iems, maybe cables, dacs, amps, etc. buying a few things is not a hobby. Normal listening to music is entertainment. I had no idea I'd be walking into something that would be regarded as a hobby. I just wanted really damn good headphones to listen to music on. Certainly the prices are there.

I too have bought the HEXv2 but I'm loving it! They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, they have smooth treble, perfect amount of bass, HUGE soundstage and the vocals (especially females) are so enjoyable.
You have to consider diminishing returns too in high end headphones.
Nevertheless I prefer HEXv2 to other cans that I've tried (DT1990, T1.2, LCD2, HD660S, T90, etc)
I just got my Solaris so I can't tell you the differences in sound signature yet but it definitely has more sparkle and treble presence.

Comfortable yes, the HD800(S) is probably more comfortable, treble is smooth depending on what you listen to, perfect amount of bass only if you don't care for bass, and the soundstage is not at all huge. There is some notable space with the HEXv2, much of it by contrast to other headphones, but it's not huge. I came to enjoy the separation. That made a bigger impression on me than size. Soundstage is neither small nor "huge", but many other headphones are so challenged in this respect... I don't understand why people would still use words like huge. The HD800(S) beats it spatially and huge is still a word I'm inclined to avoid. My overriding issue with the HEXv2 was that it's soft and there was no way to get around that. I do agree female vocals on it were enjoyable. You're also talking about diminishing returns when you lack experience with expensive headphones. Come on. Yea, I've considered it. Awful excuse.

If the HEXv2 wasn't soft, and if it's bass was somewhat better I may well have settled on it, I'll give you that much. I was told by one of their customer service people that the Ananda has a similar sound to the HEX and the HEK is supposed to be even softer so I was done with Hifiman. They are also a shady company. Google their return address in the US. They misspell things, their customer service is comprised of two people, they want images of your personal information when buying from their site, they publish personal information of scammers, they send you B stock when something is marketed to come with free items (the free items can be B stock, not the primary purchase; have the decency to inform customers; the music player that I got for free that otherwise costs a few hundred dollars was also interesting, let's put it that way, like it was made in the 90s, can't speak to actual quality), and their "nuking" of the value of their stuff is very interesting. The HE400i's yokes break on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #4,174 of 12,035
This review isn't structured like a normal review-- it's basically a stream of consciousness collection of some of my thoughts after owning the Solaris for a few days. I will start by saying that I'm in no way affiliated with Campfire Audio-- this review was not sponsored in any way. If I come across as a fanboy it's because I'm quite taken with the company. Their philosophy, craftsmanship and grassroots ethic place them in a class all their own. You really get the sense that the people behind these products are in business because they share the same passion for music and sound as the rest of us. Couple all of that with peerless build quality, accessories, value and customer service and it's a bit of a no-brainer. On with the review...

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell-- or how I learned I'm not a basshead.

Sitting here enjoying my coffee and my Solaris on the first day of spring break proper and it feels like a good time to jot down some more thorough impressions. Before I say anything I want to take a moment to re-emphasize the importance of trying something for yourself, or at the very least taking everything you read online with a massive grain of salt. I'm fairly new to the world of high-end IEMs and in the comparatively brief time I've spent perusing forums and reviews I've come to the conclusion that nothing can substitute for actually LISTENING to something for yourself. Pick any great IEM you want and if you read enough you will find people who hate it, people who love it, people who say it excels at this or that and others who say it's weak in those exact areas. So many times I tried to get to the bottom of whether a particular IEM was right for me and I'd only find myself bewildered at all the varying opinions and perspectives. Even people who are often in line with my views and preferences will occasionally say things I disagree with-- it's all part of being human. Psychology is a funny thing-- you can read 100 glowing impressions of a product but all it takes is one false note to throw everything into doubt in your mind.

Another thing is that it seems to me that people in this hobby are prone to a funny sort of auto-suggestion. You can read dozens of glowing impressions and then someone will come along and say something like "I tried to like it but I noticed a hollowed out sparkle register in the lower mid-treble and I couldn't get over the tonally imbalanced dynamics-- here are some graphs which back that up". Invariably following that there will be a string of new impressions, and a few of the originals will come back and say "well I liked it originally but when listened to it again I really noticed that hollowed out sparkle register in the lower mid-treble and those tonally imbalanced dynamics". Then along will come someone like me who doesn't know any better who will think "oh wow I was considering pulling the trigger on this, and I have no idea What any of that means but it sounds bad...maybe I should hold off". Then later on I'll get to try the thing for myself and I'll think something like "I don't know what any of those people were talking about-- this thing sounds amazing."

I had similar experiences with the Atlas and most recently the Solaris. I almost passed on the Atlas because I put too much stock in the words of a prominent internet reviewer. Had I done that I would have missed out on one of the best sounding IEMs on the market right now. The point: there is no substitute for hearing something for yourself-- we are all different. It's true that I am fortunate to live near a Campfire Audio distributor. If I lived in Toronto I'd probably be in the Empire Ears thread right now raving about the LX because that's what the store there carries. But the point still stands-- no two of us react the same to the same stimuli. And just hearing something in a shop briefly isn't enough. Having an IEM is like being in a relationship-- you get wowed by certain features off the bat, but those little quirks you gloss over initially might drive you mad in the long term. Find any IEM on the market and there will be people who love it and people who trash it. All of that being said...

Prior to having the Solaris I had thought that my ideal was along the lines of a V shaped signature with a robust and powerful low end and just enough sparkle and detail in the treble. While they're both amazing IEMs I much prefer the Atlas to the Andromeda-- I'm not a fan of BA bass in general and, as much as love the detail and precision of the Andro, in a pinch I would rather have the bass of the Atlas...and I did for a few weeks before picking up Solaris. When I went to demo Solaris my idea was to pick up something to compliment the Atlas. I had read many impressions of Solaris that said it lacked bass or that "bass heads need not apply". With that in mind I figured the Atlas would be main daily with Solaris stepping in every now and again to give me something different. I then made a playlist of songs I felt would sound great on Solaris (and a few Atlas favorites for comparison) and headed to Headphone Bar in Vancouver to try it out.

A note on fit: I am a large man with a large head and large ears and the Solaris fits me perfectly. Even Travis at headphone bar commented that the Solaris fits me as well as the Andro fits him. The memory wire holds it in my ears perfectly, it doesn't protrude at all and I can wear it for hours comfortably. Also, make sure you find tips that give you a good seal. I have read a few impressions by people who complained of the "hollowed out mids" but were able to mitigate it with the right tips.

When I arrived at Headphone Bar on Saturday I had been listening to the Atlas straight for a number of hours-- so I had impressions of its signature firmly in mind. I was able to sit down in the shop with an Andromeda and Solaris for over an hour going back and forth between the two forming impressions. Regarding Andro, it was just like I remembered-- amazing in its own right but not my ideal sig. It would never satisfy me as my sole daily like the Atlas did. When I tried Solaris I was totally blown away. Expecting a lack of bass I found all, or at least enough, of the Atlas sound present to totally satisfy me. Instead of a lack of bass I found near perfect balance. I don't have the vocabulary to really do this justice but all I can say is that when listening to some of my favorite tracks for bass (Exodus by Bob Marley or Not Exactly by Deadmau5 to name two) I found absolutely nothing lacking. Instead what I found was the meaty dynamic bass of the Atlas thumping below me with the precision, detail and sparkle of the Andro whispering in my ears. Having previously been listening to these same songs on the Atlas for much of the previous day and month I didn't find myself missing anything at all.

In addition to the Atlas quality bass Solaris delivers a vastly increased soundstage with all the best features of the Andromeda woven in and around it. I stand by my original impression: Solaris is Andro plus bass-- a beautiful synergy of the best of the Andromeda and the Atlas. When I first demoed the Atlas I fell in love with its massive sound. The Solaris takes that massive sound, stretches it out and fills in all the spaces with detail, holography and pinpoint precise nuance. Put Another way, listening to the Atlas feels like you're in a small room (though it took the Solaris to make me realize it was small) with the bass and treble in the forefront (ie., a V) and everything else a little bit further back. The Solaris takes that same bass and treble, puts it in the centre of a bigger room and surrounds it with lush layers of extra detail and mid/treble flourish a la the Andromeda. So while it's true that the low end doesn't dominate with the Solaris like it does with the Atlas-- you can still very much tell that it's present, only dispersed over a larger soundstage. Quite frankly I find myself too wowed by all the detail, sparkle, precision and space that have been added to mind the decreased emphasis on the lower end. Again, I still sense it there, I don't feel it's lack, rather I'm too busy focusing on the Andro-like loveliness that's now filling the gaps. It's not at all what I was expecting bass-wise from the Solaris based on the reviews I'd read...maybe the lesson is that I'm not a basshead after all?

When I got the Atlas I raved that it was all I ever wanted-- but with the Solaris it's all I ever wanted from the Atlas plus everything I didn't know I wanted from the Andromeda. I have probably close to 30 hours on the Solaris and it's only getting better and better. When I went to try it I imagined that I would prefer Atlas maybe 70% of the time and use Solaris for the remaining 30% but what I'm finding is that just about everything sounds way better, fuller, on Solaris. There is a bit, maybe 5% of my music that I would rather listen to on Atlas, but this mostly (I think) boils down to poor mastering. The Atlas is more forgiving of this than Solaris in this regard. My takeaway from all of this is that maybe my preference is for a more neutral sound signature-- and with an IEM as honest and well executed as Solaris it's a match made in heaven.

One thing about Solaris that is unique for me is that it's perfectly satisfying to listen to at very low volume. Usually I'm one to crank the volume-- I was always resisting the urge to do this on Atlas. With Solaris I can sit there with my Fiio M9 on 30 and not miss any detail, bass or sound quality. I will not be looking at new IEMS for a very long time. It these are at all on your radar, and you have the ability to try them without putting yourself out too much, you owe it to yourself to do so. If you have the Solaris and the means check out In the Gallery by Dire Straits-- it brings to the forefront everything Solaris does best. I have admittedly not heard a wide variety of TOTL IEMS so I can't do any worthwhile comparisons-- all I can say is that, for my tastes and preferences Solaris does everything right. Nothing is lacking-- and, again, this is coming from an Atlas fanboy, so take that for what it's worth. It sounds cliche but my heart just says "Nicely Done".

Edit: One thing I'm appreciating more and more about the Solaris after the first week (and probably about 60 hours) is how balanced and cohesive it is. Nothing stands out yet at the same time everything stands out. I've never tangibly perceived such a sense of unity from portable music before-- I can focus on each level and be totally wowed but at the same time sit back and appreciate how seamlessly it all blends together. If I were to chime in on the burn-in factor at this point I would say that as the hours wear on with this unit the sound becomes more and more cohesive. When I first tried it there was a vague sense of each of the different layers working to carve out their respective spaces but as the time wears all on of that dissolves into a serenely engaging unity. It doesn't matter what I'm listening to-- I can engage with each of the different layers if I choose but it's also easy to sit back and embraces the whole of the sound and not be distracted by any particular layer of it. Whether it's due to actual burn in or psychological burn-in who's to say but I think it stands as a testament to the quality of the tuning on this thing (for those who prefer a more balanced signature).

Edit 2 (five months later)-- comparison with Sony IER Z1R:

67178390_10162232099035654_7449313190829096960_n.jpg

So after 5 months of owning (and loving) the Solaris I found myself tempted by another IEM, namely the Sony IER Z1R. At the end of July I ordered the Z1R, entirely out of curiosity and love of Sony products in general and not due to any inherent dissatisfaction with the Solaris. Upon receiving the Z1R I was deeply impressed with its bass and treble extension and overall sexiness-- to the point that I was prepared to make it my main IEM. Fortunately I didn't rush into anything and I kept my Solaris on hand alongside the Z1R.

Long story shortened-- after two weeks of what could be described as a dark night of the soul(aris)-- during which I listened exclusively to the Z1R-- I switched back over to the Solaris and I was struck by how much I'd missed its beautiful balanced sound, robust midrange, detail retrieval and holographic soundstage. Another thing that jumped out at me after many days of not hearing the Solaris was how coherent and "whole" its presentation of sound is. The Z1R is a great sounding IEM, but after switching back to Solaris I found myself really noticing its recessed midrange and comparatively confined soundstage. In addition to that I remembered how well Solaris fit me-- I can wear them for hours comfortably whether on the couch or out and about. They are substantially lighter than the Z1R and I can easily forget they're there. For a few hours I did some a/b'ing between the two with some of my favorite tracks I found that I actually preferred the sound of the Solaris a significant percentage of the time. I think that in a rush to embrace the Z1R initially I glossed over many of the strengths of the Solaris. This method of switching to one IEM exclusively for a period of time and then back to the other to see what I notice is a good way to ascertain the strengths of each in a more definitive way.

Ultimately they both have their strengths-- for me it's treble/bass extension and definition on the Z1R vs. balance, a more robust midrange, resolution and an airy and holographic soundstage on the Solaris-- however lately, as I indicated in my initial review, my preferences tend more towards the balanced presentation of the Solaris to the mild V of the Z1R. Factoring in the fit issues, and what are imho certain superior technicalities, and the balance has tilted decisively in favor of the Solaris for me. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise-- the Solaris is a TOTL IEM on par with the best on the market and if balance and coherence combined with delicious DD bass is your thing, then I'm not sure there's anything better out there right now. When I first started my search for a high end IEM earlier this year there was a lot of backlash to the initial glowing hype of these IEMs, which many deemed too excessive. Speaking from my own recent experience where I branched out to another IEM only to come back and realize how good the Solaris really are-- I think it's fair to say that they have more than lived up to the initial hype surrounding them. Sometimes we need to branch out for a bit to really appreciate the greatness of the things that we have. In a nutshell: Solaris FTW!

69180628_10162284974895654_821322679003906048_n.jpg

Campfire Audio display at Headphone Bar:
54517734_10161664470555654_5079103216147234816_n.jpg

Moment of glory:

54520924_10161664467840654_2995544371027247104_n.jpg

Fit:
53731983_10161664465235654_8103763758884585472_n.jpg

Earphones of the gods:

53915122_10161658715310654_5103742532991320064_n.jpg

Radiating beauty, elegance and power:
EX4On8q.jpg

Musical:67082984_10162154483525654_568184590842200064_n.jpg

Conclusion:
54416632_10161665548185654_2659196758998908928_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,176 of 12,035
Maybe a weird comparison request, but how does the Solaris do vs. EE Phantom?

I own both. I think they're different signatures. Phantom took some getting used to with its signature. It is a very warm and intimate iem that excels in classical, piano, jazz. I am lucky I have it paired with effect audio janus d which really makes it an interesting iem.

However, I do prefer solaris. It's more balanced, better treble, and I enjoy the vocals more on solaris. Phantom plays male vocals nice, but most of my music is female. Solaris has a bigger soundstage. Fit on phantom is much better. Fit is really the only downside that I have with solaris.

So I keep phantom when I really want to listen to some piano albums, maybe some electronic. But solaris plays all my music well. I can put it on shuffle and it handles everything. If you go to empire ears forum I'm sure many people disagree with me. The warm thick signature of the phantom definitely isn't for everyone but it definitely has a very loyal following.

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #4,177 of 12,035
Got these in the mail today. Initial impressions very good. Subtle but noticeable improvement in sound quality...but maybe that's because of an improved fit. These are a more comfortable version of the custom silicons from Campfire IEMS. The silicons were my favorite of the 3 options Campfire ships with, both for sound quality and comfort. I wasn't sure what size to order but the large seems to ha
have been a good call for me.54800240_10161659272880654_4180555315764264960_n.jpg

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,178 of 12,035
I made a couple of handy charts a while back.

Here you go;

34529759-FFFC-4D96-899D-202907219089.jpeg

946468EF-614F-4A2A-A3F6-96E79D8DD141.jpeg

Whilst JVC Spirals tips are my go to for most IEMs.including most CA IEMs.

For the Solaris I have found the Symbio Peel Mandarines (W) the best match so far.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,179 of 12,035
For the Solaris I have found the Symbio Peel Mandarines (W) the best match so far.

Nice-- do you have a link to the best place to buy them?

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,180 of 12,035
Either on their website or via ebay.

EDIT: Heres a short wrote up and link I did:
https://www.headpie.net/2018/12/new-symbio-w-peel-by-mandarines.html?m=1

Theres probably a link in my Solaris review (check it and the Atlas review and see how they dovetail with your experience).

I find for fit also with the Atlas and Solaris that going a size down from your normal size works best

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #4,181 of 12,035
...I'm willing to throw tantrums if it reminds everyone that Campfire Audio is literally dodging the issue of product variance since its only beneficial to all of us and the hobby if manufacturers can't just get away with half-assed quality control because people "subjectively liked the product enough".

If it was an exaggeration, fabrication or anomaly, Ken Ball is welcome to solve the entire situation providing the target curve...

Would throwing a tantrum get Focal, Sennheiser, HiFiMAN, Audeze, Shure, etc., etc. to send you the internal targets they use in their labs? I don't think so. To suggest that Campfire Audio is doing something at all out of the ordinary in not providing their internal targets to you because you're "willing to throw tantrums" is absurd.

As for addressing their QC, he did post about that already -- not to your satisfaction, I get that. But, again, what you're asking for (like with the target curve you're forcefully requesting) you're not likely to get from any manufacturer -- not just Campfire Audio -- no matter now much indignation you show in demanding it.

...Ken Ball is welcome to solve the entire situation providing the target curve and answering the issue of product variance (and not deflecting with claims that he channel matches)...

Over the last four years, we've done thousands of measurements of headphones and IEMs here at Head-Fi HQ (of hundreds of different products). There is inevitably product variation, no matter how well made these products are. Campfire Audio is not dodging the issue when they talk about the importance of channel matching -- it is among the most important things a manufacturer can do. Let's take the Sennheiser HD800, for example, as that headphone is built as close to lab-grade as any headphone I can currently think of -- and I've measured a lot of them. Here are some FFT spectrum view plots from a few Sennheiser HD800 measurements we've made here:

FFT Spectrum - 00279 - LEFT ONLY.jpg

(Above) Fig.1 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 00279), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

FFT Spectrum - 00279 - LEFT AND RIGHT.jpg

(Above) Fig.2 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 00279), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT ONLY.jpg

(Above) Fig.3 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45271), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT AND RIGHT.jpg

(Above) Fig.4 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45271), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT ONLY.jpg

(Above) Fig.5 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45957), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT AND RIGHT.jpg

(Above) Fig.6 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45957), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

As you can see, Sennheiser -- at least with their HD800-class headphones -- probably does some of the best channel-matching in the business. As you can also see, in any given headphone (each constituting a carefully set of paired drivers), not only do they match in the level of the fundamental tone (40 Hz in this case), but even the harmonic distortion spurs between the two channels in any given HD800 here very closely match up between both channels of the same headphone.

For these measurements, we set the level by having the analyzer adjust the voltage into the left channel until the left channel reached 90 dBSPL at the given frequency (40 Hz in this ase) -- so keep in mind that we only set voltage in the left channel, and that identical voltage level is also fed to the right at the same time. So if the right channel was more (or less) sensitive than the left, it would show the fundamental input spur at a different decibel level -- that is, the 40 Hz fundamental input spur of the right channel would have been higher than the left if the right was more sensitive, lower if it was less sensitive.

So, yes, Sennheiser's channel matching with the HD800 is obviously impeccable.

But now look at this:
  • HD800 serial number 00279 (one of the oldest units around) required 220.4 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.1 and Fig.2)

• HD800 serial number 45721 (brand new, never used, except for measurements) required 174.5 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.3 and Fig.4)

• HD800 serial number 45957 (brand new, never used, except for measurements) required 201.2 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.5 and Fig.6)
Again, carefully pairing drivers is critically important. Also keep in mind that the HD800 is a single-driver-per-side design. It can (and does) get even more fraught with complexity with multi-driver designs.

Also, when we measure headphones or IEMs, we do multiple realistic seatings, which (if it's an over-head headphone) involves different tightness settings, etc., as caliper pressure has an effect on the outcome, in addition to the obvious importance of position of the drivers over (or in) the fixtures. With in-ear monitors we also do multiple seatings, as eartips don't deform/deflect exactly the same way each different time they're inserted into the fixtures' ear canals. So for each new IEM seating, we remove the IEM from the ear completely and re-seat it.

Because there are some variations with the same headphone or IEM from seating to seating, we average the results after we've done multiple seatings. Here's a cut-and-paste from the measurement notes in one of our Audio Precision project files for a headphone we recently measured (this headphone is not released yet, so the model name has been replaced with "ACME ABC123"), this one covering three seatings:
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 123.0 mVrms - seat 01 (brian) - test 01 - 3 clicks out each side - pretty much centered
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 123.0 mVrms - seat 01 (brian) - test 02 - 3 clicks out each side - pretty much centered
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 108.7 mVrms - seat 02 (brian) - test 01 - 4 clicks out each side - pretty much centered
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 108.7 mVrms - seat 02 (brian) - test 02 - 4 clicks out each side - pretty much centered
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 109.0 mVrms - seat 03 (brian) - test 01 - 4 clicks out each side - pulled forward a little bit from previous
ACME ABC123 - RAW - 109.0 mVrms - seat 03 (brian) - test 02 - 4 clicks out each side - pulled forward a little bit from previous

If the headphone has detents in the headband (as this one in the example above does), we note how many clicks out of each side of the headband the headphone was sized to, and any additional notes we feel might be relevant to the seating, as to position over the ears, etc. We also note who did the seating, if it wasn't me. (In this example, it was @AxelCloris who did these three seatings.) Again, we're always going for realistic placements over (or in) the ears. For an IEM, we will note if we pushed a little deeper, twisted it clockwise or counter clockwise if we're making an adjustment to a current seating (especially for the anatomical-shape IEMs), etc.

(In my signature below is a link you can click on that includes a video showing part of the headphone measurement process here. We've made some process adjustments/changes since then, and we'll shoot an updated video some time after we return from CanJam Singapore. I'll also be doing a presentation about headphone measurements at CanJam Singapore.)

What's my point? If every measurement of the same headphone or IEM was identical across all seatings, then we'd only need to measure once, not multiple times with averaging. Tyll Hertsens (now retired) of InnerFidelity actually showed the pre-averaged individual plots of all of his seatings overlaid -- anyone who looked at that section of the measurements (which perhaps most ignored) would know that even with the exact same unit, there's seat to seat variation. No matter the headphone or earphone, when measuring across different units of the same model, you will get variations -- and even more so across different units of the same model across measurement sessions. Again, if there weren't differences, we'd only need to measure once and save ourselves a huge amount of time.

Campfire Audio uses a lot of the same gear we do at Head-Fi HQ for measurements (by GRAS and Audio Precision), in addition to other gear and software (like SoundCheck by Listen Inc.) for quality control and assurance. My conversations with many of the companies in this industry routinely go behind the scenes to their labs, including measurements from such, and Campfire Audio is one of them.

What you're asking for (like their internal target curves) you're not likely to get -- not just from Campfire Audio, but pretty much any other company in this industry, no matter how hard a tantrum you throw.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-18_15-23-45.png
    upload_2019-3-18_15-23-45.png
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-3-18_15-24-10.png
    upload_2019-3-18_15-24-10.png
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT AND RIGHT - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT AND RIGHT - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT AND RIGHT - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT AND RIGHT - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT ONLY - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    FFT Spectrum - 45957 - LEFT ONLY - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT ONLY - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    FFT Spectrum - 45721 - LEFT ONLY - 100 dBSPL.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,182 of 12,035
Would throwing a tantrum get Focal, Sennheiser, HiFiMAN, Audeze, Shure, etc., etc. to send you the internal targets they use in their labs? I don't think so. To suggest that Campfire Audio is doing something at all out of the ordinary in not providing their internal targets to you because you're "willing to throw tantrums" is absurd.

As for addressing their QC, he did post about that already -- not to your satisfaction, I get that. But, again, what you're asking for (like with the target curve you're forcefully requesting) you're not likely to get from any manufacturer -- not just Campfire Audio -- no matter now much indignation you show in demanding it.

Over the last four years, we've done thousands of measurements of headphones and IEMs here at Head-Fi HQ (of hundreds of different products). There is inevitably product variation, no matter how well made these products are. Campfire Audio is not dodging the issue when they talk about the importance of channel matching -- it is among the most important things a manufacturer can do. Let's take the Sennheiser HD800, for example, as that headphone is built as close to lab-grade as any headphone I can currently think of -- and I've measured a lot of them. Here are some FFT spectrum view plots from a few Sennheiser HD800 measurements we've made here:

(Above) Fig.1 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 00279), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

(Above) Fig.2 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 00279), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

(Above) Fig.3 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45271), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

(Above) Fig.4 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45271), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

(Above) Fig.5 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45957), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, left channel only

(Above) Fig.6 Sennheiser HD800 (S/N 45957), 40 Hz sine @ 90 dBSPL, right channel (red) overlaid on left channel (blue)

As you can see, Sennheiser -- at least with their HD800-class headphones -- probably does some of the best channel-matching in the business. As you can also see, in any given headphone (each constituting a carefully set of paired drivers), not only do they match in the level of the fundamental tone (40 Hz in this case), but even the harmonic distortion spurs between the two channels in any given HD800 here very closely match up between both channels of the same headphone.

For these measurements, we set the level by having the analyzer adjust the voltage into the left channel until the left channel reached 90 dBSPL at the given frequency (40 Hz in this ase) -- so keep in mind that we only set voltage in the left channel, and that identical voltage level is also fed to the right at the same time. So if the right channel was more (or less) sensitive than the left, it would show the fundamental input spur at a different decibel level -- that is, the 40 Hz fundamental input spur of the right channel would have been higher than the left if the right was more sensitive, lower if it was less sensitive.

So, yes, Sennheiser's channel matching with the HD800 is obviously impeccable.

But now look at this:
  • HD800 serial number 00279 (one of the oldest units around) required 220.4 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.1 and Fig.2)

• HD800 serial number 45721 (brand new, never used, except for measurements) required 174.5 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.3 and Fig.4)

• HD800 serial number 45957 (brand new, never used, except for measurements) required 201.2 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 40 Hz. (Fig.5 and Fig.6)
Again, carefully pairing drivers is critically important.

Also, when we measure headphones or IEMs, we do multiple realistic seatings, which (if it's an over-head headphone) involves different tightness settings, etc., as caliper pressure has an effect on the outcome, in addition to the obvious importance of position of the drivers over (or in) the fixtures. With in-ear monitors we also do multiple seatings, as eartips don't deform/deflect exactly the same way each different time they're inserted into the fixtures' ear canals. So for each new IEM seating, we remove the IEM from the ear completely and re-seat it.

Because there are some variations with the same headphone or IEM from seating to seating, we average the results after we've done multiple seatings. Here's a cut-and-paste from the measurement notes in one of our Audio Precision project files for a headphone we recently measured (this headphone is not released yet, so the model name has been replaced with "ACME ABC123"), this one covering three seatings:

If the headphone has detents in the headband (as this one in the example above does), we note who did the seating, how many clicks out of each side of the headband the headphone was sized to, and any additional notes we feel might be relevant to the seating, as to position over the ears, etc. Again, we're always going for realistic placements over (or in) the ears. For an IEM, we will note if we pushed a little deeper, twisted it clockwise or counter clockwise (especially for the anatomical-shape IEMs), etc.

(In my signature below is a link you can click on that includes a video showing part of the headphone measurement process here. We've made some process adjustments/changes since then, and we'll shoot an updated video some time after we return from CanJam Singapore. I'll also be doing a presentation about headphone measurements at CanJam Singapore.)

What's my point? If every measurement of the same headphone or IEM was identical across all seatings, then we'd only need to measure once, not multiple times with averaging. Tyll Hertsens (now retired) of InnerFidelity actually showed the pre-averaged individual plots of all of his seatings overlaid -- anyone who looked at that section of the measurements (which perhaps most ignored) would know that even with the exact same unit, there's seat to seat variation. No matter the headphone or earphone, when measuring across different units of the same model, you will get variations -- and even more so across different units of the same model across measurement sessions. Again, if there weren't differences, we'd only need to measure once and save ourselves a huge amount of time.

Campfire Audio uses a lot of the same gear we do at Head-Fi HQ for measurements (by GRAS and Audio Precision), in addition to other gear and software (like SoundCheck by Listen Inc.) for quality control and assurance. My conversations with many of the companies in this industry routinely go behind the scenes to their labs, including measurements from such, and Campfire Audio is one of them.

What you're asking for (like their internal target curves) you're not likely to get not just from Campfire Audio, but pretty much any other company in this industry, no matter how hard a tantrum you throw.

So much quality in this post.

I declined earlier to weigh in on the topic....because, well its the Internet and any back and forth can be tiring and/or exhausting.

But this an excellent point and one I have also come across in conversation with many manufacturers >>>>

QUOTE: @jude ”There is inevitably product variation, no matter how well made these products are. Campfire Audio is not dodging the issue when they talk about the importance of channel matching -- it is among the most important”

(* Insert whichever company name as needed).

@KB

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #4,183 of 12,035
Damn, when you got the mods on your backside teaching you a lesson about throwing tantrums, you really screw*d up LOL

Unit to unit variation is real, there is only so much precision we can get when taking designs into the real world. Maybe someone will make an Atomic 3D printer and fix that, but for now we might get IEMs with a few atoms out of place :frowning2:

And by a few I mean millions

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #4,184 of 12,035
Man...I just listened to a 96-24 recording of Money For Nothing by Dire Straits...when that guitar riff kicks in at the beginning...I thought I was going to have to change my underwear for a minute...so good. On thing I didn't mention in my impressions above is that I get like zero hiss through my M9. I know Solaris was said to be prone, but I haven't heard any yet.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #4,185 of 12,035
WOW, it is valid point,
I hope we can move forward the discussion, it already happened for the third times, I think and will believe it will rose the fourth, is a fanatic believer who thinks graph can define everything...

well if big G create us from his image, why still there people imperfect shaped

@Rockwell75
Well said, very informative Impression...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back