Campfire - Solaris
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2,461 of 12,035
I have now listended with SE100 and balnanced super LIZ cord: Here i perfer the marshallow tips. Perhaps the SE100 has extended treble and also Solaris? But here i have enough of bass to make it musical. Unfortunaltyl there is hiss with SE100 and balanced out. It wasn`t so much with Andromeda. Symbio is here for me a bit to thin sounding but very spacious and extended treble but for me a bit to much with Solaris. I pefer the stock marshallows over the Comply TX400. The Comply killes more treble than stock mashallow. Perhaps the wax filter sould be the reason. Stock silicon is not for me because i listen oft in train and bus... On IEMS there must be a bit of bass pressure to give depth. On large headphones i like neutrality. ( HD800 etc ) For me the Solaris are great IEMS. Worth the price because the sound is "big" and has good treble but also bass and mids. Its a allround IEM where you can also hear classical orchestral recordings. The problem to choose the right tips is difficult..Very difficult. You have one ( more treble less bass or more bass and less treble ) ore other. I must try more tips..
SE100 balanced out has less bass than singel ended. But its airyer, spaciouser, a bit more treble. Interstly with balanced out often there is a bit less bass. Perhaps on singel ended i would take Symbios W with Solaris. There is also a benefit to go balanced with IEMS. ( but the hiss is more.. )

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,462 of 12,035
I have now listended with SE100 and balnanced super LIZ cord: Here i perfer the marshallow tips. Perhaps the SE100 has extended treble and also Solaris? But here i have enough of bass to make it musical. Unfortunaltyl there is hiss with SE100 and balanced out. It wasn`t so much with Andromeda. Symbio is here for me a bit to thin sounding but very spacious and extended treble but for me a bit to much with Solaris. I pefer the stock marshallows over the Comply TX400. The Comply killes more treble than stock mashallow. Perhaps the wax filter sould be the reason. Stock silicon is not for me because i listen oft in train and bus... On IEMS there must be a bit of bass pressure to give depth. On large headphones i like neutrality. ( HD800 etc ) For me the Solaris are great IEMS. Worth the price because the sound is "big" and has good treble but also bass and mids. Its a allround IEM where you can also hear classical orchestral recordings. The problem to choose the right tips is difficult..Very difficult. You have one ( more treble less bass or more bass and less treble ) ore other. I must try more tips..
SE100 balanced out has less bass than singel ended. But its airyer, spaciouser, a bit more treble. Interstly with balanced out often there is a bit less bass. Perhaps on singel ended i would take Symbios W with Solaris. There is also a benefit to go balanced with IEMS. ( but the hiss is more.. )
I concur. Mine hiss on the se100 as well which is sort of a bummer because ak make some great daps and the se100 is lovely. Nonetheless the solaris are still awesome!

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,463 of 12,035
20181222_142418.jpg

forgotten audifion footage. pairing with NW-ZX2(Store demo), experience no Hiss.... more body bass.
spotify friendly....
with stack X5 iii + Mont Blanc, warm, a bit hiss depend on music file/Genre, also noticable hiss (can be neglect for me) with spotify use.
all are based solaris out of the box.

current situation impression :
10 hour burn in, the BA harsh on high dissappear (Although i dont believe burn in)... looks promising

play Solaris with Note 8, Spotify, Hiss is there.
Flac file using UAPP, wonderly no hiss, but I feel something missing (can not describe). no need my ifi eBuddy for it.

looking for portable DAP.... not convenient using Note 8 due to battery run dry quick.
Stack DAP+Amp is to big to put in the pocket. Spotify friendly, and compromise Hiss.... any idea?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,464 of 12,035
I've been running the Solaris in for 3 days straight now and I can only listen to them after I've listened with other, cheaper IEMs, because the other IEMs sound awful afterwards.

What came as a shock to me was, I was listening with the AK380 and switched to the Hugo 2 and there was a very noticeable jump up in sound quality. Talk about scaling well!

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,465 of 12,035
I've been running the Solaris in for 3 days straight now and I can only listen to them after I've listened with other, cheaper IEMs, because the other IEMs sound awful afterwards.

What came as a shock to me was, I was listening with the AK380 and switched to the Hugo 2 and there was a very noticeable jump up in sound quality. Talk about scaling well!

neat, How do you find the fit?

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,466 of 12,035
I just wanted to share some of my early impressions, as I was crawling this thread for eternity in weighing my purchase decision, and found every scrap of information was helpful... so this is for the me's out there doing the pre-xmas crawling.

Solaris is a strange beast... I have listened for several hours in-store ahead of purchase, and have about 5 hours on it post-purchase, so I have not listened enough to be familiar with the sound signature or have them break in properly, but I want to make some upfront observations that will be quite obvious for anyone that has listened to them.

The obvious points which are worthy of being echoed are: there is lots of layering, good separation, very nice bass influence (for my taste), mids are forward (too far for my taste), treble extends nicely.

I refrain from saying more on the sound for a couple weeks - I want to really understand these and give them time to break in, and for me to adjust to their sound.

I will say one thing, as a loving owner of Campfire Audio Jupiter and Andromeda... going back to either directly after listening to Solaris is not possible. They sound flat, closed and lack musicality... its personally a sad and yet exciting experience. You won't notice the difference so much if you don't back-to-back them, though, which is nice, as there is a special spot for both these headphones to me.

Another thing I want to mention is that these IEMs can be tuned super well with cable swaps. Because the mids were forward more than I like, I was testing with multiple cables and was pleasantly surprised by how much of an impact cabling contributes with these IEMs.

If the mids are too forward for you, balanced cables will mildly flatten the signature and control the mid a bit more, but you stand to lose some of the mid and low end fullness. This said, fatter cables tend to not lose that fulness as much, which for me is a really nice tradeoff. A cable such as the tinsel adds a nice amount of (more) air to the signature, too.

I used a couple of poor quality balanced cables and they narrowed the sound stage, compressed the layering, and introduced interference. So the point worth noting here is that these IEM's are sensitive, and they will fault your equipment if they can, which brings me to my next point....

I've been testing with various portable DAPs/Dacs/Amps (Basso, Fiio, iFi) and was able to get a range of imperfections: hiss, tear, static and interference. This is of course all owing to the parts of the chain, rather than Solaris, and it is also track dependent (no surprise). I used my iPhone X from the onset to test some tracks, and to be honest, its not a good pairing. I can't comment for other phones.

I now have it paired with my SP1000 and there are no imperfections (as there shouldn't be), and it sounds very, very nice - fluid, rich, airy and separated. I am so far very happy.

I think people really do need to try these with their equipment before buying, or wait for some reviews from people with their equipment, as the parts of the chain play a considerable role in fully reaching the potential of Solaris. If you don't intend to reach for their full potential, perhaps other options will be more forgiving, and more enjoyable.

Hopefully this helps some of the fence-sitters...

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,467 of 12,035
Alright, I tried the Comply tips that came with my Comet (not sure which model but they do have the wax filter) on my Solaris & V40, and I can say that this is a pretty good pairing. I did lose some detail, but the tonality is perfect for me now, so hopefully I can find some tips that do this without sacrificing detail. If not I will try out the IEMatch eventually...

Dec 22, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #2,468 of 12,035
Alright, I tried the Comply tips that came with my Comet (not sure which model but they do have the wax filter) on my Solaris & V40, and I can say that this is a pretty good pairing. I did lose some detail, but the tonality is perfect for me now, so hopefully I can find some tips that do this without sacrificing detail. If not I will try out the IEMatch eventually...
Try the Compys without the wax guard it will clarify the sound. Also, try the combo pack to explore the 3 different types. The super big ones (I forget what they are called, professional or something) will give best isolation and best bass but smallest sound stage, the regulars are less so, and after 6 years, I finally tried the 'audiophile' tips, the Ts-400, and lo and behold I like that the best, its perfect for me (for now). Ironic that it took me 6 years to try them, and I like it the best.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,469 of 12,035
neat, How do you find the fit?

Fine so far. The body tapers so much that fit isn't an issue, with me at least.

The obvious points which are worthy of being echoed are: there is lots of layering, good separation, very nice bass influence (for my taste), mids are forward (too far for my taste), treble extends nicely.

I don't find the mids to be so forward, more so that the dynamics are so good that vocals and instruments are strongly highlighted. This using the Final Type 5 tips and after 3 days of run-in. I wouldn't be surprised if other tips that drop the bass back a bit brings the vocals out more though.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #2,470 of 12,035
Fine so far. The body tapers so much that fit isn't an issue, with me at least.

I don't find the mids to be so forward, more so that the dynamics are so good that vocals and instruments are strongly highlighted. This using the Final Type 5 tips and after 3 days of run-in. I wouldn't be surprised if other tips that drop the bass back a bit brings the vocals out more though.
I'm so intrigued by these...

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #2,471 of 12,035
Try the Compys without the wax guard it will clarify the sound. Also, try the combo pack to explore the 3 different types. The super big ones (I forget what they are called, professional or something) will give best isolation and best bass but smallest sound stage, the regulars are less so, and after 6 years, I finally tried the 'audiophile' tips, the Ts-400, and lo and behold I like that the best, its perfect for me (for now). Ironic that it took me 6 years to try them, and I like it the best.
Will the ones without the wax guard increase the treble as well? Because with the wax guard in the treble is exactly where I want it with my V40. I might have to get the Sony ZX300 at some point, as Caleb said it was one of the best truely portable sources for the Solaris.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #2,472 of 12,035

Yes, strongly highlighted perhaps is more apt, as it is not present with all tracks.

I haven't experimented with tips outside of looking for a good fit and seal, which I struggled with for a while.

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #2,475 of 12,035
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back