Campfire - Solaris
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,176 of 12,035
That explains a lot. Tip rolling is a must.
@davidmolliere has them inserted deep with his U900 tips, which is probably ideal.
The spiral dots are not only wide, they also allow deeper insertion, and change the signature.
Very similar to the CL2 I own, tips change the sound dramatically.
Edit: tips are the least talked about factor when people discuss sound signatures.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,177 of 12,035
At the time I originally was rolling tips I had my iFi Black Label set to Ultra Sensitivity which as subsequent testing showed killed a lot of the Solaris' sound signature, but I completely forgot about that and just followed everyone's Symbio usage afterwards :confounded:

I also noticed that the specification for the Solaris say they're 24k Plated Gold, does that mean we can refer to the Solaris as jewellery :kissing_heart:

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #2,178 of 12,035
I cut down the inner tube by a mm on one pair of Symbios and thought they approached the Spiral Tips a bit.

I still have to do a A/B with:

Stock Symbio Peel
Trimmed Symbio Peel
JVC Spiral Tips (my general go to, esp for the Andros).

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #2,179 of 12,035
Not even considered trimming the symbio so that'd be an interesting experiment to hear the results of, although it seems I'm incredibly picky about my soundstage lol

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #2,180 of 12,035
So... I got my SE100 + Solaris in yesterday and... I'm in bliss. You guys were not joking about the Solaris.

Still can't believe that these little things wipe the floor with my LCD-2. Still too early for more impressions, but I wonder what burn-in will do to these.

Also, they hiss quite a bit on the SE100, but luckily I still have my IEMatch. Doesn't change the sound signature at all imho. At least on "High Sensitivity"

Needed to use the largest foam tips to get a good seal. Interesting, because I usually tend to use M sized ones for universals. Isolation is pretty average, but works for commuting.

Edit: Anyone has some tip recommendations? Foam usually works the best for me, but open to trying some new ones.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,181 of 12,035
If deep insertion is preferable with Solaris, should give double flanged Spinfits or E-Pro tips a try.

(Also, hope nobody overreacts this time to Crinacle’s impressions. Apparently the second demo was better in general, but with the same perceived flaws.)

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,182 of 12,035
If deep insertion is preferable with Solaris, should give double flanged Spinfits or E-Pro tips a try.

(Also, hope nobody overreacts this time to Crinacle’s impressions. Apparently the second demo was better in general, but with the same perceived flaws.)
Pitchfork?

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,183 of 12,035

Got a link to a listing for the e Pro? I'm googling it but getting a lot of crap results

It also seems like it's impossible to get the spin fits in the UK lol let alone double flange,although I did try single flange with my Andro before and they felt really weird and uncomfortable since they went too deep

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #2,184 of 12,035
Got a link to a listing for the e Pro? I'm googling it but getting a lot of crap results

It also seems like it's impossible to get the spin fits in the UK lol let alone double flange,although I did try single flange with my Andro before and they felt really weird and uncomfortable since they went too deep

I've managed to get both from eBay. Although the sellers listed say they could take months to deliver they typically take a week: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SpinFit-...var=485147338810&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,185 of 12,035

For the E-Pro, you might have some luck contacting Sammy from Rhapsodio. (Picked up one set at a local store in Korea and another when I stopped by Sammy’s workshop in Hong Kong.) I heard rumors that they’d be available on Amazon at some point, but not sure.

They look like this (http://www.schezade.co.kr/goods/g_detail.html?gid=3722), and for me, they were the best for getting a deep insertion because the outer part is really thin.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,186 of 12,035
Saw Crinacle grading the Solaris A+ which IMO isn’t as bad as he described with his first impression. Then again he still prefer Andromeda’s tuning since it’s still S- to his subjective ranking

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,187 of 12,035
Saw Crinacle grading the Solaris A+ which IMO isn’t as bad as he described with his first impression. Then again he still prefer Andromeda’s tuning since it’s still S- to his subjective ranking
Interesting, for me when I A/B'd the Solaris and the Andromeda (and Andromeda S) the Solaris was an easy pick over the two. The bass, and mids just sounded so real in comparison the the Andromeda. I remember thinking the Andromeda was amazing, then I put on the Solaris, and it definitely sounded more life like. The balance of frequency response on the Solaris is better fit for me too, I know people complain about the female vocal recession, but for me I listen to mostly male vocalists, and it usually only comes in with their falsettos, which for me works. Other than that the tonality and timbre are very lifelike for me accross the board, the highs still have that special quality that the andromda first won me over with, and the rest for me is a big improvement.

All I can say is that I am more than happy with my purchase. Just waiting on my V40 right now to get rid of that hiss... :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,188 of 12,035
Wow, the Andro sounded so average.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2,190 of 12,035
Yea I think his ranking is based on his personal sound signature preference, not which IEM is overall better

I disagree with that, since there’s a pretty wide range of sound signatures at each tier. Obviously tier lists will have some degree of subjectivity to them, but his doesn’t seem as affected by sonic preferences.

(You can disagree with the ratings, but let’s be real - if someone’s clumping the likes of Zeus/Prophile-8/Gemini/CE-5 in the same general rank, that goes beyond preferred sound signature.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back