Campfire - Solaris
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #2,102 of 12,035
I want to return them because $1500 is a lot but theyre just too good and precious so not a chance!
I understand. I wish I could justify the price esp after reading the Sounstage Solo review.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,104 of 12,035
I have one and when I used the Andros with it and the original Hugo, it took away too much sq. Maybe you'll have better luck with the iematch and your source.

Got the iematch too but for the Solaris. It took away the hiss but also took away some of the imaging... where it's not as etched in space within the soundstage.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,108 of 12,035
Anyone using an iFi black label to drive their Solaris, what settings have you found best? Unlike the Andro which was 1-ohm soundstage's analysis put the Solaris at around 5-18 ohms as expected from its hybrid design, and it feels like putting IEM match in Ultra reduces the treble or boosts the bass which covers up part of the treble

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,109 of 12,035
I set the idsd bl to high not ultra and eco mode. I don't find the need to set it to ultra with solaris. I have been doing the same with the iematch out of the CV5 as well.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2,110 of 12,035
That's what I've settled on as well, there's a noticeable hiss if IEM match isn't enabled but Ultra seems to change the signature whilst not using eco will blow your eardrums

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,111 of 12,035

Good catch, missed that review from @ryanjsoo on THL, indeed great comparison with the Phantom fully agree with him there.

While I am here I got myself a nice 8 core 4.4 to 3.5 adapter which enables me to use the Hansound Zen 8 wire with the ALO CV5 and oh my this is again quite a step up in SQ the 1Z / CV5 (with 6832 tube) / Zen 8 / Solaris combo is really breathtaking. The Solaris like good copper, and 8 wires really brings out superb bass textures, even richer mids with a more accurate timbre and even more refined treble. I have a hard time putting the combo down, really just lost in the music... so much so that all of a sudden the CV5 battery just emptied and I was amazed at how long I had been lost in it... fun times :D

This has been over a month and now close to 200 hours listening to the Solaris (yes, I do clock insane listening time... around 6 hours average... sure has taken its toll on sleep...) and I am still in absolute awe at the SQ, kudos to @KB

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,112 of 12,035
Good catch, missed that review from @ryanjsoo on THL, indeed great comparison with the Phantom fully agree with him there.

While I am here I got myself a nice 4.4 to 3.5 adapter which enables me to use the Hansound Zen 8 wire with the ALO CV5 and oh my this is again quite a step up in SQ the 1Z / CV5 (with 6832 tube) / Zen 8 / Solaris combo is really breathtaking. The Solaris like good copper, and 8 wires really brings out superb bass textures, even richer mids with a more accurate timbre and even more refined treble. I have a hard time putting the combo down, really just lost in the music... so much so that all of a sudden the CV5 battery just emptied and I was amazed at how long I had been lost in it... fun times :D

This has been over a month and now close to 200 hours listening to the Solaris (yes, I do clock insane listening time... around 6 hours average... sure has taken its toll on sleep...) and I am still in absolute awe at the SQ, kudos to @KB

I have a feeling the new leo II would match very well with the solaris. How is the hansound ear wraps? Im a big fan of EA shrinkwrap on the ears

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,113 of 12,035
I have a feeling the new leo II would match very well with the solaris. How is the hansound ear wraps? Im a big fan of EA shrinkwrap on the ears

Yeah Leo II seems to get a lot of high praise! There is no shrinkwrap on the HanSound, but with the 8 wire really it's not really an issue

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,114 of 12,035
It's significantly larger than Andro, but the case should still fit it.

Edit, meant to reply to @BananaOoyoo

It is bigger than the andro, but that doesn't mean it won't fit.

Andros fit me pretty well, but I have small ears and was worried about the fit of the Solaris. Once I got them, they fit fine, though they do stick out.

I also picked up the Vegas on black Friday. I was looking forward to using them on the go since they're so much smaller. Unfortunately, they actually don't fit me as well as the Solaris or andros.

All that to say, if fit is your concern, don't let that be the one deciding factor, because they may fit better than you think.

I may end up selling my Vegas because the fit just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #2,115 of 12,035
Got the Solaris for almost a month. On an average, they sound better than all other iems I have or had owned. And compete well with the full sized cans in many aspects. (checkout the sig). Notice the key word is "on an average".

One thing seems to get talked a lot about Solaris is the hiss. I don't recommend the iematch cable from ifi as a solution based on the experience with the iematch port from the nano idsd BL, presumably based on identical or very close approximation to the cable implementation.

I can confirm the following: (assuming a very quiet room)
Samsung Note 9-> Solaris.
Very noticeable hiss. And the hiss is very uneven, almost like some kind of static interference. However this does not bother me on other genera besides Jazz and classical (only talking about the hiss here, not the SQ of Note 9).

Samsung Note 9-> Dragon fly red -> Solaris. Significant hiss reduction, and the hiss becomes very even and just some weak fine grained noise. still easily audible when there's no music playing but I'm ok with this level

Samsung note 9 -> Ifi nano idsd BL -> Solaris.
On the iematch port, the hiss is almost gone but still audible when there's no music playing. However, the iematch changes the sound too much, for the worse.
Out of the direct port, the hiss is at least as good as the Dragonfly. The sound is way better than the iematch port.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back