Campfire - Solaris
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #10,201 of 12,035
a solaris with a planar would rock if implemented correctly

Are their any IEMs with Planars? I've heard the KSE 12/1500 and while it has its charms imho the bass was almost comically underwhelming.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #10,203 of 12,035
Are their any IEMs with Planars? I've heard the KSE 12/1500 and while it has its charms imho the bass was almost comically underwhelming.
there are planar iems out there. it's all about implementation tho. something like obravo cupids, while still having better bass texture than solaris, do not nearly touch the quality and sheer technicalities of my plunge demo, and both are DD/Planar hybrids.

kse is in a different ballpark. altho i'm sure that with proper eq their bass can also kickass, especially in trance tracks. i think that's where texture shows it's true colors the most.

there are plenty of planar iems, one that caught my eye was the nightingale by AAW. stunning look.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #10,204 of 12,035
there are planar iems out there. it's all about implementation tho. something like obravo cupids, while still having better bass texture than solaris, do not nearly touch the quality and sheer technicalities of my plunge demo, and both are DD/Planar hybrids.

kse is in a different ballpark. altho i'm sure that with proper eq their bass can also kickass, especially in trance tracks. i think that's where texture shows it's true colors the most.

there are plenty of planar iems, one that caught my eye was the nightingale by AAW. stunning look.

I look forward to trying them someday...but it will be a tough battle for me. I'm quite satisfied with the bass on Solaris and it won't be easily usurped.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #10,205 of 12,035
I look forward to trying them someday...but it will be a tough battle for me. I'm quite satisfied with the bass on Solaris and it won't be easily usurped.
i find it good too for things that do not require serious bass, which most things apparently don't.

i felt like it did well with metal, jazz, even rap/hiphop.
trance is where the plunge just pound and wipe the floor with the solarises. no competition.

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #10,206 of 12,035
Received some PMs regarding a comparison between Solaris 2020 & Hero. I can confidently say the Solaris 2020 is operating in another league. Bass is more defined on the Solaris 2020 while the Hero has a touch more sub-bass rumble. Quality over quantity IMO. The midrange on the Solaris 2020 has higher transparency level and vocals are belted out with better details retrieval albeit not as upfront. The treble on the Solaris 2020 has greater extension & comes with more sparkle and air. Soundstage width is just on another level with a holographic presentation while depth is slightly less. Hope this helps. My verdict: Solaris 2020. :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #10,207 of 12,035
Received some PMs regarding a comparison between Solaris 2020 & Hero. I can confidently say the Solaris 2020 is operating in another league. Bass is more defined on the Solaris 2020 while the Hero has a touch more sub-bass rumble. Quality over quantity IMO. The midrange on the Solaris 2020 has higher transparency level and vocals are belted out with better details retrieval albeit not as upfront. The treble on the Solaris 2020 has greater extension & comes with more sparkle and air. Soundstage width is just on another level with a holographic presentation while depth is slightly less. Hope this helps. My verdict: Solaris 2020. :)

Thanks for that comparison.. I had been wondering how the Hero stacked up and I'm glad to check that off the list. I can't see much besting the Solaris 2020 for my preferences.

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #10,208 of 12,035
Thanks for that comparison.. I had been wondering how the Hero stacked up and I'm glad to check that off the list. I can't see much besting the Solaris 2020 for my preferences.
Glad to be of help. You are perfectly fine with the Solaris 2020. It is just superior to the Hero. Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #10,209 of 12,035

Audeze LCD i4, i3, iSines, RHA CL2 to name a few

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #10,210 of 12,035
Glad to be of help. You are perfectly fine with the Solaris 2020. It is just superior to the Hero. Cheers.
I disagree tbh but each are entitled to their opinion. I have not heard the 2020 but I own the SE (many report that both are similar). I find Hero to have a more visceral bass response, are better with female vocals and is slightly better in terms of detail retrieval. It also takes the cake for engagement factor. I love the Solaris SE for different reasons (mainly it’s soundstage and imaging) but the Hero is not trying to compete in this regard IMO. Hero is more of a feral iem for faster genres, it’s mid bass is also better presented and textured. Each to their own!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #10,211 of 12,035
I disagree tbh but each are entitled to their opinion. I have not heard the 2020 but I own the SE (many report that both are similar). I find Hero to have a more visceral bass response, are better with female vocals and is slightly better in terms of detail retrieval. It also takes the cake for engagement factor. I love the Solaris SE for different reasons (mainly it’s soundstage and imaging) but the Hero is not trying to compete in this regard IMO. Hero is more of a feral iem for faster genres, it’s mid bass is also better presented and textured. Each to their own!
Hero has more sub-bass rumble and upfront midrange which we both agree on. However, in terms of technical ability, I find the Solaris 2020 to have an edge with extra clarity. It has a more extended and detailed top end with sparkle. As you have mentioned too, the Solaris definitely has the edge with soundstage and imaging. The Hero is going for more low end emphasis but based on overall performance, Solaris 2020 still wins it for me. We are all entitled to our opinions for sure but my final verdict is still Solaris 2020. Cheers. :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #10,212 of 12,035
Taiwan New Line Han Sheng NYX 8
It's a cheap entry line. Sound is really good.
C32AFB28-B6A7-4791-9FA2-6065EC860FFF.jpeg

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #10,215 of 12,035
Taiwan New Line Han Sheng NYX 8
It's a cheap entry line. Sound is really good.
Han Sound cables are solid in both sound and aesthetics. How does the Nyx 8 improves the Solaris SE for you?

For myself, have been using the Han Sound Agni II on the Solaris OG.
FB_IMG_1601140055807.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back