Campfire - Solaris
Mar 15, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #4,067 of 12,035
Well when you try it tell us if you find it engaging and emotional at its core but with some differences. Are you going to be listening to a burnt in unit on the same stuff as you listen to the Atlas?

By the way, any reason to buy the Solaris from a particular place, say the campfire website vs headphones.com?
Unless you're planning to make the Solaris your one-and-only, I would always buy used. I'm about to sell one of my Andromeda's and it's not fun to lose that kind of money.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,068 of 12,035
Well when you try it tell us if you find it engaging and emotional at its core but with some differences. Are you going to be listening to a burnt in unit on the same stuff as you listen to the Atlas?

Not sure about burn in but the demo unit will likely have some time on it. I should be able to get a pretty good picture. Similar music but not entirely. I'm not looking for a replacement to the Atlas but a complement. The Atlas is great for when I want to be uplifted and moved by the music, the Solaris (from what I gather) is great if you want to melt into the details of your music. So with the Atlas I love anything rooted in rhythm and beats (reggae, funk, edm) and with the Solaris I'll probably want to try some more ambient/live/instrumental stuff-- Floyd, Brian Eno, vocal jazz, classical etc. But there will be some crossover.

By the way, any reason to buy the Solaris from a particular place, say the campfire website vs headphones.com?

If I was in the US I would probably order from Campfire but I'm within earshot of the only CA distributor in Canada so in order to avoid the border, currency exchange and be able to demo the unit and get free shipping I prefer to deal with them.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,069 of 12,035
Not sure about burn in but the demo unit will likely have some time on it. I should be able to get a pretty good picture. Similar music but not entirely. I'm not looking for a replacement to the Atlas but a complement. The Atlas is great for when I want to be uplifted and moved by the music, the Solaris (from what I gather) is great if you want to melt into the details of your music. So with the Atlas I love anything rooted in rhythm and beats (reggae, funk, edm) and with the Solaris I'll probably want to try some more ambient/live/instrumental stuff-- Floyd, Brian Eno, vocal jazz, classical etc. But there will be some crossover.

If I was in the US I would probably order from Campfire but I'm within earshot of the only CA distributor in Canada so in order to avoid the border, currency exchange and be able to demo the unit and get free shipping I prefer to deal with them.

I’m in Manitoba so I can’t really get over to BC to try the Solaris, I used to live in Coquitlam when I was younger, I wish I was still there just for the option of going to the headphone bar lol. Let me know how you find the Solaris (I’m currently using k10’s as my main, which replaced my ie800 that I now need to get rid of). Trying to decide if the Solaris is worth getting alongside the K10’s, without even having the opportunity to try them myself.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4,071 of 12,035
Both of them or just the Greens?, Didn't think you were swayed by the Solaris, what changed your mind?.
Just the OG Green. The Solaris is very compelling but the Andromeda S suits me better. I'll try to listen to the ier-z1r, just because I find the design interesting, but unless they blow my mind I'll be sticking with the Andros for a while.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,072 of 12,035
Just the OG Green. The Solaris is very compelling but the Andromeda S suits me better. I'll try to listen to the ier-z1r, just because I find the design interesting, but unless they blow my mind I'll be sticking with the Andros for a while.

The z1r is tempting but sadly beyond what I'm willing/able to pay. I could get both a Solaris and an Andro for the price.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #4,073 of 12,035
The z1r is tempting but sadly beyond what I'm willing/able to pay. I could get both a Solaris and an Andro for the price.

Yeah, but you can't stick both of them in your ears at he same time for double the effect. I get it though, you really like the Atlas, so you would getting 2 distinct experiences.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #4,074 of 12,035

That's kinda reassuring, as I still don't quite understand the market segment into which the Solaris are meant to fit. Much like the Audeze iem's ...too big for ultra portable, too small for home.

From the CA stable I've only heard the OG, but it ticks enough boxes to keep me happy. I can't fault the sound, even the bass is more than enough, I can't figure the criticism they get as being bass light as every D&B, Metal, TechHouse and Industrial album I own (FLAC) sounds as I'd expect and not a great compromise from my previous not portable Linn/Arcam/Musical Fidelity set up.

My current requirement being for an ultra portable Hi-Fi system (I don't work at a desk, I'm mobile) that stores all of my music library (410GB currently) and still fits in my pocket, with an AK70 Mkii (Comming from an HTC 10 & U12+ using PowerAmp & Neutron) imo the AK sounds a whole lot better than a phone) and Andromeda OG linked via Forza Hybrid 2.5mm trrs cable I'm in a Very Happy place. All the kit fits into an XXS Exped drybag which slips into my pocket with ease, so is always with me.

For lazy Sunday mornings at home (when I'm not working Sundays), I link the AK70 to an iFi iDSD BL and a pair of Sennheiser HD660S headphones via a Forza Claire Hybrid cable.

...not sure if I'd have a use for the Solaris

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #4,075 of 12,035
Yeah, but you can't stick both of them in your ears at he same time for double the effect. I get it though, you really like the Atlas, so you would getting 2 distinct experiences.

I said Andro not Atlas :p The Z1R is competing with the Solaris and my point was more that you can buy two Campfire flagships for the price of one of Campfire's. I love Sony products but they've always been (imho) over priced.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #4,076 of 12,035
I said Andro not Atlas :p The Z1R is competing with the Solaris and my point was more that you can buy two Campfire flagships for the price of one of Campfire's. I love Sony products but they've always been (imho) over priced.
Sorry, missed that. You can even buy 3 campfire flagships for the price of one 64 audio one. :)
Whether the z1r is worth the money or not is another question, for now I'm just curious if I like what it sounds like.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #4,077 of 12,035
That's kinda reassuring, as I still don't quite understand the market segment into which the Solaris are meant to fit. Much like the Audeze iem's ...too big for ultra portable, too small for home.

From the CA stable I've only heard the OG, but it ticks enough boxes to keep me happy. I can't fault the sound, even the bass is more than enough, I can't figure the criticism they get as being bass light as every D&B, Metal, TechHouse and Industrial album I own (FLAC) sounds as I'd expect and not a great compromise from my previous not portable Linn/Arcam/Musical Fidelity set up.

My current requirement being for an ultra portable Hi-Fi system (I don't work at a desk, I'm mobile) that stores all of my music library (410GB currently) and still fits in my pocket, with an AK70 Mkii (Comming from an HTC 10 & U12+ using PowerAmp & Neutron) imo the AK sounds a whole lot better than a phone) and Andromeda OG linked via Forza Hybrid 2.5mm trrs cable I'm in a Very Happy place. All the kit fits into an XXS Exped drybag which slips into my pocket with ease, so is always with me.

For lazy Sunday mornings at home (when I'm not working Sundays), I link the AK70 to an iFi iDSD BL and a pair of Sennheiser HD660S headphones via a Forza Claire Hybrid cable.

...not sure if I'd have a use for the Solaris

If you're happy, you're happy! Don't let other people's hype ruin that. If you have a chance to audition the Solaris, go ahead and do it, but I wouldn't say it's a must have experience if you've already heard the Andro.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,078 of 12,035
The interesting thing is that this shouldn't be that confusable. From the words I see everyone using here we all seem to understand soundstage as the amount of space covered by the sound coming out of a headphone or iem. Imaging, separation, etc. seem to be separate terms to describe sound within the soundstage and anyway all everyone has been talking about ranges from small to vastly bigger.
That's similar to how I understand these terms.
I think we may be using the same words to mean different things. When I talk about soundstage I am talking about the complete 3 dimensional space in which sound is perceived to be occurring (the outer edges of the room/venue), which is distinct from instrument/band placement or how far away from the instrument/band you are (things I associate more with imaging and presentation).
To me your definition is a bit different and I don't quite understand it.

Let me put it this way. When I close my eyes, if I "see" the music coming from many different direction, then I associate that with a large soundstage. If it feels like the music is coming out of narrow corridor in front of me, then that's a small soundstage. Do you see this definition as compatible to yours?

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #4,079 of 12,035
my Gummies alrd come

will give impression in the moment

Now I will never get the wrong side. .
Hahaha... I thought it was easzpieze comparision.... it was not....

set up My usual Tip : TFZ Silicon big bore, CA stock Foam and the Gummies....
6 flac Songs reflect each freq and Cable swapping....

goals : Is Foam really reduce High and also Low Freq?

my impression:
my base standar (TFZ Silicon Big bore)
Low : bass tight puncy, no boomy, Good detail Rumble
Mid : as suppose to be.. sub & Hi Mid not blurring....
High : Spark, Detail, Pinchy but not sibilance
Sound Signature (SS) : Flat
Comfort : alrd get use to play more than 3 hours.
Isolation : yah, u know Silicon tips isolation lah....(Singlish, No offense)

CA stock Foam
Low
: not quite Puncy, A bit boomy (but consider tight), rumble still there (Confirm reduce Low)
Mid : sub Mid Excel in the most expectation, Hi Mid is more foward and detail.
High : Where’s the CA signature Spark?? ? (Confirm reduce significant High freq)
SS : Mid Centric, I think is because High and Low was so damp...
Comfort : The IEM is more stick out from my ear, but stuck sturdy in my ear.
Isolation : I was tuck in the head because There are somebody outside, which mean, Very good..
IMO, Is good if I want to present Solaris to Senior audio person, which tends mid centric. Solaris sub and Hi Mid is can be contend to other Mid centric IEM. .

GUMMIES (bear) Foam...
Low : (compare to CA stock foam) same puncy (so little), Boommy. Not to detail rumble
Mid : not as excel as CA stock Foam. Hi Mid a bit blur.....
High : (little) Spark is there !!!, detail make Soundstage more wider
SS : Feels flat with tendency to Cold...
Comfort : like CA foam stock
Isolation : stuck steady with IEM a bit more stick out... Similar like CA foam Stock, now my daughter was upset because I forgot (not hear) to order her food Online.... GOOD isolation

My Impression summary :
- either foam had good Isolation, so good that I don't recommend this if you use this walk outside, IMO.
- I put SS in because CA Stock foam really make Solaris Mid centric.
- all above is using Slitz SE cable. But if I swap to ABnormalz Cable (Warm), The Low freq become present, Punchy and Rumble. with even lesser High spark on Gummies (Bear) foam.

The answer : Yes, foam reduce Low and High freq.... (quite general and common, everyone knows that)

this Gummies give different sound signature than CA stock Foam....
Its not too much damp the low, so still puncy, with tolerate amount of High Spark, compare to CA foam stock

I prob buying too much, but its damn cheap that my impulse buying can be tolerate... #myselfdefense

20190316_073159.jpg
btw, yes, I buy the gummies size too big... but fortunately, good fit in my ear (edit 2)

below is my Playlist (if u want to know)
20190316_080117.jpg
to Lazy to type (alrd to much)

edit : mistypo correction

Back to Cable swapping using Abnormalz and Gummies.... Good Combo for me now... Tq @Dsnuts for the point out
20190316_092611.jpg

edit 3: Thanks to my daughter that point out, the combo give a good amount of Puncy, Boomy and Rumble when playing the most moody teen singer (Billie Eilish - Bury a friend). Don't like the lyrics, but the music is nice to test Low Freq

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #4,080 of 12,035
Looking forward for that IER Z1R impression. Know somebody here that have Andro S and want to change to Z1R after demo it.... #blinking

it was quite contra between Andro S (Mid focus) and Z1R (U/V shaped). makes me want to try also if available #2ndBlink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back