Campfire Dorado 2020
Jan 12, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #347 of 1,452
Very helpful review.
Oops I accidentally replied to myself ... newbie mistake. For me you hit many key points in a clear manner. This has helped my buying decision on whether to add this to complement my Andro 2020. Because I listen to all sorts of music - but not hip-hop or EDM - I’m leaning against it.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #348 of 1,452
Oops I accidentally replied to myself ... newbie mistake. For me you hit many key points in a clear manner. This has helped my buying decision on whether to add this to complement my Andro 2020. Because I listen to all sorts of music - but not hip-hop or EDM - I’m leaning against it.
My 2p
Coming from the shure se846.
I think these are not bassy iems. It’s just that the bass is very textured. I listen predominantly to jazz and old rock and progressive rock (think Pink Floyd).
I am enjoying these iems so so much. They are incredibly musical.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #349 of 1,452
My 2p
Coming from the shure se846.
I think these are not bassy iems. It’s just that the bass is very textured. I listen predominantly to jazz and old rock and progressive rock (think Pink Floyd).
I am enjoying these iems so so much. They are incredibly musical.
Thanks! Jazz and old rock (including Pink Floyd) are certainly on my playlist, too. Musical is what I would want as well as something that is a change of pace from the Andromeda (which I like for what it does). I am a big fan of CA and would like to stay in their product family, so maybe l should lean back 🤔

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #350 of 1,452
Dorado Notes fom the last few days.

A small list of type of music I listen to regularly is listed here:

70's-80's Soul/R&B - Isley Brothers , Stevie Wonder

Contemporary R&B - Sza , Jhene Aiko

Rock - The Black Keys, Albama Shakes

Folk/Indie Soul - Sean Hayes

Choral (when reading) - Thomas Tallis

Salsa /Latin - Marc Anthony, Willie Gonalez , Frankie Ruiz

Reggaeton - Bad Bunny

Hip Hop - Kendrik Lamar

Reggae - Bob Marley, Vybz Kartel, Popcaan

As I am not great at explaining "audiophile terms" I will try to explain how I hear and view the dorado with 2 analogies.

Circa 1997 as a small child I use to read video game magazine when passing the game store to see how they rated the newest and upcoming games. In those days (im not sure if it is still that way) a major part of the rating was fun factor. 007 Golden Eye for Nintendo 64 at the time didnt have the best graphics or sense of realism but it was off the charts in fun factor. Literally I can still remember the 4 way multiplayer being some of the most fun I have ever had playing video games.

I think Goldeneye was ranked as one the best videogames of all time due to in great part that "fun factor". I see The Dorado 2020 in this light, I'm not saying it will be some all time legendary tuning/iem (or maybe it will who knows). Im just saying that these have showed me I dont need to chase the newest, greatest, and lets not forget expensive TOTL iem/ technology of the moment simply because its technically superior.

I am saying the Dorados provide what this whole thing is about, ENJOYMENT OF THE MUSIC. they tuck away comfortably and nearly unoticably in my ears and I get to head nodding ,toe tapping and even some uncontrollable outloud singing/blurting of my favorite parts of songs.

There are always those women that match a certain standard of beauty. They match a certain asthetic. A woman that would be an ideal wife based on outside appearances but is for a lack of a better word a prude (this being the more technical or analytical iems) . But there is always another type that is vuloputuous with crazy sex appeal who is just down right fun to be with.

The Dorados imo are that fun to be with sexy girl that just has that special something you cant quite put your finger on. Which of those two types of women you like are really personal preference.

I can definitively say that I do prefer the Dorado 2020 over the OG Solaris. I guess im a sucker for a good time. While the Solaris has wonderful staging and those so often lauded holographics, If I could only have one I would take the Dorado.

I dont listen to the dorados and think there is any difference in quality of sound versus the Solaris. In other words the Solaris dont sound more expensive. If I didnt know the price of either I would guess they were about the same. I really just hear more open space for the solaris and a different tuning.

These manage to provide big, textured, detailed bass while still being clear, lush warm and refined in other parts of the frequency range. The bass never clouds, and I find they handle busy passages rather well. Instruments, vocals and bass all maintain there own personal space without getting convoluted.

Vocals overall are natural and have a slight silkyness to them. I have also noted that snares and some drum hits have a slight wetness or maybe I should say satisfying decay. Drum breaks provide a satisfying groove that just pull me into the music.

Listening to Bon Iver 715 Creek live version, he uses an autoune type voice affect that creates mutiple voices. The Dorados allows me to hear all of those voices seperatly all while providing significant weight , size and texture that allows me to really feel the emotion he gives off in the moment. Extremely enjoyable and quite addictive to listen to. Magical might be the right word use.

Goes without out saying this is all simply my personal opinion.

I have sent these to ADV Sound to have custom tips made so I will be with out them for a few weeks. Also I am waiting on the Plussound Exo Series Palladium Played Hybrid cable to come in and I will give some update on what I hear once I get them back in my possesion.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #351 of 1,452

Reggaeton - Bad Bunny

Hip Hop - Kendrik Lamar

As I am not great at explaining "audiophile terms" I will try to explain how I hear and view the dorado with 2 analogies.

Circa 1997 as a small child I use read video game magazine when passing the game store to see how they rated the newest and upcoming games. In those days (im not sure if it still that way) a major part of the rating was fun factor. 007 Golden Eye for Nintendo 64 at the time didnt have the best graphics or sense of realism but it was off the charts in fun factor. Literally I can still remember the 4 way multiplayer being some of the most fun I have ever had playing video games.

I think Goldeneye was ranked as one the best videogames of all time due to in great part that "fun factor". I see The Dorado 2020 in this light, I'm not saying it will be some all time legendary tuning/iem (or maybe it will who knows). Im just saying that these have showed me I dont need to chase the newest, greatest, and lets not forget expensive TOTL iem/ technology of the moment simply because its technically superior.

I am saying the Dorados provide what this whole thing is about, ENJOYMENT OF THE MUSIC. they tuck away comfortably and nearly unoticably in my ears and I get to head nodding ,toe tapping and even some uncontrollable outloud singing/blurting of my favorite parts of songs.

There are always those women that match a certain standard of beauty. They match a certain asthetic. A woman that would be an ideal wife based on outside appearances but is for a lacknl of a better word a prude (this being the more technical or analytical iems) . But there is always another type that is vuloputuous with crazy sex appeal who is just down right fun to be with.

The Dorados imo are that fun to be with sexy girl that just has that special something you cant quite put your finger on. Which of those two types of women you like are really personal preference.

I can definitively say that I do prefer the Dorado 2020 over the OG Solaris. I guess im a sucker for a good time. While the Solaris has wonderful staging and those so often lauded holographics, If I could only have one I would take the Dorado.

I dont listen to the dorados and think there is any difference in quality of sound versus the Solaris. In other words the Solaris dont sound more expensive. If I didnt know the price of either I would guess they were about the same. I really just hear more open space for the solaris and a different tuning.

These manage to provide big, textured, detailed bass while still being clear, lush warm and refined in other parts of the frequency range. The bass never clouds, and I find they handle busy passages rather well. Instruments, vocals and bass all maintain there own personal space without getting convoluted.

Vocals overall are natural and have a slight silkyness to them. I have also noted that snared and some drum hits have a slight wetness or maybe I should say satisfying decay. Drum breaks provide a satisfying groove that just pull me into the music.

Listening to Bon Iver 715 Creek live version, he uses an autoune type voice affect that creates mutiple voices. The Dorados allows me to hear all of those voices seperatly all while providing significant weight , size and texture that allows me to really feel the emotion he gives off in the moment. Extremely enjoyable and quite addictive to listen to. Magical might be the right word use.

I have sent these to ADV Sound to have custom tips made so I will be with out them for a few weeks. Also I am waiting on the Plussound Exo Series Palladium Played Hybrid cable to come in and I will give some update on what I hear once I get them back in my possesion.

Great job buddy! One of my fav IEMs to date...musical beasts

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #352 of 1,452

Reggaeton - Bad Bunny

Hip Hop - Kendrik Lamar

Circa 1997 as a small child I use read video game magazine when passing the game store to see how they rated the newest and upcoming games. In those days (im not sure if it still that way) a major part of the rating was fun factor. 007 Golden Eye for Nintendo 64 at the time didnt have the best graphics or sense of realism but it was off the charts in fun factor. Literally I can still remember the 4 way multiplayer being some of the most fun I have ever had playing video games.

There are always those women that match a certain standard of beauty. They match a certain asthetic. A woman that would be an ideal wife based on outside appearances but is for a lacknl of a better word a prude (this being the more technical or analytical iems) . But there is always another type that is vuloputuous with crazy sex appeal who is just down right fun to be with.

Vocals overall are natural and have a slight silkyness to them. I have also noted that snared and some drum hits have a slight wetness or maybe I should say satisfying decay. Drum breaks provide a satisfying groove that just pull me into the music.

What a great read. I totally get what you are saying! It is like a Ford Mustang I once owned...

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #353 of 1,452
Dorado 2020 ordered!

Along with the Super Smoky Litz cable 2.5mm balanced.

I originally was leaning towards Vega 2020 (because white) but since it is single DD just like Lyra II I’ll go Dorado for flavour options. Out of all my IEM collection the Lyra has been the most comfortable for lengthy listening sessions. I figure with Dorado it will be exceptional with AK SR25.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #354 of 1,452
Dorado 2020 ordered!

I originally was leaning towards Vega 2020 (because white) but since it is single DD just like Lyra II I’ll go Dorado for flavour options. Out of all my IEM collection the Lyra has been the most comfortable for lengthy listening sessions. I figure with Dorado it will be exceptional with AK SR25.
Looking forward to your impressions with the SR25, Dorado 2020 is on my shortlist

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #355 of 1,452
Dorado 2020 ordered!

It really sounds great out of the SR25 2.5mm output, you’ll love it. I’ve just bought a third PW audio Loki for the Dorado 2020 and it really pairs so well with it... feels like welcoming an old friend back 😂

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #356 of 1,452
Dorado 2020 arrived today!

I have to say I am pleased with these IEMs straight out of the box. I immediately switched out the stock 3.5mm for the Super Smoky Litz 2.5mm I ordered along with the D2020 to use with my newly acquired AK SR25. I haven’t played around with the ear tips yet but the pre-installed marshmallows fit fine and provide the needed isolation. Despite slightly larger nozzle port on the 2020 the phones fit comfortably in my ear canal, just as good as the Lyra II.

I have a bunch of go-to tracks and albums for trying out new phones. For this first-time session I just fired up London Grammar’s Truth is a Beautiful Thing album (FLAC 44.1/24) and played beginning to end. The album has a lot of varying sound and detail consisting of piano, acoustic/electric guitar, low-end, and Hannah Reid’s wide ranging vocal from very high/shrill notes down to some bass-y moments. It’s a great catch-all album for a quick demo. The first track “Rooting For You” is a good one because of all the previous mentioned musical aspects and there’s a very low rumbling bass at the near end of the song. I always like to use this song to test bass output on any head/earphone. I’m by no means a “basshead” but I do like to feel that bass when it’s warranted.

So musically the D2020 delivers. For the aforementioned bass/low end, the D2020 also delivers. As I was listening there were occasions where I felt organs inside my body shifting places. I could feel vibration in my heel bones. There was a track that I thought I was very familiar with and this time I could hear a subtle keyboard arrangement underlying the main chorus that I had not heard before. I went back to my N5005 for that same song and yes, I could now hear that keyboard but it definitely is not as apparent as it is via the Dorado. Overall D2020 provides great separation and a nice wide soundstage. It’s not as bright as I thought it would be which is a good thing.

I do plan to try different set ups with my hardware collection but with the AK SR25 and Dorado 2020 combo I’ve found my end-game*. I’m a “budget conscious” music lover so I’m happy about this.

(*)- End-game until I buy and try other stuff in the years to come. :)

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #357 of 1,452
Dorado 2020 arrived today!

I have to say I am pleased with these IEMs straight out of the box. I immediately switched out the stock 3.5mm for the Super Smoky Litz 2.5mm I ordered along with the D2020 to use with my newly acquired AK SR25. I haven’t played around with the ear tips yet but the pre-installed marshmallows fit fine and provide the needed isolation. Despite slightly larger nozzle port on the 2020 the phones fit comfortably in my ear canal, just as good as the Lyra II.

I have a bunch of go-to tracks and albums for trying out new phones. For this first-time session I just fired up London Grammar’s Truth is a Beautiful Thing album (FLAC 44.1/24) and played beginning to end. The album has a lot of varying sound and detail consisting of piano, acoustic/electric guitar, low-end, and Hannah Reid’s wide ranging vocal from very high/shrill notes down to some bass-y moments. It’s a great catch-all album for a quick demo. The first track “Rooting For You” is a good one because of all the previous mentioned musical aspects and there’s a very low rumbling bass at the near end of the song. I always like to use this song to test bass output on any head/earphone. I’m by no means a “basshead” but I do like to feel that bass when it’s warranted.

So musically the D2020 delivers. For the aforementioned bass/low end, the D2020 also delivers. As I was listening there were occasions where I felt organs inside my body shifting places. I could feel vibration in my heel bones. There was a track that I thought I was very familiar with and this time I could hear a subtle keyboard arrangement underlying the main chorus that I had not heard before. I went back to my N5005 for that same song and yes, I could now hear that keyboard but it definitely is not as apparent as it is via the Dorado. Overall D2020 provides great separation and a nice wide soundstage. It’s not as bright as I thought it would be which is a good thing.

I do plan to try different set ups with my hardware collection but with the AK SR25 and Dorado 2020 combo I’ve found my end-game*. I’m a “budget conscious” music lover so I’m happy about this.

(*)- End-game until I buy and try other stuff in the years to come. :)
It’s a great combo! The SR25 sounds really great out of the balanced output and it synergises very well with the Dorado 2020. Even though I have the SE200 I often listen to them with the SR25... just a very clean, fun, more neutral listen. I would recommend the blackbird securefit foam tips for the dorado if you’re able to get you’re hands on them, they are the best I’ve tried with the D2020. Silicone wise the Faudio instrumental tips are very good as well as the spinfit cp145.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #358 of 1,452
I really want to hear these...if anyone out there in NA has a set and would like to do a "loaner swap" with my SE Solaris let's work something out!

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #359 of 1,452
I really want to hear these...if anyone out there in NA has a set and would like to do a "loaner swap" with my SE Solaris let's work something out!
Still absolutely loving it, really can’t see anything to dislike about this set. Had a night with it last night and it’s just so good for what I wanted it for and what it’s about.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #360 of 1,452
Still absolutely loving it, really can’t see anything to dislike about this set. Had a night with it last night and it’s just so good for what I wanted it for and what it’s about.

Did you listen to this Darko Podcast/interview with Ken Ball?

It's quite fascinating and goes a lot into the philosophy of the company and their approach to developing IEMs with a lot of discussion of the Dorado/Vega in the mix. Worth a listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back