Campfire Dorado 2020
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #317 of 1,452
"TECHNICAL GRADE: D+"
Haha, i think i'll pass on this one. It's a shame, i really hoped for a mini-Solaris with a smaller, more comfortable shape.
Proves my point, top to bottom.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #318 of 1,452
Not at all @mashuto, I was responding to OhmsClaws message, which was a bit of a personal attack that doesn't bring anything to the debate :wink:
Think you should read below.

Guy reads review.
Sees other person's gospel.
"Yeah I'll pass".
Told the best reviewer of anything is themselves, personal experience.
"Naw I'll trust this reviewer".

Point proven. Top to bottom. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #319 of 1,452
Did you read the name of the reviewer?
Yeah why don't you scroll up and see it was a response to the idea Aminus has a perceived grudge. But who are you again?

Edit: I would love to point out there's more likely than not a tattle tail train between here and SBAF back to reviewers.

Edit 2: for @aminus , entertaining and self aware. Bravo, but as someone pointed out whether you like it or not (not very familiar with your work per se) when people use the Google machine to blind buy due to lack of play funds (and not being privy to a tour circuit) certain individuals and websites have an overwhelming influence on the critical reception of any given product (headpi/expat/that gentleman who reviews DAPS and TOTL iems and cables I can't remember atm all top searches regularly).

As for the race war? There's no HiFi race war, there are rabid fans of certain brands that happen to fall between CA/BLON/LINSOUL/Moon Drop and this appears largely an in ear phenomenon not an over ear thing. Perhaps different type of people with crossover?

I've got more important things to care about with sedition in the capital building.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #320 of 1,452
I'm really excited for these and hope to have a set in my hands within the next couple weeks. Campfire probably has the most exciting and interesting IEM lineup going right now imho.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #321 of 1,452
whether you like it or not (not very familiar with your work per se) when people use the Google machine to blind buy due to lack of play funds (and not being privy to a tour circuit) certain individuals and websites have an overwhelming influence on the critical reception of any given product (headpi/expat/that gentleman who reviews DAPS and TOTL iems and cables I can't remember atm all top searches regularly).
I mean, that's not really something I can control. I don't know why you're telling me this, I don't exactly care all that much about who pops up first on google searches, given this is a hobby of mine and not a career.
As for the race war? There's no HiFi race war, there are rabid fans of certain brands that happen to fall between CA/BLON/LINSOUL/Moon Drop and this appears largely an in ear phenomenon not an over ear thing. Perhaps different type of people with crossover?
That was in response to the bizarre accusation that SG reviewers or people in general have some weird preference for Asian IEMs and a bias against western IEMs. I'm not all that familiar with the fanbases for Moondrop, Linsoul or Blon, and I really wouldn't go so far to say that I personally fall under any of them.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #322 of 1,452
Think you should read below.

Guy reads review.
Sees other person's gospel.
"Yeah I'll pass".
Told the best reviewer of anything is themselves, personal experience.
"Naw I'll trust this reviewer".

Point proven. Top to bottom. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

At the end of the day people are going to flock to those reviews/perceptions that resonate well with them, and ignore those that don't. One can lament that certain high profile groups/influencers have too much influence, or are abusing it...but at the end of the day it's all perception. I am excited to try these because people whose tastes/inclinations I have some sense of, and whose perceptions I trust have said great things about them...and I'm not going to let the noise of contradictory opinions from those that don't resonate as well with me get in the way. This hobby is a fundamentally human enterprise, and one centred around something many are very very passionate about... and as such will probably always be full of the same sort of conflicts and foibles that we are witnessing in this thread. The amount of drama that persists in this particular hobby does surprise me a little, however.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #323 of 1,452
I'm really excited for these and hope to have a set in my hands within the next couple weeks. Campfire probably has the most exciting and interesting IEM lineup going right now imho.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! I think are taste are in line and I trust your ears.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #324 of 1,452
Was really on the verge of getting a custom MEST blind, then I read ans saw things like "12k peak, bright, and thin" and have decided against it.

These Dorado 2020s on the other hand really have my interest peaked. They may be the iem I was waiting for campfire to make. I'm looking for just a few more impressions here before taking the leap.

For those who are enjoying the Dorado 2020 what cables are you using?

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #325 of 1,452
The MEST is a great IEM and I do recommend checking it out if you have the means. I'm really excited about the Dorado though. The Atlas was my first love in portable audio and to this day I still miss it sometimes and there are still some of my recordings that haven't sounded as good on anything I've had since. The Atlas had a simple and unapologetic bomobassity that was charming, irresistible and above all so much fun. My only really issue with was that I found the highs peaky and a bit metallic at times. Still on more than one occasion I've nearly pulled the trigger on another one just to spend some more time with it. Among other things it seems the Dorado 2020 is a direct upgrade to the Atlas with the highs, my only real misgiving with them, improved upon. Couple that with a fully dynamic midrange (something I have completely fallen for with the Elysium and, incidentally, something I haven't had since the Atlas) and typical Campfire excellence and you can color me very excited.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #326 of 1,452
Was really on the verge of getting a custom MEST blind, then I read ans saw things like "12k peak, bright, and thin" and have decided against it.

These Dorado 2020s on the other hand really have my interest peaked. They may be the iem I was waiting for campfire to make. I'm looking for just a few more impressions here before taking the leap.

For those who are enjoying the Dorado 2020 what cables are you using?
I picked up a PW No 10 cable that just got delivered this evening. Honestly cant speak to any sound differences. Partially because I just got it and have barely used it, but also because I am really not a big believer in cables making any audible difference (outside of impedance stuff and volume mismatch issues). Was mostly interested in ergonomics and they seem nice so far. But Ill try and jump in tomorrow at some point with a bit more info.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #327 of 1,452
The MEST is a great IEM and I do recommend checking it out if you have the means. I'm really excited about the Dorado though. The Atlas was my first love in portable audio and to this day I still miss it sometimes and there are still some of my recordings that haven't sounded as good on anything I've had since. The Atlas had a simple and unapologetic bomobassity that was charming, irresistible and above all so much fun. My only really issue with was that I found the highs peaky and a bit metallic at times. Still on more than one occasion I've nearly pulled the trigger on another one just to spend some more time with it. Among other things it seems the Dorado 2020 is a direct upgrade to the Atlas with the highs, my only real misgiving with them, improved upon. Couple that with a fully dynamic midrange (something I have completely fallen for with the Elysium and, incidentally, something I haven't had since the Atlas) and typical Campfire excellence and you can color me very excited.
My only thing with the MEST is I dont have a way to demo them. I was in New York for a few days at the begining of December but no universal version was available for me to listen to. Having travel booked for the next few months, I really dont see how I would get a chance to hear them besides just buying them.

It would be terrible if I spent $14 -1800 US and still wasnt satisfied. Truthfullly there are about 4 to 5 iems I really want to listen to but my travel schedule just doesnt allow it. I have decided that until I can at least demo iems I wont be taking such big risks blind buying.

Campfire for me is a more trusted source in that I have an idea of what their iems sound like and based on impressions here It seems the dorados are my cup of tea. They can at least hold me over until I get a chance to hear some of those elusive Summit Fi level iems

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #328 of 1,452
My only thing with the MEST is I dont have a way to demo them. I was in New York for a few days at the begining of December but no universal version was available for me to listen to. Having travel booked for the next few months, I really dont see how I would get a chance to hear them besides just buying them.

It would be terrible if I spent $14 -1800 US and still wasnt satisfied. Truthfullly there are about 4 to 5 iems I really want to listen to but my travel schedule just doesnt allow it. I have decided that until I can at least demo iems I wont be taking such big risks blind buying.

Campfire for me is a more trusted source in that I have an idea of what their iems sound like and based on impressions here It seems the dorados are my cup of tea. They can at least hold me over until I get a chance to hear some of those elusive Summit Fi level iems

The idea for me is a high end bass cannon. The atlas ergonomics suck, and this is allegedly a direct upgrade. My nemesis on graph nearly mirror the Legend X and have about the same low end response as the Polaris v2... however, the nemesis while fully capable with 2 W9 DD's only produce the quantity in the recording at the amplitude it was recorded at. So they're very capable but not "fun" and a graph couldn't tell you that.
(Anyone who thinks the Nemesis are too bass heavy are kidding themselves or VERY sensitive to low end. As a low end junky, they're the highest quality bass I've heard and shape bass very well, but they aren't YEET BOOSTED like the Polaris v2 was nevermind what the graphs say. I also don't find them treble hot at all; they do however require wayyyy more juice than my Andromeda Golds or iSine 20's... or heck even my LCD-X's)

The Polaris v2 was an ear drum kicker, just BASS. Excellent for EDM and hip hop. OK for everything else (certainly better than airpods and beats and bose). It gets knocked for being 499$ not praised for executing the basshead lunacy it was tuned for. If there's any left in stock at ALO Warehouse for 300 ish... I'd take it.

The EE bravado MK2 is also a bass cannon sub 500$ with even better tonality but not perfect.

The ISN H40 is a 200$ rock star for bassheads.

I'm hoping the Dorado 2020 is in fact an atlas+ and a guilty pleasure with nice ceramic shells and a small size that can provide the visceral kick and rumble with better technicalities (APPARENTLY SUBJECTIVE) over its white shelled brother, Vega.

If you're going for a blind buy as a bass-y capable intermediate between summit fi... the Thieaudio Monarch with a 20Ohm feed through termination might be the ticket. Also versatile as a non 20ohm boosted piece for 400 less (tax/shipping included ish.) You just might have to wait if ordering from China rather than a Local dealer.

Fingers crossed though. Hopeful I don't return mine!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #330 of 1,452
I'm in the same boat. I may upgrade my source at some point in the new year, but that's about it..and honestly it's feeling like more of a relief than anything.

I have to add the IKKO Zerda ITM03 to my Best Of 2020, if anyone here has the Dorado 2020 and SR25 (@Tristy ?) and is inclined to test a small DAC/Amp, I suggest the ITM03... I also want to ensure I'm not crazy... the ITM03 is very close to the SR25 using it with Vox on an iPhone XR... too close for comfort to be honest :sweat: Sure they share the same DAC but, still... More power on the ITM03 perhaps? Or the fact that the ITM03 is impedance adaptive? IDK but I find it excellent.

Has anyone paired the Dorado with an Astell & Kern SR 25? I'm looking at the Dorado's 8 Ohm impedance and wondering if it is a good match.

Yes, they pair really well.

Yeah it's a really good synergy! To be honest with you, the SR25 seems to be consistently great with all CA IEM's I've tried it with.

I concur (this also answers my ? mark above).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back