Campfire Dorado 2020
Nov 5, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #91 of 1,452
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #92 of 1,452
Hopefully that is not a flaw in its design, as this would mean mandatory product recalls. Unlucky for you anyway :/

With EDM, IDM and ambient music, I've had tremendous luck with the Dorado 2020 right out of Apple's lightning dongle AND with the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red. Smooth, detailed information retrieval. All at low volume. With a track like Com Truise's Norkuy (Album: Cyanide Sisters EP), I've been able to suss out a little guitar riff at the end. In fact, the Dorado 2020 is gifted with the ability to open and close a track feeding me new information, allowing me to enjoy my entire catalog with new ears. And isn't that what getting new earphones is all about? :).

IMG_9365.jpegimages.jpg

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #93 of 1,452
With EDM, IDM and ambient music, I've had tremendous luck with the Dorado 2020 right out of Apple's lightning dongle AND with the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red. Smooth, detailed information retrieval. All at low volume. With a track like Com Truise's Norkuy (Album: Cyanide Sisters EP), I've been able to suss out a little guitar riff at the end. In fact, the Dorado 2020 is gifted with the ability to open and close a track feeding me new information, allowing me to enjoy my entire catalog with new ears. And isn't that what getting new earphones is all about? :).

IMG_9365.jpegimages.jpg

Thank you for the share ! I am still waiting for some more reviews comparing Dorado and Vega atm, notably Crinacle (love his reviews). In Europe, they are priced 999 and 1299€ respectively which makes it a tough choice being on a "tight" budget. Really looking forward to enjoy some awesome releases like Skee Mask's Compro, Andrea's Ritorno and one of my all time favorite : Alva Noto's Xerrox series. Like you said, it's all about enjoying music :wink:

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #94 of 1,452

IMG_9365.jpegimages.jpg

These are looking better and better as the days wear on.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #95 of 1,452
Thank you for the share ! I am still waiting for some more reviews comparing Dorado and Vega atm, notably Crinacle (love his reviews). In Europe, they are priced 999 and 1299€ respectively which makes it a tough choice being on a "tight" budget. Really looking forward to enjoy some awesome releases like Skee Mask's Compro, Andrea's Ritorno and one of my all time favorite : Alva Noto's Xerrox series. Like you said, it's all about enjoying music :wink:
Skee Mask and Alva Noto are two of my favorites. They sound great on a lot of gear. Excellent choices for this experiment. Let me know if you get the Vega’s. I actually really like the Novas for those two. Call me 😝.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #96 of 1,452
Skee Mask and Alva Noto are two of my favorites. They sound great on a lot of gear. Excellent choices for this experiment. Let me know if you get the Vega’s. I actually really like the Novas for those two. Call me 😝.

Nice :) Well, I think I'll wait for the Black friday offers and make a decision then. I'll make sure to share my impressions !

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #97 of 1,452
Still super quiet in here... And at the risk of sounding like a shill, I've got mine in ear right now. I'm liking them quite a bit as a solid upgrade path over the atlas, and I'm thinking it's likely time to finally move on completely from the atlas. Love the ceramic shell. Feels super premium, though it's a huge fingerprint magnet.

And just for some eye candy, here's a photo. Though just taken from my phone, so nothing super special.

PXL_20201116_160403948.jpg

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #98 of 1,452
Still super quiet in here... And at the risk of sounding like a shill, I've got mine in ear right now. I'm liking them quite a bit as a solid upgrade path over the atlas, and I'm thinking it's likely time to finally move on completely from the atlas. Love the ceramic shell. Feels super premium, though it's a huge fingerprint magnet.

And just for some eye candy, here's a photo. Though just taken from my phone, so nothing super special.

PXL_20201116_160403948.jpg
I'm very very close to pulling the trigger on them + a reference 8 balanced cable that I can get for a good deal. I'm just looking at the FR graph of this and the Atlas and I'm trying to decide as I'm able to get the Atlas + cable for around £750 and the Dorado 2020 + cable for around £1020... For its use case, I actually think the Atlas would be more suited... but I just can't bare the thought of an Atlas+ lingering hahah.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #99 of 1,452
I'm very very close to pulling the trigger on them + a reference 8 balanced cable that I can get for a good deal. I'm just looking at the FR graph of this and the Atlas and I'm trying to decide as I'm able to get the Atlas + cable for around £750 and the Dorado 2020 + cable for around £1020... For its use case, I actually think the Atlas would be more suited... but I just can't bare the thought of an Atlas+ lingering hahah.
Yea the dorado is definitely not a direct upgrade in that sense as it's definitely not targeting the same sound. So if you were looking for something just big and bassy for your collection, this one definitely isn't it. But comparing it directly to the atlas, the timbre of the atlas almost sounds off to me now. Though it may just be that I have grown quite used to hybrids and the treble presentation of the atlas is decidedly not the same as iems I have heard more recently with ba's handling the treble.

I also owned the ref 8 cable a while back and I personally wouldn't recommend it, unless you already know what you are getting and are set on the apparent sound changes you may get from it. It was really stiff and microphonic.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #100 of 1,452
Yea the dorado is definitely not a direct upgrade in that sense as it's definitely not targeting the same sound. So if you were looking for something just big and bassy for your collection, this one definitely isn't it. But comparing it directly to the atlas, the timbre of the atlas almost sounds off to me now. Though it may just be that I have grown quite used to hybrids and the treble presentation of the atlas is decidedly not the same as iems I have heard more recently with ba's handling the treble.

I also owned the ref 8 cable a while back and I personally wouldn't recommend it, unless you already know what you are getting and are set on the apparent sound changes you may get from it. It was really stiff and microphonic.
I had heard that but It is kind of getting thrown in for free and I'd need to pick up a balanced 2.5 cable either way. It just kind of sweetened the deal. I heard the Ref 8 is supposed to accentuate the treble more so?

Hmm yeah thats my issue with the sound sig (Atlas v Dorado) as I already know that I'd have technically superior IEM's to it. I did somewhat want a small, somewhat technically adept and convenient bass cannon for walks with the SR25. I've got some thinking to do...

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #101 of 1,452
I had heard that but It is kind of getting thrown in for free and I'd need to pick up a balanced 2.5 cable either way. It just kind of sweetened the deal. I heard the Ref 8 is supposed to accentuate the treble more so?

Hmm yeah thats my issue with the sound sig (Atlas v Dorado) as I already know that I'd have technically superior IEM's to it. I did somewhat want a small, somewhat technically adept and convenient bass cannon for walks with the SR25. I've got some thinking to do...
I'm definitely not the one to ask about cables as in my personal experience I have only heard sound differences due to volume mismatch. So comfort and ergonomics are really the only thing that is important to me when it comes to cables, with looks a very distant second. The ref 8 is however a very nice looking cable, it just wasn't great for ergonomics.

Have you used the atlas before? It's relatively heavy, and wearing it down may not be the most secure when out walking. But the dorado is definitely not a bass cannon. Seems like maybe the new vega might have a better spot in your collection, though i havent heard it to compare.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #103 of 1,452
That's an interesting looking graph for the dorado. Makes it look a bit more v shaped than I would say, though I wonder if that's just due to some of those dips and peaks. A bit weird they compare to the solaris as another "fun and bassy" iem where I heard the solaris as quite neutral and not what I would classify as bassy.

Also, did you end up making a decision one way or another?

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #104 of 1,452
That's an interesting looking graph for the dorado. Makes it look a bit more v shaped than I would say, though I wonder if that's just due to some of those dips and peaks. A bit weird they compare to the solaris as another "fun and bassy" iem where I heard the solaris as quite neutral and not what I would classify as bassy.

Also, did you end up making a decision one way or another?

Hmm yeah I thought the Solaris comparison was a little strange given the tuning direction and price difference.

Not yet, I've decided to see what the Black Friday sales here in the UK have to offer as I'd prefer to buy them here rather than overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back