Campfire Dorado 2020
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #1,442 of 1,452
I only used mine with foam and ended up selling them anyway. So I guess the tuning isn't for everyone (even if you can mitigate minor "flaws" using silicone or foam tips)
Yeah, these earphones seem to like to be played loud to get all the recessed sounds nice and clear, and once you arrive at the right volume level for each song it seems it was intentionally tuned that way, to shine in it's resolving power with the volume cranked up.

That's the flaw for me at least, that and too much treble.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #1,443 of 1,452
Yeah, these earphones seem to like to be played loud to get all the recessed sounds nice and clear, and once you arrive at the right volume level for each song it seems it was intentionally tuned that way, to shine in it's resolving power with the volume cranked up.

That's the flaw for me at least, that and too much treble.
I agree that the Dorado is one of the better IEMs in terms of audio staying clean with increased volume.

BUT, I still don't understand the "flaw" of it having too much treble. To me the treble is there, but over-shadowed by the huge sub- and mid-bass. It is pretty dark to me, and because I like as much treble as bass, for that reason, I let them go. But for over a year they were my TOTL IEM. I can't compete with you guys with multiple $1-3K IEMs!!

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,444 of 1,452
I agree that the Dorado is one of the better IEMs in terms of audio staying clean with increased volume.

BUT, I still don't understand the "flaw" of it having too much treble. To me the treble is there, but over-shadowed by the huge sub- and mid-bass. It is pretty dark to me, and because I like as much treble as bass, for that reason, I let them go. But for over a year they were my TOTL IEM. I can't compete with you guys with multiple $1-3K IEMs!!
Oh, see I think I might be one of those people that are somewhat sensitive to treble. For me the Dorado 2020's have a treble that shines through at lower volumes so when turned up it's skewed too heavily on the treble. I mean it's epic but a bit fatiguing after a couple hours, added to the higher volumes contributing factor as well.

To be honest I might be looking for an iem that has more bass quantity so I can turn the volume down when listening. This iem is just a bit too loud for my taste. If you're young and like pop music ,or listening to music loudly, this iem is hard to beat.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,445 of 1,452
After owning these for a day and tip rolling all the stock tips I have some early impressions.

First of all I'm like 85% sure whoever designed the sound on these was using foam tips when they did the tuning, and as a result most if not all complaints stem from using something other than foam tips when the listener formed their opinions.

With the best fitting final tip brand tip for my ears these sound, like the high end has a whole 'nother dimension on some songs but on others it makes it sound thin and shrill if you crank the volume, so you end up turning the volume way down from the foam tip settings. The real problem is on most songs they sound thin when using silicone tips, dare I say it sounds like straight crap and worthy of the hate these so often get.

Now, put on the foam tips and crank the volume and you hear what I'm almost certain the sound designer intended for you to hear. The mids are no like longer thin but there's heft, a chonkiness.

It sounds like a good car system with an 8" subwoofer maybe a 10" maybe. The volume seems like it's meant to be cranked on these too. Enjoy!
Glad that you like them! I dislike foam tips because I really don’t like rolling them before inserting. I imagine that the foam tips pull back the high end so that they don’t overpower the mids like I feel they do on most tracks with silicone tips.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,446 of 1,452
Glad that you like them! I dislike foam tips because I really don’t like rolling them before inserting. I imagine that the foam tips pull back the high end so that they don’t overpower the mids like I feel they do on most tracks with silicone tips.
Pretty much but they also make the mids much more solid and cohesive with the bass end.

My main complaint is that I think I'd go deaf eventually with these as my daily driver.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #1,448 of 1,452
It's almost like who ever tuned the dorado 2020's were just like, "I'm going to make the ultimate earphones for listening to music group MGMT while using foam tips."

All I can say is mission accomplished buddy!
Should check out Still Woozy/Glass Animals/No Vacation :wink:

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #1,450 of 1,452
has anyone heard these vs vega 2020? i like my sound smooth and slight warm and i like bass cannons
I’ve owned both multiple times haha. They have a fairly similar signature overall but vega is smoother, more romantic and more ‘L’ shaped in signature. Dorado 2020 is more energetic and more ‘W’ shaped.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #1,451 of 1,452
I’ve owned both multiple times haha. They have a fairly similar signature overall but vega is smoother, more romantic and more ‘L’ shaped in signature. Dorado 2020 is more energetic and more ‘W’ shaped.
100% agree with this.

It's almost impossible to get any kind of fatigue/sibilance from the Vega2020, they just sound smooth with anything from hi-res files to crappy Youtube recordings. Some find them boring but I've been enjoying mine for many many hours.

And they are only 299 on Drop, crazy good deal IMO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back