Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #5,221 of 5,394
The Vega's get a lot of praise but the constant mention of elevated(?) bass causes me to hold off, maybe the Andromeda's are better at giving a more balanced presentation? I like the W60's because nothing sounds out of place or exagerrated: they sound balanced to me and I wouldn't want an iem where the bass is dominant.
Can't see a UK dealer listed on their website, anyone know who stocks them?

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5,222 of 5,394
I've had the Vega for about two months in use with the Sony ZX300. I was mad at myself for this purchase because it was completely unnecessary. I already bought the Lyra II earlier this year which I enjoyed. The Andromeda and Dorado were also on my radar but ultimately I chose the Vega because I prefer DD and similar fit to the Lyra II.

The sound of the Vega has fullness to it that I haven't experienced with any other headphone or iem. I was worried about too much bass/V-shaped sound. Vega has handled all genres quite well while keeps vocals clear and present.

The ZX300 is the first time I went balanced with a DAP and I think it matches really well with the Vega. The treble is smooth yet has the right shimmer.
I'm happy to hear this. I've had Vega for 1.5 years now, have ordered the Andromeda S, and have been eyeballing the Sony ZX300 since before it was released. Really looking forward to that DAP and having one of my Litz cables reterminated as balanced.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #5,223 of 5,394
The Vega's get a lot of praise but the constant mention of elevated(?) bass causes me to hold off, maybe the Andromeda's are better at giving a more balanced presentation? I like the W60's because nothing sounds out of place or exagerrated: they sound balanced to me and I wouldn't want an iem where the bass is dominant.
Can't see a UK dealer listed on their website, anyone know who stocks them?

You're right to hold off since Vega is clearly a basshead IEM to me but the difference is that despite the basshead exaggeration levels, its peaky treble is right up there and the mids are slightly recessed (due to V-shape sound sig). Overall, its tonality is still bassy leaning to V-shape if there's a lot of treble in the mix. Andromeda is a more neutral IEM but its midrange can be more recessed than Vega when paired with very low OI devices.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #5,224 of 5,394
You're right to hold off since Vega is clearly a basshead IEM to me but the difference is that despite the basshead exaggeration levels, its peaky treble is right up there and the mids are slightly recessed (due to V-shape sound sig). Overall, its tonality is still bassy leaning to V-shape if there's a lot of treble in the mix. Andromeda is a more neutral IEM but its midrange can be more recessed than Vega when paired with very low OI devices.
Interesting you say that about the Andromedas mid range with low OI because my xdsd has around 0.5 ohm OI and I like the mid range but I do feel they are a tad in the background compared to what others experience.
Would it be beneficial to get a ifi IEmatch to get 2.5ohm OI?

I heard the IEMatch type devices take something away from FR and can make it sound thin

I wonder if the positive out way the negatives though

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #5,225 of 5,394
Would it be beneficial to get a ifi IEmatch to get 2.5ohm OI?

I heard the IEMatch type devices take something away from FR and can make it sound thin

I believe @Colors uses IEmatch with Andromeda to 2.5ohm OI. Though I've never used it, I can probably extrapolate with my iPhone 6S which have about 3 ohms or more OI and yes the mid-range is forward, soundstage is wide but the bass and mid-bass are thin and treble is a lot more sibilant. My iPod Touch 6G, however, has 1.7 ohm OI and the mids, bass and treble are just perfect for my ears.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #5,226 of 5,394
I just got a pair of Vega's recently, and I was wondering if anyone else was having fit issues? They seem like they would be a perfect fit considering their small size and ample tip selection, but I cannot for the life of me use any tip or manner of wearing them that alleviates almost instant discomfort when using these for any length of time. With silicone tips I find there is a pressure buildup in the ears which is not vented in any meaningful way, and noticeable driver flex when putting them into my ears. I also think the sound is not nearly as even toned and enjoyable as with foam ear tips. However, pain persists with the foamies, which really is a shame because they make the Vega's sound much better than silicone, which is also why I assume that Campfire has these as stock on their IEM's. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there perhaps a company that makes smaller foam tips than the ones included with the Vega's?

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #5,227 of 5,394
I just got a pair of Vega's recently, and I was wondering if anyone else was having fit issues? They seem like they would be a perfect fit considering their small size and ample tip selection, but I cannot for the life of me use any tip or manner of wearing them that alleviates almost instant discomfort when using these for any length of time. With silicone tips I find there is a pressure buildup in the ears which is not vented in any meaningful way, and noticeable driver flex when putting them into my ears. I also think the sound is not nearly as even toned and enjoyable as with foam ear tips. However, pain persists with the foamies, which really is a shame because they make the Vega's sound much better than silicone, which is also why I assume that Campfire has these as stock on their IEM's. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there perhaps a company that makes smaller foam tips than the ones included with the Vega's?

Have you tried the Dekoni Bulletz or Comply?

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #5,230 of 5,394
but I cannot for the life of me use any tip or manner of wearing them that alleviates almost instant discomfort when using these for any length of time ... However, pain persists with the foamies, which really is a shame because they make the Vega's sound much better than silicone,

I've got a question about the kind of discomfort you're feeling. Are you feeling just general soreness from prolonged insertion? Or... are you feeling a more sharp kind of pain? One that's more a constant irritation that worsens the longer the foamies are in?

I'm betting that the foamies are irritating your ear canals. In just a day of use, foam tips can irritate my ears so bad that there's minor tissue damage/scabbing. It was frustrating, though, because the stock silicone tips sound OK at best. Eventually, I figured out how to "vent" silicone tips, and now use the RHA Dual Density tips, with a little thread run through the bore to allow air pressure to balance more easily. It's been amazing. There's another user here, KevG (or something close), who got those tips on my recommendation and was really happy with them.

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #5,231 of 5,394
I've got a question about the kind of discomfort you're feeling. Are you feeling just general soreness from prolonged insertion? Or... are you feeling a more sharp kind of pain? One that's more a constant irritation that worsens the longer the foamies are in?

I'm betting that the foamies are irritating your ear canals. In just a day of use, foam tips can irritate my ears so bad that there's minor tissue damage/scabbing. It was frustrating, though, because the stock silicone tips sound OK at best. Eventually, I figured out how to "vent" silicone tips, and now use the RHA Dual Density tips, with a little thread run through the bore to allow air pressure to balance more easily. It's been amazing. There's another user here, KevG (or something close), who got those tips on my recommendation and was really happy with them.

Well because the foamies expand, it kind of pushes the Vega's back out of my ear canal which gives me a shallow fit and makes them sound practically open back. So I stuff them as deep in my ear as I can which makes me ears ache. Less of a sharp pain and more of a soreness, but its basically instant. I'll try the RHA's, hopefully they work!

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5,232 of 5,394
Well because the foamies expand, it kind of pushes the Vega's back out of my ear canal which gives me a shallow fit and makes them sound practically open back. So I stuff them as deep in my ear as I can which makes me ears ache. Less of a sharp pain and more of a soreness, but its basically instant. I'll try the RHA's, hopefully they work!
If it's basically instant, then I'm betting on the foam being an irritant.

The RHA are great, but you'll have issues with a hard seal. That's why I vent them with 1mm thread, each time I change tips. I can link an image of what that looks like to do.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #5,233 of 5,394
I too would suffer from irritation when using foam tips.

On my other IEMs I would aways use M tips, with the Vega I found I needed a M and a L. No no more irritation.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #5,234 of 5,394
Comply has different foam shapes and sizes. Maybe try picking up one of their sample packs and trying different fits?

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #5,235 of 5,394

I had the same issues as you, I noticed the Vega have a significant longer nozzle than my other IEM, so the tip on its own ends up deeper inside your ear. You'll have to use a smaller eartip than what you usually had on other IEM. What I ended up doing was using the smallest silicone tips and lace the inside with a butchered Westone True fit eartip:

IMG_20180907_195604.jpg

At then end the sound was spot on, clarity, details and BASS.

Update 11/09/2018:

Having used shure IEM for years now, I was so used to their form and fit, I would just put them in and get the seal and position just right. After having the Vega for 5 days now, I've noticed the fit is REALLY finicky. It's to be expected it's a completely new design for me, they are not uncomfortable at all but I've had to do extensive tip rolling and lots of wiggling to make them fit just right. I think I've nailed down the insertion now.

I'm beginning to miss how flush my Shure IEM fit on my ear. The Vega fit snugly with a good seal and isolation, but they protrude from my ear more than what I was used to before. I will continue experimenting, new toy, new games.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back