Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,876 of 5,394
Hey guys, after beating around the bush for way too long, I've finally ordered a pair of Vegas!

The ALO Ref8 cable is marketed as an upgrade cable for the Vegas, but I've owned it before, and found its ergonomics to be lacking (tangled easily and microphonic). Do you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance :)
Rumor has it the Triton8 Flagship Hybrid Cable is a great cable at a great price.

I, too, am uninterested in the ergonomics of the Ref8. I need a pliable cable, because I most certainly don't sit still while I'm listening to music. I put my cables and DAPs through their paces.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,877 of 5,394
Rumor has it the Triton8 Flagship Hybrid Cable is a great cable at a great price.

I, too, am uninterested in the ergonomics of the Ref8. I need a pliable cable, because I most certainly don't sit still while I'm listening to music. I put my cables and DAPs through their paces.

Nice! I'm actually located in Everett, and I hear David is local + his customer his service is top notch. You're the second person to recommend the Triton8 to me, so I'll probably get in contact with him soon :)

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,878 of 5,394
Nice! I'm actually located in Everett, and I hear David is local + his customer his service is top notch. You're the second person to recommend the Triton8 to me, so I'll probably get in contact with him soon :)
I haven't tried one yet, but definitely want one as soon as I get the Sony ZX-300. I'm down in Seattle, just east of downtown.

Ooooh.... hey, if you get one, can we meet so I can hear?

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #4,879 of 5,394
Hey guys, has it been confirmed by Ken or ALO that dorado has been discontinued? I saw a few posts some pages back but can't see any confirmation anywhere..

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #4,880 of 5,394
Hey guys, after beating around the bush for way too long, I've finally ordered a pair of Vegas!

The ALO Ref8 cable is marketed as an upgrade cable for the Vegas, but I've owned it before, and found its ergonomics to be lacking (tangled easily and microphonic). Do you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

From my recent experience with the cable that comes with the Vegas, switching from foam tips to the Spiral Dots increased the microphonics, so it may not be the cable. I find moving the choker up helps reduce this.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #4,881 of 5,394
Question?

What size Comply fit the Vegas? Is the inner bore just as large as the stock foam tips?

Also i tried the Spiral Dots on my Vegas and lost some bass. Maybe a seal issue even though the spiral dots i have work great with my RHA T20i.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #4,883 of 5,394

Check out the Ibasso CB13, great value cable. Think @ExpatinJapan may have reviewed it. I’ve got one to put on my Vega, still getting used to it on the supplied cable with the Ibasso DX90. Might swap it over tonight and switch over to the DX200 (amp 3) very pliable cable, not very microphonic considering it’s size.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4,884 of 5,394
Question?

What size Comply fit the Vegas? Is the inner bore just as large as the stock foam tips?

Also i tried the Spiral Dots on my Vegas and lost some bass. Maybe a seal issue even though the spiral dots i have work great with my RHA T20i.
I tried the mediums and large Comply fits and preferred the large ones. I liked the sound, but prefer the treble lift in the Spiral Dots. The foams collect a lot of dirt in my situation and wear down. For me, I found I can get more/less bass depending on how far I insert the IEMs.

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,885 of 5,394
Anybody tried the Vega with the LG G6 yet? Planning to buy one soon.

I tested the Vega on the V30, so keep in mind that if you have a US version of the G6 with the Snapdragon DAC rather than the ESS Sabre DAC then you can ignore everything I say.

The Vega sounds great out of the V30. It's crystal clear, with extended highs and strong, punchy sub-bass. Mids are neutral as you'd expect. The V30 has plenty of power to drive the V30 IF you do the trick where you plug in an aux cable or adapter first. If only using a normal 3.5mm cable, you'll be cranking up the volume a bit as the phone will be in "normal" gain mode. Has enough volume, but I like it with an adapter to kick in aux mode and then there is a lot of power with decent headroom. Given that the V30/G6 are somewhat bright sources, if you're already sensitive to the treble on the Vega then this may not be the best pairing, but I love the sparkly treble I get from it. It's actually pretty remarkable how bold the sound is that comes out of the phone/Vega combo given its size and convenience.

-Collin-

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #4,886 of 5,394
I tested the Vega on the V30, so keep in mind that if you have a US version of the G6 with the Snapdragon DAC rather than the ESS Sabre DAC then you can ignore everything I say.

The Vega sounds great out of the V30. It's crystal clear, with extended highs and strong, punchy sub-bass. Mids are neutral as you'd expect. The V30 has plenty of power to drive the V30 IF you do the trick where you plug in an aux cable or adapter first. If only using a normal 3.5mm cable, you'll be cranking up the volume a bit as the phone will be in "normal" gain mode. Has enough volume, but I like it with an adapter to kick in aux mode and then there is a lot of power with decent headroom. Given that the V30/G6 are somewhat bright sources, if you're already sensitive to the treble on the Vega then this may not be the best pairing, but I love the sparkly treble I get from it. It's actually pretty remarkable how bold the sound is that comes out of the phone/Vega combo given its size and convenience.

-Collin-

I have the Jupiter, it's just that I accidentally left it inside my pants when I did my laundry... Twice. Now there's a cracking noise whenever it's up to a certain volume. Had it for like a year and a half. Still sounds great, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I got the quad DAC G6. I'm taking care of my ears now, so I don't really put the volume all the way up, and it sounds pretty fine even around less than half of the max volume. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4,887 of 5,394

I have the Ref8 and just got the SXC 8. I too find the Ref8 to tangle easily, be microphonic and also uncomfortable with the Vega. With the SXC being a heavier cable it doesn't tangle, microphonics are minimal and I find they lay on my ears better than the Ref8 with the Vega. Also they do sound a bit clearer with better detail.

Highly recommended.

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #4,888 of 5,394
Burn in complete using the Ibasso DX90 and the supplied Litz cable.
Changed cable to the Ibasso CB13 (balanced)and fired up the DX200 with Amp 3, simply fantastic. The bass has tightened, but still kicks like a mule, mids not quite as forward as the treble and the whole package Sounds like a live performance in a small venue. They really get up close and personal :ksc75smile: Looking forward to some serious listening with this set up (well, until Amp 4 turns up)
4EC8AA37-4D39-459D-B4BA-5C7311BA4371.jpeg

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #4,889 of 5,394
@KEV G
Sorry it took a month to post this. It turns out I'm lazy. I see you've been playing around with your new addition in the meantime. Someone else asked me for a comparison between the Vega and Andromeda so I thought I'd share what I told him.

Re: Andromeda hiss
My current desktop amp in a Grace M9XX, and the Andromeda are pretty quiet with that. My work DAC is a Dragonfly black. I get a tiny amount of hiss, but at work the background noise covers it up even when no music is playing for the most part. I listen to it through a Pixel 2 phone at about 25% volume. I've read that the Andromeda can have no hiss at all with the iDSD Black Label depending on it's settings, and I've considered picking one up to use at work.

Comparison:
I found the Vega to be easier to put in and more comfortable. It is more generous with source. I tried both IEMs with a Shure Bluetooth cable I've got and the Vega sounded much closer to they way it sounds out of better sources than the Andromeda. The Vega also was more likely of the two to absolutely blow me away with some tracks. The problem though, is that other tracks just didn't sound right due to the bass quantity. I listened to a few electronic songs on the Vega that had so much bass that at normal volume it brought tears to my eyes. Astrix: Alien Turned Human comes to mind. This is awesome sometimes, but can be fatiguing at other times. I loved the way drums feel like you are right there next to them. I primarily listen to progressive metal though, and there were too many songs where I thought, "That doesn't sound right."

The Andromeda are a little more fidgety due to their bulk and nozzle angle, and there can be some hiss, but I haven't found a song yet where they didn't sound great. They keep up well with the music I listen to and generally sound good with everything. I haven't played around with changing the output impedance, e.g. iFi iEMatch. I understand that affects the bass quantity with lower output impedance giving you more bass. Both of my sources have a low output, and the bass quantity is still what I would consider boosted over flat. I thought I was a basshead until the Vega made me question my life as an FYI.

TLDR: While the Vega could blow me away, it could also disappoint. The Andromeda doesn't do that.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #4,890 of 5,394
@KEV G
Sorry it took a month to post this. It turns out I'm lazy. I see you've been playing around with your new addition in the meantime. Someone else asked me for a comparison between the Vega and Andromeda so I thought I'd share what I told him.

Re: Andromeda hiss
My current desktop amp in a Grace M9XX, and the Andromeda are pretty quiet with that. My work DAC is a Dragonfly black. I get a tiny amount of hiss, but at work the background noise covers it up even when no music is playing for the most part. I listen to it through a Pixel 2 phone at about 25% volume. I've read that the Andromeda can have no hiss at all with the iDSD Black Label depending on it's settings, and I've considered picking one up to use at work.

Comparison:
I found the Vega to be easier to put in and more comfortable. It is more generous with source. I tried both IEMs with a Shure Bluetooth cable I've got and the Vega sounded much closer to they way it sounds out of better sources than the Andromeda. The Vega also was more likely of the two to absolutely blow me away with some tracks. The problem though, is that other tracks just didn't sound right due to the bass quantity. I listened to a few electronic songs on the Vega that had so much bass that at normal volume it brought tears to my eyes. Astrix: Alien Turned Human comes to mind. This is awesome sometimes, but can be fatiguing at other times. I loved the way drums feel like you are right there next to them. I primarily listen to progressive metal though, and there were too many songs where I thought, "That doesn't sound right."

The Andromeda are a little more fidgety due to their bulk and nozzle angle, and there can be some hiss, but I haven't found a song yet where they didn't sound great. They keep up well with the music I listen to and generally sound good with everything. I haven't played around with changing the output impedance, e.g. iFi iEMatch. I understand that affects the bass quantity with lower output impedance giving you more bass. Both of my sources have a low output, and the bass quantity is still what I would consider boosted over flat. I thought I was a basshead until the Vega made me question my life as an FYI.

TLDR: While the Vega could blow me away, it could also disappoint. The Andromeda doesn't do that.
Totally agree with you, I’ve noticed also that if a recording is sibilant, with the Andromeda it’s not too noticeable but with the Vega it’s much more prominent.
If I listen to Beth Hart, the sibilance is pretty bad, but if I listen to any of Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa the sibilance is almost non existent.... think she should use Joe Bonamassa’s studio eh. Loving the Vega and the Andromeda’s ability to be great at everything. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back