Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,201 of 5,394
So you like the RHA dual density silicone tips as well? They are the best I've found so far actually.I'll have to try that little trick with the yarn to vent it as the only problem I have is getting a good seal without creating a vacuum.
Is RHA Dual Density the tips I have in my photos? Then, yes. I used to really like the dual-flange silicone, but they my ear canals itchy/tickly.

So... STORYTIME!

Last night, I went to see the Goldfrapp - Silver Eye concert. Small venue that holds about 1,000. Got there early enough to find a place to stand that got the best sound experience. That woman... just wow. Tiny little person with such a command of so much huge, enormous sound. I bought my Vega specifically because of her music. It's inconceivably more amazing live, and I'm glad to have the Vega to hear it any time I want.

After the concert, I was taken to a nightclub called Q. Some special event thing. I haven't gone to nightclubs in forever, because I hate the people and I hate the music. This?... OMG. Apparently, this place is one of America's top 10 nightclubs for sound quality. I've never heard such clear, distortion-free sound before. It was the audio experience I've been looking to have for 20 years, but never knew actually existed. Base cabinets built into the floor. The sound was felt in every conceivable way... with full vibrations throughout the chest cavity. Definitely going to go back when they have artistic DJs.

This was the lady playing last night. I'm very curious to see what you Vega/Lyra II owners think of both the complete clarity & detail to her sound, while also having that Vega punch.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #4,203 of 5,394
IMG_6853.JPG

Campfire Audio Lyra ii. I haven't listened to them for a while and took them out today.

Maybe I will have to write a new review. Quite the sleeper hit.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,204 of 5,394
I purchased the Lyra 2 about 6 months ago to use with my ak300 and I am amazed at how good they sound-
How good they are actually surprised me, I also own the Hifiman he1000 and to be honest the performance is very very close - considering the Lyra 2 is about a third of the price I think that’s some achievement

The question I have is should I invest in the balanced cable for the Lyra 2. Will it bring about a big enough improvement to justify the cost

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,205 of 5,394
I purchased the Lyra 2 about 6 months ago to use with my ak300 and I am amazed at how good they sound-
How good they are actually surprised me, I also own the Hifiman he1000 and to be honest the performance is very very close - considering the Lyra 2 is about a third of the price I think that’s some achievement

The question I have is should I invest in the balanced cable for the Lyra 2. Will it bring about a big enough improvement to justify the cost

I use my L2 with a 4 core SPC cable from AliExpress, was about $30. I enjoy it over the stock cable bc it doesn't have the stupid wire in the ear hook & the balanced output of the Opus#1 has an increased performance.

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,206 of 5,394
My apologies but I don’t quite understand your reply . Are you saying a £30 balanced cable improve the sound quality on your lyra 2 ?

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #4,207 of 5,394
My apologies but I don’t quite understand your reply . Are you saying a £30 balanced cable improve the sound quality on your lyra 2 ?
Sorry, yes, my balanced cable is a Silver Plated Copper (SPC) 4 Core cable from a Chinese site AliExpress. My Opus#1 balanced output is better than the SE and I noticed an improvement in sound going balanced with my Lyra II, if you already have a balanced output a cable for it is not that expensive.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #4,208 of 5,394
Hello, I have too few posts to place a WTB ad. Am looking for an excellent condition set of Dorado's for sale.

Thanks!

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #4,209 of 5,394
LCD4-4142933.png
Equalising CA Vega?

I have been listening to CA Lyra2 and Vega for some time now, and have been a bit unhappy when comparing against both Audeze LCD4 and LCDi4. Two days ago I received the personalised frequency plot of LCD4 and tried to equalise CA Vega against the latter. Vega frequency response I took from a Vega review from head-fi. Does somebody have experience about this and some views? Input would be highly valued.

More concretely:
a) Did somebody anything similar and what are the respective adjustments
b) Is the frequency response of Vega reasonable
c) Re A&K 240: does somebody have a clue how the equaliser is calibrated,

Below what I did: (Reference 0 @ 1000Hz)

Frequency LCD 4 Vega Delta(Corr Vega)
Hz dB dB dB
30 94 10 -10
42 94 10 -10
60 ditto
84 ditto
119 ditto
167 ditto
236 94 6 -6
332 94 5 -5
469 94 2 -2
661 94 0 0
932 ditto
1314 ditto
1852 90 0 -4
2612 80 -20 6
3683 80 -20 6
5193 80 -20 6
7322 86 -2 -6
10324 88 -10 4
14557 88 -20 14
20525 88 -20 14

The outcome is actually very pleasing. I guess the most remarkable changes are frequencies 332, 469 and in paticular 1.8k and 2.6k Hz.

Attachments

• veagvslcd4.pdf
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #4,210 of 5,394
I got my little brother a Lyra2 a couple of months ago. I didn't get to spend that much time with it, but the little time I had was a great experience. I have an EE Zeus XRA for myself and while I don't think the Lyra2 comes anywhere near in resolution or sound stage, I was able to really enjoy the sound sig of the Lyra. I just get a nice relaxed feeling while listening that I found as a pleasant change. I really want to try the Vega someday, from what I've been reading that seems like it'd have a very different sound signature than my Zeus.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #4,211 of 5,394
I got my little brother a Lyra2 a couple of months ago. I didn't get to spend that much time with it, but the little time I had was a great experience. I have an EE Zeus XRA for myself and while I don't think the Lyra2 comes anywhere near in resolution or sound stage, I was able to really enjoy the sound sig of the Lyra. I just get a nice relaxed feeling while listening that I found as a pleasant change. I really want to try the Vega someday, from what I've been reading that seems like it'd have a very different sound signature than my Zeus.
Come to Seattle. I love to share.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #4,212 of 5,394
Ahh! I was Seattle for a couple of days in April for the Radiohead concert! I was born in Spokane and might go visit some family there soon, if I get a chance to go to Seattle from there I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you. I was considering making a trip to Portland to hopefully visit ALO/campfire and get a chance to demo all of their iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back