Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #4,186 of 5,394
The spiral dots do brighten the sound up (or rather, just dont attenuate the trebles like foams or narrow bore tips). But in my mind that was actually not really a bad thing as the vegas are already so warm and bassy. Kind of balanced them out a bit for me. And comfort is best. Though, if you do want a thicker sound, try spinfits, I found I could get a good seal with less pressure build up, and they definitely are thicker sounding that spiral dots which do brighten things up a bit.
Thanks for that info. Spinfits are definitely not option. They provide the hardest vacuum seal of all that I have. The Symbios aren't bad, once they're warmed up. I took them out for a few hours to work with a client. Had been going well. When putting them back in, the right just keep sealing. Screw that. I put them away for now. :p

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #4,187 of 5,394
Thanks for that info. Spinfits are definitely not option. They provide the hardest vacuum seal of all that I have. The Symbios aren't bad, once they're warmed up. I took them out for a few hours to work with a client. Had been going well. When putting them back in, the right just keep sealing. Screw that. I put them away for now. :p

If you can get hold of them, Kombi tips from Trinity Audio are worth a try. Silicone tips with a layer of foam (not rubber) on the inside - they play quite nicely with the Vega from experience.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #4,188 of 5,394
If you can get hold of them, Kombi tips from Trinity Audio are worth a try. Silicone tips with a layer of foam (not rubber) on the inside - they play quite nicely with the Vega from experience.
I'll have to try them on the Lyra. I don't care for them in general but their foam put in Spiral Dots works great

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #4,189 of 5,394
I tried a few different threads. Found a cotton denim that appears to allow the air to pass through slowly, but without compressing itself down too much. Nice thing about the strands is that they're easier to put through the tip, place into nozzle, trim end close to tip, pull on other then to get excess away from mesh, then trim outside tail. I can reposition my right ear w/ only 2sec of decreased audio, rather than zero audio until I even the pressure.

Thanks for the tips! (pun intended?)

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,190 of 5,394
I tried a few different threads. Found a cotton denim that appears to allow the air to pass through slowly, but without compressing itself down too much. Nice thing about the strands is that they're easier to put through the tip, place into nozzle, trim end close to tip, pull on other then to get excess away from mesh, then trim outside tail. I can reposition my right ear w/ only 2sec of decreased audio, rather than zero audio until I even the pressure.

Thanks for the tips! (pun intended?)

The denim (3 strands) suggestion works perfect with the stock (M) silicone tips. I no longer think that I've potentially deafened myself when inserting the Vega into my ears...

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,192 of 5,394
The denim (3 strands) suggestion works perfect with the stock (M) silicone tips. I no longer think that I've potentially deafened myself when inserting the Vega into my ears...
This technique, which is much easier than cutting up other objects, has finally opened up tip rolling for me.

The Medium Symbios do cause fatigue in my ear canals. So, now I'm onto the stock silicone tips provided by RHA. May try Spinfits next, though their bore is awfully narrow compared to Vega's nozzle. That's where I think the RHA tips are going to be nice. Wider bore. Woohoo!

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,193 of 5,394
Ok, for me... the verdict is in. RHA stock silicone tips (very much like Spinfit), using cotton yarn to vent. Since I can't do foam, this is the best sound I've gotten so far. So happy to have a tip that sounds great, fits well, and doesn't irritate my ear canals.

If anyone is curious, I can take some photos of the thread process to show just how clean it is and unobstructive.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #4,194 of 5,394
Yeah that would be cool, because I haven't had a clue as to what you have been talking about lol

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4,195 of 5,394
Yeah that would be cool, because I haven't had a clue as to what you have been talking about lol
Here ya go.

The "thread" I used is called Rowan Denim. It's just a cotton that I happened to have on hand. I feel like the air vents through the fiber itself, rather than through any gaps. This may contribute to less sound degradation. With these RHA tips, I'm getting the same sound I was getting with the stock foamies.

37060100916_ceb5f630bb_k_d.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #4,197 of 5,394
Just listened to mine with the comply T400 tips for the first time. These are slightly less bassy than the stock tips but the midbass doesn't bleed into the mids so much so the overall sound is better. I think the comply tips probably supress the upper mids and treble and give the Vega a darker tilt too, maybe because the inner channel of the tip is flexible instead of the rigid tubes on the stock foams.

Comfort is about 10x better. I can wear comply T400's indefinitely at full insertion depth. I can only last 15 minutes or so that way with the stock foam. The comply is the best compromise out the tips I've tried so far (spiral dot, spinfit, stock foam, stock silicon).

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,198 of 5,394
Just listened to mine with the comply T400 tips for the first time. These are slightly less bassy than the stock tips but the midbass doesn't bleed into the mids so much so the overall sound is better. I think the comply tips probably supress the upper mids and treble and give the Vega a darker tilt too, maybe because the inner channel of the tip is flexible instead of the rigid tubes on the stock foams.

Comfort is about 10x better. I can wear comply T400's indefinitely at full insertion depth. I can only last 15 minutes or so that way with the stock foam. The comply is the best compromise out the tips I've tried so far (spiral dot, spinfit, stock foam, stock silicon).

If you haven't tried the T400 Isolation I found them to be much better fit for me but i had no issues with the stock foams other than the foam being a little on the hard side but could have been cause of the tube like you mentioned. The bullet shaped ones (Isolation/Sport) aren't meant to be fully inserted deep like you would a silicon if you can you've compressed them too much and will end up causing discomfort as the foam tries to regain normal shape or are using a size too small with near no compression and will fall out. About 1/2-5/8 of the foam end in the ear works well the other 1/2-3/8 on the outside ear canal. As for the comforts i hated the ball shape and couldn't get them to play nice, would sound good but not enough in ear to stay in place or isolate outside noise or wedged in the ear and would make the sound sound off and would no longer be comfortable. Anyone buying the T400 for the 1st time most defiantly pick up the variety pack in their size.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #4,199 of 5,394
If you haven't tried the T400 Isolation I found them to be much better fit for me but i had no issues with the stock foams other than the foam being a little on the hard side but could have been cause of the tube like you mentioned. The bullet shaped ones (Isolation/Sport) aren't meant to be fully inserted deep like you would a silicon if you can you've compressed them too much and will end up causing discomfort as the foam tries to regain normal shape or are using a size too small with near no compression and will fall out. About 1/2-5/8 of the foam end in the ear works well the other 1/2-3/8 on the outside ear canal. As for the comforts i hated the ball shape and couldn't get them to play nice, would sound good but not enough in ear to stay in place or isolate outside noise or wedged in the ear and would make the sound sound off and would no longer be comfortable. Anyone buying the T400 for the 1st time most defiantly pick up the variety pack in their size.

Yeah, I got a variety pack of the 400 size comply tips in medium size. It came with the sport, isolation, and comfort. So far I've only tried the isolation and they seem really good. I ordered some more of the medium isolations as well as some large isolations to experiment with.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4,200 of 5,394
Ok, for me... the verdict is in. RHA stock silicone tips (very much like Spinfit), using cotton yarn to vent. Since I can't do foam, this is the best sound I've gotten so far. So happy to have a tip that sounds great, fits well, and doesn't irritate my ear canals.

If anyone is curious, I can take some photos of the thread process to show just how clean it is and unobstructive.
So you like the RHA dual density silicone tips as well? They are the best I've found so far actually.I'll have to try that little trick with the yarn to vent it as the only problem I have is getting a good seal without creating a vacuum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back