Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #4,156 of 5,394
I've found even the Lyra IIs benefit from more power/higher quality amplification. They sound good directly plugged into my iPhone 6s or iPad Air. Sound even better plugged into my Sony ZX2 but really come alive when plugged into my Aurender Flow or Erzetich Bacilius Tilia desktop headphone amp. With the latter two the bass tightens up and the soundstage is bigger; they simply sound more like a full size headphone. So I can only imagine how the Vegas scale.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #4,157 of 5,394
Not sure if this is the thread I need as I'm really lost on this new (well... new to me) format. I just got the Vega and I've had it for a few weeks now. I really love it, but I ran into a problem. One of the medium foamies pretty much disintegrated in my ear, and those were the tips I found that fit best. looking for a bit of tip rolling advice from those who have had a bit more experience experimenting with tips than me. At the moment I'm just using some medium RHA dual-density silicon tips, but they don't seem to give a proper seal and require a lot of adjusting to get the best results. I feel like I'm constantly adjusting them in my ears just to listen, which is something that is definitely unacceptable to me. The provided tips (both spinfit and normal silicon) are worse. Any suggestions for a good seal that I don't have to work as hard for?
*Edit* Oh, and i forgot to add that my source is an Astell and Kern AK Jr. at the moment.
9999032_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #4,158 of 5,394
Not sure if this is the thread I need as I'm really lost on this new (well... new to me) format. I just got the Vega and I've had it for a few weeks now. I really love it, but I ran into a problem. One of the medium foamies pretty much disintegrated in my ear, and those were the tips I found that fit best. looking for a bit of tip rolling advice from those who have had a bit more experience experimenting with tips than me. At the moment I'm just using some medium RHA dual-density silicon tips, but they don't seem to give a proper seal and require a lot of adjusting to get the best results. I feel like I'm constantly adjusting them in my ears just to listen, which is something that is definitely unacceptable to me. The provided tips (both spinfit and normal silicon) are worse. Any suggestions for a good seal that I don't have to work as hard for?
*Edit* Oh, and i forgot to add that my source is an Astell and Kern AK Jr. at the moment.
9999032_thumb.jpg
Try the Mandarines Symbio Wide Bore
https://www.facebook.com/MandarinEsFoam/

Silicone outside, foam inside. Best seal you'll get. My favorite before these was also the campfire foams, both cause of fit and sound, but didn't wanna keep ordering them. Sound on these is similar plus more isolation and you don't need to keep reordering anywhere near as often.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #4,159 of 5,394
Try the Mandarines Symbio Wide Bore
https://www.facebook.com/MandarinEsFoam/

Silicone outside, foam inside. Best seal you'll get. My favorite before these was also the campfire foams, both cause of fit and sound, but didn't wanna keep ordering them. Sound on these is similar plus more isolation and you don't need to keep reordering anywhere near as often.
I've got a set of Symbios arriving any day now. Very excited to try. I love the CA foams. They sent me a handful of several different types to try. I freaking love the sound, but they cause some pretty serious irritation. Really hoping these hybrids do the trick.

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #4,160 of 5,394
Symbio I find tend to thin out treble and created too much seal with the Lyra II. KZ Starlines on AliExpress are great with the Lyra IMO. Waiting on ML Spiral Dots, Medium are a tad too small and L are too large.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,161 of 5,394
I've got the symbio wide bore and they are great all around tips. Size runs large so order a size down.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #4,162 of 5,394
I use the medium SpinFit tips with the Lyra IIs. They don't have the isolation of the foam tips but are extremely comfortable for me, sound good, and allow me to have the Lyra IIs in my ears for hours at a time with no discomfort. In fact Campfire recommended the SpinFit tips as their second choice after the foam tips when I emailed them.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,163 of 5,394
9999032_thumb.jpg
As the Vega is so small it can easily move around in your ear, unless you have a good (firm) fit with your tips.
Normally I have (M) Spiral Dot tips on my Andromeda and these also worked out fine with the Vega for me, when I had it on a loan.

The Mandarines Symbio wide bore tips also seem very interesting though :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4,164 of 5,394
I use the medium SpinFit tips with the Lyra IIs. They don't have the isolation of the foam tips but are extremely comfortable for me, sound good, and allow me to have the Lyra IIs in my ears for hours at a time with no discomfort. In fact Campfire recommended the SpinFit tips as their second choice after the foam tips when I emailed them.

They ship them with the Spin Fit. It would be weird if they didn't recommend them. Going to SF website though, they don't list CA as being a compatible brand LoL

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #4,166 of 5,394
I listened to my Vegas quite a bit on my last 2 week work trip. At one point I left them fully inserted (back of shell about flush with ear pinna) for about 6 hours with the stock foamies. It was pretty painful by the end.

What I found, is that if if insert them about half as far as that, just enough so that I can still just touch the back edge of the foam with my finger tip, I can wear them indefinitely with no discomfort. Does anyone else wear them like that? I don't find that pulling them back that much as an adverse effect on the sound. I still get a lot of bass and it might even out the sound a little bit.

A big problem is that when I try to go back to my full sized headphones, Aeon, Q701, even HD800, they sound "honky", brittle, no oomph. I find myself listening to the vega even at home now.

Here is a picture of how I wear them to go indefinitely without discomfort. Does anyone else wear them like this? It's a small foam on this ear, medium on the right.

vega.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,167 of 5,394
I personally just don't like the foamies in general and stick with Spiral Dots. I did however change out that cable. The memory wire has to be changed. It's terrible. The wire overall is great though of course. Using a simple $30 4 core SPC 2.5mm balanced cable from China, on my L2

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #4,168 of 5,394
I've never been a big fan of the foamies because of having to replace them and because they never last too long for me. I don't own the Vegas but I do own the Lyra IIs which I believe are similar in size to the Vegas. I use the medium SpinFit tips which provide all day comfort for me. Just my two cents worth on tips. JD from Campfire emailed me that both the Lyra IIs and Vegas are designed to scale well with better amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back