Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #4,141 of 5,394
I too have had problems with finding the right tips, right now I use Sony hybrids which are a mix of silicone and foam. I don't insert them very deep because the sound cuts out if I move my jaw.

I am still thinking of getting some custom tips but not so sure yet...

who makes customs for vega? definitely not sensaphonics.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #4,142 of 5,394
who makes customs for vega? definitely not sensaphonics.

Snugz in the UK and CustomArt in Poland will do it - I've got a set of custom silicon tips from CustomArt I use on the Vega regularly.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #4,143 of 5,394
Snugz in the UK and CustomArt in Poland will do it - I've got a set of custom silicon tips from CustomArt I use on the Vega regularly.

snugs won't actually:

IMG_2510.PNG

i'll check out CustomArt

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #4,144 of 5,394
Interesting - when I spoke to their guys at Canjam London they didn't have a template but just said I'd need to send mine to them - must have had one in and had issues with it since.

The custom art ones are good - put pics up in the thread a good few months back of mine.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,145 of 5,394
Does anyone know how the comply T400 tips compare to the sound of the stock campire foams? I ordered a variety pack of their smalls with the isolation/comfort/sport to try out. Also ordered some medium spiral dots.

I really like the campfire foam sound but after an hour or so they really start to irritate my ear canals, even with the small size, but especially in my left ear which is apparently pretty small.

I would estimate that I'm getting at least 5 db more bass below 200hz or so with the campfire foams vs spinfits. Spinfits are more comfortable but I really miss the bass. (all in reference to my Vega)

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4,146 of 5,394
Does anyone know how the comply T400 tips compare to the sound of the stock campire foams? I ordered a variety pack of their smalls with the isolation/comfort/sport to try out. Also ordered some medium spiral dots.

I've always been a big fan of Comply isolation tips for sound and comfort, and automatically ordered some when I got my Lyra 2's. But I was startled to find how much less rich, clear and contrasty they were vs the Campfire foamies. I'm at a loss to explain why, maybe the shape or the density, but I went back and forth a LOT of times to make sure it wasn't my imagination. So I ordered a big supply from Campfire, and I've been very happy.

FWIW, I also compared to Spinfits and other silicone tips, but I've always hated how they sound and (especially) feel, and this was no exception.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,147 of 5,394
Thanks, for me the CA foams are pretty comfortable for about 30 minutes then gradually become pretty painful after about an hour. If I just use the smalls, it's only my left ear that gets the pain. If I use a small left and medium right I get about equal pain on both sides. But I agree, the sound is the best. Maybe it's something my ears will get accustomed to over time. I generally insert them so that the bottom of the IEM is about 75% covered by the ear's targus.

The spinfits are mildy uncomfortable itchy, but don't seem to get worse over time. The bass is a lot less, I don't notice grainy treble as others have mentioned. The CA silicon was basically the same sounding as the spinfit but less comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,148 of 5,394
I've never been a huge fan of foam tips because you have to replace them and for me they lose their expandability after only a few uses. I tried the stock silicone tips with my Lyra IIs but they made the treble a tad too bright and splashy. I then emailed Campfire Audio and they told me they recommend the SpinFit tips after the foams. I settled on the medium SpinFit tips. For me anyways they offer the best combination of comfort and sound quality. With the SpinFit tips I can wear the Lyra IIs for hours at a time with no discomfort. But on the other hand I did not like the SpinFit tips with my Beyerdynamic Xelentos and greatly preferred the stock silicone tips. Just my two cents on the tip discussion.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,149 of 5,394

I really like the campfire foam sound but after an hour or so they really start to irritate my ear canals, even with the small size, but especially in my left ear which is apparently pretty small.

I would estimate that I'm getting at least 5 db more bass below 200hz or so with the campfire foams vs spinfits. Spinfits are more comfortable but I really miss the bass. (all in reference to my Vega)

I've been using my T400s for about two weeks now and the first thing I noticed was a difference in overall clarity in the mid-range. In fact, it sounds a bit more recessed than stock foams. Also, while the bass impact is just as strong, there is less control and can sound muddy depending on source. From a sound quality perspective, I would suggest going with stock tips. I know you are trying out the T400s for comfort reasons, but I have not noticed any difference in comfort level. Perhaps the size difference for the T400s will better suit you as they have a shorter profile than stock.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4,150 of 5,394
I wore the CA foams for 6 hour straight yesterday. I think I was just trying to insert them too deep, like an etymotic, all the way in. It just gets painful after half an hour or so.

What I found is that if I just insert them just far enough that I can still barely touch the back edge of the foam with one finger (maybe 1/16th inch of foam sticking out of ear canal), I get good sound and isolation and no/very little pain. If I try to put them in all the way so that the entire IEM is just about inside the pinna, I get pain. It's not a huge difference in depth, probably only 1/4" or so, but it makes a lot of difference comfort-wise. My problem was I was trying to completely submerge the foams within the ear canal, I don't know if they were designed to go that far but it doesn't work for me.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #4,152 of 5,394
Finally getting my first CA. Lyra II ordered off eBay this morning. Can't wait.

I believe I read that the CA brand foams are different than Comply and don't kill the treble?

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,153 of 5,394
Got my Lyra II today...only listened about an hour. So far I'm really enjoying it. Funny thing is, best tips so far are my KZ Starlines. $1 tip on a $700 IEM. The memory wire does suck but pending sound I may be going to my VE balanced cable anyways

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,154 of 5,394
I just got the amp3 (high swing voltage +/-8V amp card, balanced) for the DX200 and I have to say, the Vega really do like power by far the best DX200 amp for the Vega. Bass are tighter and I get extra extension, overall they also open up because of it (that and a tad better soundstage compared to amp1)... it won't turn the Vega into a reference sig but it brings the medium up and tames the bass, also get a tad more extension treble wise. If you have a DX200, in my opinion the best amp worth owning for the Vega.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #4,155 of 5,394
I just got the amp3 (high swing voltage +/-8V amp card, balanced) for the DX200 and I have to say, the Vega really do like power by far the best DX200 amp for the Vega. Bass are tighter and I get extra extension, overall they also open up because of it (that and a tad better soundstage compared to amp1)... it won't turn the Vega into a reference sig but it brings the medium up and tames the bass, also get a tad more extension treble wise. If you have a DX200, in my opinion the best amp worth owning for the Vega.
Fully agree. I also think it improves in imaging and separation.

I just got a DHC Symbiote V3 cable yesterday and it helps even more paired with DX200 and AMP 3... better clarity and a more cohesive 3D image. Doesn't decrease width but it does make the dimensions more proportional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back