Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #3,886 of 5,394
I don't know. I haven't heard Vega. I'd love to, though. If it has the bass of Dorado, but clearer and more detailed, that would be my ideal earphone.
Very surprised you haven't heard the Vega, from what I gather from your reviews and descriptions of your preferences you should definitely try to get your hands on them!

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,887 of 5,394
Looking for an earphone that is bass heavy. I have analytical earphones and several multi-ba earphones but now I want a basshead earphone. I noticed massdrop has the Lyra II right now. Does it satisfy the bassheads around here or will it just leave me wanting the Vega?

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,888 of 5,394
Looking for an earphone that is bass heavy. I have analytical earphones and several multi-ba earphones but now I want a basshead earphone. I noticed massdrop has the Lyra II right now. Does it satisfy the bassheads around here or will it just leave me wanting the Vega?
Never heard Lyra II, but Vega is a basshead's wet dream.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,889 of 5,394
The Lyra IIs have strong bass but I wouldn't categorize them as a basshead IEM. I only listened to the Vegas briefly at Axpona 2017 and my recollection is they have slightly stronger bass than the Lyra IIs and a more forward sound overall so they are not as relaxed sounding as the Lyra IIs. FYI I own the Lyra IIs and love them so much so I re-purchased them after selling them on this site. The Lyra IIs relaxed sound and great comfort are hard to top for me but I'm sure the Vegas are great too so can't go wrong with either. From the comments I read the Vegas sound more dynamic and pull you into the music more than the Lyra IIs.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,891 of 5,394
Jun 13, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,893 of 5,394
I don't know. I haven't heard Vega. I'd love to, though. If it has the bass of Dorado, but clearer and more detailed, that would be my ideal earphone.

For me, the Vega actually felt like it had a tad less bass than the Dorado. I think that is due to the tuning in the mid range, with the Vega being more forward in the lower and upper mids so not emphasising that booming bottom end quite so much.

In terms of clarity and detail, the Vega does feel a notch up through the bass and mids, so sounds like it would be right up your street. Treble is less airy on the Vega but a little weightier, which I actually prefer.

As always, there are just my observations so YMMV and all that jazz! :wink:

Great review, by the way.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #3,894 of 5,394
Well fellas, I just had a 4hr listening/auditioning session with various iems/headphones, namely sennheiser ie800, iSine 10 & 20, 64audio U8, A&K t8ie, Campfire Lyra ii, Dorado, Vega and Fostex th900mk2. All were tested first through Oppo ha-2, and then through A&k240 into chord mojo. In the end, it came down to two, the Dorado and the Vega. The difference between the two was soooo tiny, it was almost impossible for me to pick one over another. However there were a couple of differences. The bass on the Vega was a tad more (really a hair more honestly), but I found that Dorado were a bit more smoother/forgiving in the treble range, where at times, Vegas became harsh and sibilant. Although, I must say that changing from the silicon to comply foam tips did improve the sound on Vega. I normally eq my sound anyway, so I could adjust the sound signature to my liking. Lyra ii's bass however, when compared to the Dorado and Vega, sounded soft/looser and somewhat muffled in comparison. Vega's treble is definitely sharper than Dorado, very unforgiving of poor quality source. 64audio U8 also sounded good, but in the time that I had, I could not get a good enough seal with those, plus they are substantially bigger than Dorado and Vega. Same with ie800, could not get those tiny iems to fit inside my ears, plus the bass was unimpressive compared to the campfires.

Onto the iSines. When I first got there I immediately changed from my ie80 to iSine20 and immediately noticed the better bass (quality, not so much in quantity), and put them aside (thought i'd definitely buy 'em). Then I went onto the Dorado and the Vega and was immediately blown away. I then put back the iSine20 on and they sounded so flat in comparison that I just could not believe. I immediately returned them to the shop owner as I definitely was not going to spend money on them. They have a unique sized nozzle so I couldn't use the regular tips which was inconvenient. Plus they just hang outside the ear and it felt as if they were just floating there, but it wasn't a good feeling for me personally. It could be that they need a higher powered/quality source than what I had at the time, so take these impressions with a few grains of salt. The t8ie didn't impress me either. Really small iems, proprietary nozzle design, shallow tips. Could not get a great fit, didn't like the sound personally.

Ended up buying the vega. Why? Well I like the silver colored Vega more than the Rose goldish Dorado :-D. Bass was a lil bit more un eq'd, and treble I can always adjust with eq, plus I wanted the totl. OCD I guess.

Hope someone finds this information useful..

Regards,

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,896 of 5,394
I then put back the iSine20 on and they sounded so flat in comparison that I just could not believe... It could be that they need a higher powered/quality source than what I had at the time

Taking it you don't have an iDevice? Word in the iSine thread is the Cipher is the way to go, the tuning is just off otherwise.

Did you steer clear of the Andromedas thinking they may lack bass? They're still north or neutral and feel solid down low. I like the Vega quite a bit but will be selling them in favor of keeping my Andromedas. The bass is super seductive but ultimately I like a more neutral presentation w/ a bit more sparkle and air.

What will I be doing w/ the funds from the Vega? Very curious about the i4... toying w/ purchasing a used iSine 20 w/ cipher just to see if I can get along w/ the basic design and total lack of isolation.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,897 of 5,394
@bobeau Regarding the cipher eq. If you are just referring to the eq curve without any dsp, then like I mentioned, I had my eq and after eq I could drastically shift the tonal balance. That was not the issue, infact I can do that with any iem. I did not find the tuning off, rather it felt dull or laid back is probably the right word compared to the more energetic dorado and vega. Could be the source too, I'll give you that.

As to why I didn't check jupiter, andromeda.. hmm i don't know.. I just went straight for the highest end ones because I was looking for maximum wow factor compared to my ie80. I don't like neutral presentations to be honest. Also didn't want multiple drivers and crossovers, no matter how good. Just a personal preference.

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,898 of 5,394
@amader7 - The Andromeda and Vega actually the co-flagships... the Dorados are newer though. The Andromedas are neutral in comparison to the DD Camfire IEMs, but they're not really a neutral IEM in hifi terms, having a good boost in the low end of some 5db or so.

Didn't see the mention about EQ - some report EQ'ing the iSines even going off what Audeze claims are the alterations from the Cipher cable and still find the Cipher preferable.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,900 of 5,394
My new cable arrived for my Vega last night and I've been giving it a good run-in; initial impressions are outstanding. I went with an 8-braid of pure copper and pure silver (4 wires each) and it is not only beautiful, but sounds awesome. There is a noticeable improvement over my pure copper Beat Audio in the low end as well as high end. Bass quantity is about the same (maybe slightly more earth-shattering), but it's much more controlled and I can hear individual bass notes much more clearly than before. The highs are more noticeable in clarity and while the cable is a bit brighter, this is a welcome improvement in the Vega. Seriously I could not be happier with these IEMs paired with this nice cable. If anyone is interested, this cable is the "Triton8" by @alpha421 (he is the craftsman behind it).

20170615_094130 (Large).jpg 20170615_094144 (Large).jpg 20170615_094215 (Large).jpg

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back