Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 25, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,911 of 5,394
I believe someone earlier in the thread said they had ACS custom sleeves that fit the Vega, though they weren't originally made for it. You may wanna search the thread to find it. Maybe back a few weeks ago.

That was probably myself, happy that my old acs sleeves for IE8 fit the Vega. However they are 5 years old and they don't fit my ears that great anymore...

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,912 of 5,394
That was probably myself, happy that my old acs sleeves for IE8 fit the Vega. However they are 5 years old and they don't fit my ears that great anymore...

Hah, well in that case, please ignore. Unfortunately don't know if there are other better options available.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #2,913 of 5,394

I contacted Snugs in the UK and they seemed keen to work with me to design a sleeve for the Vega but haven't heard from them for a while...

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,914 of 5,394
Seamon's Vegas are waiting for me in the mail truck across the street, looking forward to first listen.

That said, was curious what happened with the sibilance talk from back in Dec (James/et al., some head-fiers I really respect, which initially turned me off).  I'm hoping it's nothing like it was the GR07 I had many years ago, which I enjoyed but was certainly an acquired taste.  I'll be running it out of the Mojo and would prefer to not use foamies.  I've been using the Andromedas for a couple months now and enjoy them quite a bit, don't find them fatiguing in the least.

Again, IMHO, but those issues were pre-burn in and with poor recrordings. No issues now for me. Cheers

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #2,915 of 5,394
I contacted Snugs in the UK and they seemed keen to work with me to design a sleeve for the Vega but haven't heard from them for a while...

Have ordered a set of custom tips from Custom Art in Poland as part of a CIEM reshell I am doing with them - waiting to hear if there will be any issues or if they can make a tip for the Vega.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,916 of 5,394

Seamon's Vegas are waiting for me in the mail truck across the street, looking forward to first listen.

That said, was curious what happened with the sibilance talk from back in Dec (James/et al., some head-fiers I really respect, which initially turned me off).  I'm hoping it's nothing like it was the GR07 I had many years ago, which I enjoyed but was certainly an acquired taste.  I'll be running it out of the Mojo and would prefer to not use foamies.  I've been using the Andromedas for a couple months now and enjoy them quite a bit, don't find them fatiguing in the least.

Again, IMHO, but those issues were pre-burn in and with poor recrordings. No issues now for me. Cheers

... and also due to a poor selection of eartips which can affect the sound.  For example, I found wide-bore opening tips to bring up the intensity of upper frequencies, while narrow bore (like SpinFits, included with VEGA) to balance out the sound, keeping upper frequencies under control (also, Comply works great).  Of course, we can also take into consideration the anatomy of our ear where the earcanal is a sound "filter" on its own and can't be changed.  Sometimes when I read people using the same source (DAP and the song) and the same eartips, and they hear sibilance while I don't (and I'm very sensitive to sibilance) - the only explanation I have is the difference in our ear anatomy.  Otherwise, I'm puzzled
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,917 of 5,394
Have ordered a set of custom tips from Custom Art in Poland as part of a CIEM reshell I am doing with them - waiting to hear if there will be any issues or if they can make a tip for the Vega.

Hope that works out. Let them know that if they manage to pull it off there's at least one more client waiting!

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,918 of 5,394

... and also due to a poor selection of eartips which can affect the sound.  For example, I found wide-bore opening tips to bring up the intensity of upper frequencies, while narrow bore (like SpinFits, included with VEGA) to balance out the sound, keeping upper frequencies under control (also, Comply works great).  Of course, we can also take into consideration the anatomy of our ear where the earcanal is a sound "filter" on its own and can't be changed.  Sometimes when I read people using the same source (DAP and the song) and the same eartips, and they hear sibilance while I don't (and I'm very sensitive to sibilance) - the only explanation I have is the difference in our ear anatomy.  Otherwise, I'm puzzled
biggrin.gif

After listening to these for a few hours this is what I'm finding.  Initially used the short/wide bore gel tips (I use these w/ the Andromedas) and was finding sibilance with female voices primarily.  Switched to the spinfits and this went away - mostly, it's riding that edge for me.  

One other thing to note for me is these actually sounded pretty poor with the short/wide bore - they were boomy/too thick, which appears to be a product of insertion depth (ie. it I try to shove the spinfits in they start doing this for me as well).

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,919 of 5,394

Hope that works out. Let them know that if they manage to pull it off there's at least one more client waiting!

And another here!

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,920 of 5,394

Just talked to a Custom Art rep regarding cutom tips for the Vegas and was told it shouldn't be a problem to make at all since the Vega nozzle is the standard TX400 size of comply tips. Woot! Now I have an excuse to get impressions made and sent to them. cough cough custom art ei.3 in the future cough cough

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,921 of 5,394

Initial impressions w/ ~50 hours (according to seamon) is I can see what they were getting at.  As noted above the eartip selection ameliorates it pretty significantly.  I'll continue to burn them in.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,922 of 5,394
Initial impressions w/ ~50 hours (according to seamon) is I can see what they were getting at.  As noted above the eartip selection ameliorates it pretty significantly.  I'll continue to burn them in.

The Campfire own-brand foams give the best sound for me on the Vega - hits the sweet spot with clarity and comfort over the other silicon tips I've tried.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,923 of 5,394
The Campfire own-brand foams give the best sound for me on the Vega - hits the sweet spot with clarity and comfort over the other silicon tips I've tried.

I do love them as well and alternate with the Ortofon or the RHA dual density.
I find those two are pretty good with the Vega, at least they fit me great.

My latest finding thanks to @Headpie is the mandarinEs hybrid, I have M on order as the L is untypically too big for me (I would get deeper insertion with the M) but they look pretty promising great isolation (very dense foam) and better seal than the CFA foams.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,924 of 5,394

I've tried them, but not a big fan - not a fan of foamies in general.  Hard to insert in such a way that they don't work their way out of my ears after 15 minutes or so.  I am liking the spinfits quite a bit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back