Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 2, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #811 of 5,394

i personally feel andromeda layering and holographic imaging is better. vega dont even come close to the andromeda except for the bass response

I agree that the Andromeda has more layering and holographic imaging, plus a wider soundstage. However, it's not like the Vega is some muddy mess. Instruments are clearly delineated, there's great coherency due to the single drivers, and yes the bass is superior. Additionally I would argue that the tone and timbre of the Vega is also a highlight, and while not necessarily superior to the Andromeda, is certainly its equal. It's about what sound you prefer.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #812 of 5,394

I agree that the Andromeda has more layering and holographic imaging, plus a wider soundstage. However, it's not like the Vega is some muddy mess. Instruments are clearly delineated, there's great coherency due to the single drivers, and yes the bass is superior. Additionally I would argue that the tone and timbre of the Vega is also a highlight, and while not necessarily superior to the Andromeda, is certainly its equal. It's about what sound you prefer.

Which one would be better for someone who listens to alot of metal?

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #813 of 5,394

Which one would be better for someone who listens to alot of metal?

Well, good question. The Vega's low end and incredible mids will give you great chunky guitar bite and you'll hear and feel those double bass drums like nobody's business. If you listen to modern growly metal, the vocals will also come into the low mids and will sound hefty and full. The powerful bass will also give the whole thing a visceral feel that a lot of people crave for metal. The diamond drivers in the Vega are very fast and will keep up with complicated and fast passages.

The Andromeda will give you better highs, so more guitar wailing on the high end, and if you listen to Rob Halford/King Diamond styles of vocals, they'll creep into the lower highs so the Andromeda and will really sparkle.

So it's probably a toss up, a lot of people love the Andros for rock and its assorted subgenres. Personally I'd probably go with the Vega because they will give you a real visceral feel to the music.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #814 of 5,394
Heads up for those interrested, just got word my order won't ship before the end of next week, Vega is backordered which is not clear at all on the shop btw

With luck I'll get it for my birthday :p
Please customs, please...

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #816 of 5,394
It is now indeed but wasn't when I ordered, I arrived too late :p

Probably missed it by minutes or a couple of hours, as there was no shipping delay indicated...

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #817 of 5,394
Well, good question. The Vega's low end and incredible mids will give you great chunky guitar bite and you'll hear and feel those double bass drums like nobody's business. If you listen to modern growly metal, the vocals will also come into the low mids and will sound hefty and full. The powerful bass will also give the whole thing a visceral feel that a lot of people crave for metal. The diamond drivers in the Vega are very fast and will keep up with complicated and fast passages.

The Andromeda will give you better highs, so more guitar wailing on the high end, and if you listen to Rob Halford/King Diamond styles of vocals, they'll creep into the lower highs so the Andromeda and will really sparkle.

So it's probably a toss up, a lot of people love the Andros for rock and its assorted subgenres. Personally I'd probably go with the Vega because they will give you a real visceral feel to the music.

Well, here's a sampling of my tastes:
https://open.spotify.com/user/tpggle/playlist/2KXc9aVAj7lALbQRtN8ljw

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #818 of 5,394
Anyone compared ALO SXC 24 vs Reference 8 upgrade cable on Vega, which one is better for Vega? I want some improvements on soundstage and separation, also better balance between bass and treble. Thanks

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #819 of 5,394
  Heads up for those interrested, just got word my order won't ship before the end of next week, Vega is backordered which is not clear at all on the shop btw

With luck I'll get it for my birthday :p
Please customs, please...

My order has been "processing" for six days even though my payment posted to them four days ago. They told me yesterday that they're hoping to ship them by the end of this week. 

That's too bad.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #820 of 5,394
Airy for me in this instance regarding the Vega could be more correctly interpreted as clear, not congested, excellent clarity.
Not airy in the sense that my JOMO 6R is airy in that it lacks a bit of overall weight and low end strength.

Vega does have superb instrument separation.
It is also full or dense (thanks Merrick) but also has a subtlety with it.

An effortless brilliance, a high level of coherency.

Sometimes airiness can be interpreted as a lack of power or even dynamics but with the Vega this is not the case.

Exquisite.

Thanks for the excellent IEM comparisons. I recently auditioned the 6R and I heard the “airy” signature as per the above. Ref.: “Persephone” – 1984 Treasure (Flac) by Cocteau Twins.
This has been my reference for treble resolution, the bass from the 846s I very recently auditioned. The voices I'm quite satisfied with my humble Westones.
I am however going to refer to the “3D Holographic” you previously mentioned.
My 3D description would be Via:
 Beyerdynamic T5p II powered by Woo audio LE6. Ref.: “Hotel California” – 1994 Hell freezes
over (24 bit) by The Eagles.
I’m really torn between the Andros’ and the Vegas’. I would like to revisit my 3d experience in a very portable way.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #821 of 5,394
Thanks for the excellent IEM comparisons. I recently auditioned the 6R and I heard the “airy” signature as per the above. Ref.: “Persephone” – 1984 Treasure (Flac) by Cocteau Twins.
This has been my reference for treble resolution, the bass from the 846s I very recently auditioned. The voices I'm quite satisfied with my humble Westones.
I am however going to refer to the “3D Holographic” you previously mentioned.
My 3D description would be Via:
 Beyerdynamic T5p II powered by Woo audio LE6. Ref.: “Hotel California” – 1994 Hell freezes
over (24 bit) by The Eagles.
I’m really torn between the Andros’ and the Vegas’. I would like to revisit my 3d experience in a very portable way.
Thanks in advance.

Have you listened to the Live Millennium Concert version?

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #822 of 5,394

This.

I think that preference plays a huge part here. I just auditioned the Andromeda, Lyra II and Vega.

I don't think that the Vega has any significant qualities that jump out at you upon first listen, apart from the heftiness of bass. With critical listening however, the Vegas begin to shine. It's perhaps the first IEM I've heard so far where the bloominess of bass doesn't add any veil to the midrange. Quite peculiar. Sense of space is also top-notch, not in the traditional airiness and enormous stage sense, but in terms of excellent layering, separation and imaging. I also feel that the instrument timbre of the Vega is superb, much in line with the rest of their lineup.

Many IEMs are designed/tuned in a way that leave a strong first impression (wow-factor?) due to a particular aspect of its sound signature. Sustainability of this impression notwithstanding, it often doesn't correlate to the technical competency of the IEM as a whole. 'Holistic' evaluation is key, instead of surgically dissecting and isolating each particular trait sonic trait, classifying them under some ranking system. The CA Vega is IMO one such IEM that examplifies this. Bass aside, it does a number of things subtly very well.

That being said, the signature of the Andromeda appeals the most to me, and would no doubt be my choice if I decided to go for a pair of expensive IEMs. Vega had some HF peaks that didn't tickle my fancy. Overall bass was also a little too much for my tastes. As mentioned -- a matter of preference.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #823 of 5,394
Have you listened to the Live Millennium Concert version?

Yes, Do you have anything you might want to add to my query?

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #824 of 5,394

Yes, Do you have anything you might want to add to my query?

Nothing more haha. I prefer the Live version more than the original, being able to pick out where each member on stage is. Having different headphones place you in different distances in the crowd.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #825 of 5,394
This.

I think that preference plays a huge part here. I just auditioned the Andromeda, Lyra II and Vega.

I don't think that the Vega has any significant qualities that jump out at you upon first listen, apart from the heftiness of bass. With critical listening however, the Vegas begin to shine. It's perhaps the first IEM I've heard so far where the bloominess of bass doesn't add any veil to the midrange. Quite peculiar. Sense of space is also top-notch, not in the traditional airiness and enormous stage sense, but in terms of excellent layering, separation and imaging. I also feel that the instrument timbre of the Vega is superb, much in line with the rest of their lineup.

Many IEMs are designed/tuned in a way that leave a strong first impression (wow-factor?) due to a particular aspect of its sound signature. Sustainability of this impression notwithstanding, it often doesn't correlate to the technical competency of the IEM as a whole. 'Holistic' evaluation is key, instead of surgically dissecting and isolating each particular trait sonic trait, classifying them under some ranking system. The CA Vega is IMO one such IEM that examplifies this. Bass aside, it does a number of things subtly very well.

That being said, the signature of the Andromeda appeals the most to me, and would no doubt be my choice if I decided to go for a pair of expensive IEMs. Vega had some HF peaks that didn't tickle my fancy. Overall bass was also a little too much for my tastes. As mentioned -- a matter of preference.

agree some of hf peaks are teasing but not my cup of tea coupled with the superior bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back