Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 14, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #5,146 of 5,394
I was going to post this over in the Comet/Atlas thread, but figured it would create less friction over here.

I went to listen to the Atlas today fully prepared to buy a pair to replace my Vega.

I didn't buy them.

Test tracks

Talk Talk - Happiness is Easy
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Porcupine Tree - Trains
Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane

Bass - Definitely lower and more from the Atlas, but I found the Vega to have better slam and texture. I also found the Atlas bass intruded into the midrange more. For me a win for the Vega.

Mids - I liked both with the edge in vocals to the Atlas. I felt lower mids were slightly muddy with the Atlas due to the bottom end, but overall the Vega was slightly more recessed while still not as smooth as the Atlas. Win for the Atlas.

Treble - the Atlas and the Vega have unobtrusive and forgiving treble response. I find CA's tuning in these single driver designs remarkable. I've owned the Andromeda and currently use the Fidue Sirius, which are both more resolving but also less forgiving. If you listen to older recordings and rock, I think the Vega and Atlas are about the best money you can spend . They're both fun to listen to, and resolve enough to allow critical listening. I'd call it a tie.

Soundstage - Atlas is definitely wider and deeper . This wasn't even close. While instrument layering was close, the Atlas extended in all directions wider than the Vega. Clear win for the Atlas.

Overall because it's new and I'm a chronic flipper I would say that if both were currently available at the price difference, I'd buy the Atlas, but I'm still pretty pleased with the Vega

Good feedback, concise and straight to the point, thank you!

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #5,147 of 5,394
Has anyone ever experienced one side of the Vegas not working? My left Vega completely stopped working today out of nowhere. I was listening to music for about 15 mins, paused them and took them off for a brief conversation at work, and than put them back on. When I put them back on the left ear had completely stopped working.

I’ve tried a different cable but same thing. I did get it to work for one second by pushing it deep in my ear a few times to make a clicking noise (driver flex? Idk, I’m a noob) but it stopped working right after that again.

They are only a couple months old and I’ve taken the upmost care of them (never dropped them, always in their carrying case, etc). Has anyone ever experienced this? I figured I’d ask here before emailing them for a replacement. I just want them to work as soon as possible because I already miss listening to them. :frowning2:

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #5,148 of 5,394
Has anyone ever experienced one side of the Vegas not working? My left Vega completely stopped working today out of nowhere. I was listening to music for about 15 mins, paused them and took them off for a brief conversation at work, and than put them back on. When I put them back on the left ear had completely stopped working.

I’ve tried a different cable but same thing. I did get it to work for one second by pushing it deep in my ear a few times to make a clicking noise (driver flex? Idk, I’m a noob) but it stopped working right after that again.

They are only a couple months old and I’ve taken the upmost care of them (never dropped them, always in their carrying case, etc). Has anyone ever experienced this? I figured I’d ask here before emailing them for a replacement. I just want them to work as soon as possible because I already miss listening to them. :frowning2:
I have had that happen before. Contact them via the warranty page of the CA site and I'm sure you'll be well taken care of.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,149 of 5,394
Something weird has just happened with my Vega. I’ve mentioned before that I have tried silicone tips several times before and every time the same results, thin tinny sound. Put the foams back on and all good.
So last night and tonight I’ve been tip rolling again. MandarinEs Symbio tips, comply 400s, stock foams and Spiral Dots.
The Spiral Dots I use on Andromeda, IT03/01 and love em. Every time I’ve tried them on the Vega they just didn’t cut it, but tonight it’s a different story. The bass is back, the mids are a lot fuller and the highs are just right. This maybe down to me trying the Symbio’s last night and tonight.
Brain burn in I guess, don’t really care, they sound great now. Really have a live kind of feel to the music, awesome and when I need to chill a bit....Andromeda :smile_phones:
Got the RHA duel density tips on order, so I’ll be giving them a try soon.
The Symbio sound good but just can’t get a good fit and the foam seems too firm.
Seems like the Spiral Dots are the tips for me:smile_phones:

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #5,151 of 5,394
Has anyone ever experienced one side of the Vegas not working?
I’ve tried a different cable but same thing.

First post on Headfi after years of reading it. Hello everyone.

Thought I would add on the experience. I got my first CA IEM and have a similar issue but on the Dorado while brand new out of box. The left IEM cuts out intermittently. Initially I thought it must be the cable but soon found out it wasn't. Strangely lifting/adjusting the memory wire would restore signal before cutting out again. Perhaps the stem of the connector (or even the pin on the MMCX) is faulty/loose.

I'm sure CA has exceptional after sales support and I am hoping the same outcome for me. Although I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to the Vega.

Any thoughts?

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #5,152 of 5,394

Thought I would add on the experience. I got my first CA IEM and have a similar issue but on the Dorado while brand new out of box. The left IEM cuts out intermittently. Initially I thought it must be the cable but soon found out it wasn't. Strangely lifting/adjusting the memory wire would restore signal before cutting out again. Perhaps the stem of the connector (or even the pin on the MMCX) is faulty/loose.

I'm sure CA has exceptional after sales support and I am hoping the same outcome for me. Although I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to the Vega.

Any thoughts?

What’s your source? And is WIFI enabled? I’ve had this happen with WIFI enabled on some sources. It is pretty unlikely it is the IEM itself, but it is possible

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #5,153 of 5,394
What’s your source? And is WIFI enabled? I’ve had this happen with WIFI enabled on some sources. It is pretty unlikely it is the IEM itself, but it is possible

Sony WM1A with BT and NFC disabled of course.

The problem only happens on the left IEM. Right IEM is sweet as. What I do now is to hold still in a position that work so I can enjoy some music. Although I quietly question if it is working optimally. Its going back to the store now. Hopefully I can find a replacement. I'm still sold on the Dorado though but I have not auditioned the Vega because I knew the price is right up there.

Gonna try and see if I should spend more.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #5,154 of 5,394

Any thoughts?
I’ve not tried the Dorado, so can’t really comment on them, but can say I really enjoy the Vega and Andromeda. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Andromeda, although I find myself reaching for the Vega more.
I’m going to the London CanJam and will be trying out all of Campfires gear, especially the Atlas. Can’t say I like the look of the Atlas, but that could change when I get up close and personal with it.
The finish on the Vega with the Liquid Metal housing is simply amazing.
Good luck in whatever choices you make :smile_phones:

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #5,155 of 5,394
Can’t say I like the look of the Atlas, but that could change when I get up close and personal with it.
The finish on the Vega with the Liquid Metal housing is simply amazing.
Good luck in whatever choices you make :smile_phones:

Thanks mate.
I have to say the liquid metal housing design is what caught my eye on CA IEMs. I learnt about CA when I bought an IEM upgrade cable and my local shop introduced Alo Audio. That cable sent me on a journey.

Back to the Atlas, I like the retro look approach. But the polished stainless steel while stylish can pick up micro scratches. I guess one could polish and buff it.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #5,156 of 5,394
Thanks mate.
I have to say the liquid metal housing design is what caught my eye on CA IEMs. I learnt about CA when I bought an IEM upgrade cable and my local shop introduced Alo Audio. That cable sent me on a journey.

Back to the Atlas, I like the retro look approach. But the polished stainless steel while stylish can pick up micro scratches. I guess one could polish and buff it.
Guess we’re both on the Campfire journey, love the Campfire sound and the build quality is second to none and I still find myself staring at the Vega/Andromeda just before I put them in. :ksc75smile:

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #5,157 of 5,394
Sony WM1A with BT and NFC disabled of course.

The problem only happens on the left IEM. Right IEM is sweet as. What I do now is to hold still in a position that work so I can enjoy some music. Although I quietly question if it is working optimally. Its going back to the store now. Hopefully I can find a replacement. I'm still sold on the Dorado though but I have not auditioned the Vega because I knew the price is right up there.

Gonna try and see if I should spend more.

Did you try cleaning the cable connectors? I’ve had some problems with the MMCX that CA uses

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #5,158 of 5,394
Did you try cleaning the cable connectors?

I tried just now. No change. I didn't expect it to considering it was new out of box. The connectors on both the cable and IEM look ok to me.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,160 of 5,394
I have found the RHA Dual Density silicone tips to work really well. Don't sound at all like what you described.
Got the RHA Dual Density tips today, can’t even get em on the Vega. Not gonna bother now for fear of breaking the nozzle off. They fit on the Andromeda, no problem but still prefer the Spiral Dots. Gonna try em out on the IT03/01 and see how I get on. Even though I prefer the Spiral Dots, I like these and great value also. Definitely keeepers :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back