Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4,383 of 5,394
Hey guys.

Ended up digging my Westone 4's out and have to admit they sound absolutely terrible and mind of wish I'd kept the se846 for a while.

Doug 2507: Details? I have W3s and generally like them. I would like to hear what you like about your Shures and Campfires (if you've pulled the trigger on a pair) that you don't like about your Westones.

Hisoundfi: Thank you for that link. I am curious what to expect with a dynamic driver as my only IEMs are balanced armature. Looking at the frequency plots in that review I have concerns whether I'd like the CA offerings. Bass 15 dB higher than the rest of the range? I don't think that is for me. Is that common to dynamic drivers, or tuning particular to Campfire?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,384 of 5,394
Doug 2507: Details? I have W3s and generally like them. I would like to hear what you like about your Shures and Campfires (if you've pulled the trigger on a pair) that you don't like about your Westones.

Hisoundfi: Thank you for that link. I am curious what to expect with a dynamic driver as my only IEMs are balanced armature. Looking at the frequency plots in that review I have concerns whether I'd like the CA offerings. Bass 15 dB higher than the rest of the range? I don't think that is for me. Is that common to dynamic drivers, or tuning particular to Campfire?
DDs have a better bass Sound, in general. Vega, however, is specifically tuned to be extra bassy, but not bloated in even the slightest. It is absolutely worth a listen.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #4,385 of 5,394
My main earphones prior to buying the Vega was the Westone W50. Very different sound and I kept grabbing the Vega over them. I have since picked by the Andromeda White as part of the Black Friday sale. Yesterday I pulled out the W50's to compare them to the Andromeda's. The only good thing I can say about the W50 is it has decent bass. However the midrange and highs are so muted and recessed it sounds like I was listening to them thru a blanket. This was using the same balanced Ref8 cable to my OPUS#2. It's no comparison.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #4,386 of 5,394
I used to like my w4's and the shures bettered them in every respect but didn't realise by how much till I sold the shures and went back to the Westones.

I've tried Lyra 2 and they just aren't my cup of tea at all. I find the bass bloated, loose, sucked out lower mids, muddled when busy, hard listening unless specific albums.

Not listened to either vega on andro but think andro would have been better suited to my tastes. I do like bass, don't get me wrong (also ex bass player) but not a fan of the emphasized lower end. Doesn't sound natural and could just eq the shures to get the same effect.

With right cable/tips/modded filters the shures will tick every box for me.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,387 of 5,394
I used to like my w4's and the shures bettered them in every respect but didn't realise by how much till I sold the shures and went back to the Westones.

I've tried Lyra 2 and they just aren't my cup of tea at all. I find the bass bloated, loose, sucked out lower mids, muddled when busy, hard listening unless specific albums.

Not listened to either vega on andro but think andro would have been better suited to my tastes. I do like bass, don't get me wrong (also ex bass player) but not a fan of the emphasized lower end. Doesn't sound natural and could just eq the shures to get the same effect.

Vega is so much darker than Lyra II, but cleaner at the same time. I enjoyed the mids on the Lyra II, but the trebles were too harsh for me. From what you've described, Andromeda is likely the best fit for you, though I highly recommend giving Vega a good days listen just for the fun of it.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,388 of 5,394
HeartofSky, Doug2507 and Lookout57:

Thank you for the information. The hybrid Campfires are intriguing to me, especially the Polaris and Dorado. The Vega are more than I want to spend at this time. Perhaps the Lyra II if I wanted to stay with a single driver? Based on other posts within this thread, though, the Lyra II seems to be polarizing, with just as many supporters as detractors. Likely a 'phone that requires an audition.

Lookout57's comments make me think I need to change brands for my next IEMs, because his description of the Westone sound is exactly what I am looking to change. If my signature ever starts posting, he'd be able to see we like some of the same gear: his HIFIMAN HE400i and my HE500. I do like my HE500, with my home amp, better than my W3 for the reasons you three posted.

I'm still concerned about the bass boost shown in those graphs. I'd like a flatter presentation, rather than a bass-head sound.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #4,389 of 5,394

I'm not sure that you could EQ the Shures to get the same effect. DD and BA bass are different beasts. There is real impact to DD bass that BA can rarely match. Regardless of frequency response tuning. Also, with EQ you are generally better off reducing rather than boosting frequencies. Boosting (esp in the bass) is more likely to create more distortion and push drivers beyond what was intended. No such worries when reducing freqs.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,390 of 5,394
HeartofSky, Doug2507 and Lookout57:

Thank you for the information. The hybrid Campfires are intriguing to me, especially the Polaris and Dorado. The Vega are more than I want to spend at this time. Perhaps the Lyra II if I wanted to stay with a single driver? Based on other posts within this thread, though, the Lyra II seems to be polarizing, with just as many supporters as detractors. Likely a 'phone that requires an audition.

Lookout57's comments make me think I need to change brands for my next IEMs, because his description of the Westone sound is exactly what I am looking to change. If my signature ever starts posting, he'd be able to see we like some of the same gear: his HIFIMAN HE400i and my HE500. I do like my HE500, with my home amp, better than my W3 for the reasons you three posted.

I'm still concerned about the bass boost shown in those graphs. I'd like a flatter presentation, rather than a bass-head sound.
I can appreciate your liking a flatter presentation. The bass of the Vega, however, is truly one of those things (like psychedelics) that needs to be experienced to be understood. It's so deep, emotional, impactful, and amazingly clean. It just doesn't bleed into the mids, and the highs are completely unaffected. It's impressive.

You may like Polaris. Dorado, from what I've read, has a very strong bass punch to it, lending a lot of color.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4,391 of 5,394
It's harder to type on phone but here it goes:

I have owned 2 of this company's IEMs personally. My brother has the Lyra II, so I have used 3 of the IEMs. I had purchased the Jupiter back when that was their TOTL. Afterwards, I sold it and purchased the Vega upon release.
To me, the Vega is better than the Lyra II. It really makes live performances sound like a full blown concert. Sure, it wouldn't be as expansive sounding as the Andro but it's not small by any means. The Lyra II is quite a laid back IEM and it's sound signature reflects that.
The Vega does have the bass up but it's precise and controlled. And judging by what people say about the Andro, I would expect the Andro to be much flatter.
Again, sure the Andro is gonna be more "defined" but you have to stop and go, "What do I want out of my IEMs?" If you fancy the idea that you can break down the small portions of the song or piece, Andro/Jupiter (since the Jupiter is the simplier older brother). But if you care not about that stuff, which you still can but not to that crazy small detail, but more focused on the collective piece and realism in a different aspect, Vega.
To me the Vega, is my favorite IEM. It's not clustered. It makes live recordings/performances sound real and like I'm there. For me, the energy I feel from them is incredible.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,392 of 5,394
It's harder to type on phone but here it goes:

I have owned 2 of this company's IEMs personally. My brother has the Lyra II, so I have used 3 of the IEMs. I had purchased the Jupiter back when that was their TOTL. Afterwards, I sold it and purchased the Vega upon release.
To me, the Vega is better than the Lyra II. It really makes live performances sound like a full blown concert. Sure, it wouldn't be as expansive sounding as the Andro but it's not small by any means. The Lyra II is quite a laid back IEM and it's sound signature reflects that.
The Vega does have the bass up but it's precise and controlled. And judging by what people say about the Andro, I would expect the Andro to be much flatter.
Again, sure the Andro is gonna be more "defined" but you have to stop and go, "What do I want out of my IEMs?" If you fancy the idea that you can break down the small portions of the song or piece, Andro/Jupiter (since the Jupiter is the simplier older brother). But if you care not about that stuff, which you still can but not to that crazy small detail, but more focused on the collective piece and realism in a different aspect, Vega.
To me the Vega, is my favorite IEM. It's not clustered. It makes live recordings/performances sound real and like I'm there. For me, the energy I feel from them is incredible.
Oh, and we have to remember that Andromeda is extremely source dependent. It's a little hiss machine at the wrong impedance. It's a bird that can sing the most beautiful songs, but she's a picky little diva.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #4,393 of 5,394
Oh, and we have to remember that Andromeda is extremely source dependent. It's a little hiss machine at the wrong impedance. It's a bird that can sing the most beautiful songs, but she's a picky little diva.
True. But as is the Vega. It loves source power and scales with more powerful, quality sources.
But just from a technical IEM only standpoint, I was speaking from. I assume everyone here has something decently powerful at least.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,394 of 5,394
True. But as is the Vega. It loves source power and scales with more powerful, quality sources.
But just from a technical IEM only standpoint, I was speaking from. I assume everyone here has something decently powerful at least.
So true.

Not necessarily related, but I finally had an experience that showed me my DAP really is entry level. I've got the NWZ-A17, and have been loving it. I know that it doesn't put out as much great sound as Vega can handle, but it's what I could afford at the time. Wanting to get the ZX300 when it's finally out. Anyway, I was gifted a cheap turntable (like super cheap. Have to upgrade ASAP), which required me to get an amp. So, I went to the thrift store and got a Yamaha r-7 from like 1984 for $40. I'm running my Schiit Fulla 2 through it from my laptop. (again, I'm so entry level right now, and am really looking forward to all these insane modular upgrades).

So, the other night, I was really feeling Miracles, by Jefferson Airplane. There's just something about that song that is so right and so dirty, at the same time. It wasn't on my DAP, so I was plugged in to my laptop. Since I wanted to move around my place while listening, I transferred the song over and then, for the first time... I heard my DAP as damped and muddy. Dammit! Now I have to save up more! LMAO

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4,395 of 5,394
So true.

Not necessarily related, but I finally had an experience that showed me my DAP really is entry level. I've got the NWZ-A17, and have been loving it. I know that it doesn't put out as much great sound as Vega can handle, but it's what I could afford at the time. Wanting to get the ZX300 when it's finally out. Anyway, I was gifted a cheap turntable (like super cheap. Have to upgrade ASAP), which required me to get an amp. So, I went to the thrift store and got a Yamaha r-7 from like 1984 for $40. I'm running my Schiit Fulla 2 through it from my laptop. (again, I'm so entry level right now, and am really looking forward to all these insane modular upgrades).

So, the other night, I was really feeling Miracles, by Jefferson Airplane. There's just something about that song that is so right and so dirty, at the same time. It wasn't on my DAP, so I was plugged in to my laptop. Since I wanted to move around my place while listening, I transferred the song over and then, for the first time... I heard my DAP as damped and muddy. Dammit! Now I have to save up more! LMAO
iBasso DX200 with Amp 3. Made my Vega sing, dwarfed Mojo in all aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back