Campfire Audio - Solstice CIEM
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #136 of 149
I was always wondering this too.

not that I don’t believe you, but were you told this from campfire or is this speculation? 2019 makes sense to me also.

I don't remember exactly when the Solstice was first announced, but I'm pretty sure it was before they released the many different iterations & special editions, which would suggest Andromeda v2 or v3 at the latest. My understanding is the v2 & v3 only had minor updates to the shell & connectors, but the tuning remained the same & Ken hasn't mentioned any changes to the Solstice since it was first released.

~edit - Solstice was announced late-November 2019, so you'd have to go back and see which version of Andromeda coincides with that time frame; I don't remember when v2 & v3 were released.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #138 of 149
which version of andromeda is the solstice based on?
I was always wondering this too.

not that I don’t believe you, but were you told this from campfire or is this speculation? 2019 makes sense to me also.

I also think based on 2019 version, but still tuned slightly different than both 2019 and 2020. I have tried all 3 (2019, 2020, Solstice) and they all sound a little different, but they are all related. Personal favorite sonically is the Andromeda 2020, but wow the Solstice is comfortable with the audiophile fit

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #139 of 149
To address the Andro/Solstice situation, it was released prior to the 2020 refresh with the driver setup from the 2019 Andro. However, it does have a solid body design like the Andro 2020, so think of it as an Andro 2020 beta. In terms of tuning, it is unique and not entirely just an Andro custom. It has a noticeably flatter bass and more focused treble presentation. Here are my measurements for reference:

Campfire Audio Solstice.png

Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 (green) vs Andromeda 2018 (black).png

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #140 of 149
In terms of tuning, it is unique and not entirely just an Andro custom. It has a noticeably flatter bass and more focused treble presentation.

I can definitely second this. In your opinion, does the Solstice sound a bit less engaging than the Andromeda? That's the case with mine

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #141 of 149
I can definitely second this. In your opinion, does the Solstice sound a bit less engaging than the Andromeda? That's the case with mine

I do like a bit more bass personally, so it took me some time to adjust to the Solstice. It has good extension and great speed but I agree, could do with more fullness. For me, the 2020 strikes the most ideal balance, good to see CFA revisit this design and continually improve it. But I do still think the Solstice has its own character that some will prefer.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #142 of 149
Bumping this thread back to give the Solstice some love! I got a set last week, and it should be there this coming week.

I am having a great experience with my custom Equinox, and felt bad that the Equinox did not have it's twin!

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #143 of 149
Bumping this thread back to give the Solstice some love! I got a set last week, and it should be there this coming week.

I am having a great experience with my custom Equinox, and felt bad that the Equinox did not have it's twin!
That's awesome! Did you get the audiophile fit? What do you think of the Solstice compared to Andromeda 2019/2020?

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #144 of 149
That's awesome! Did you get the audiophile fit? What do you think of the Solstice compared to Andromeda 2019/2020?

Sorry I missed this, bud. I did get audiophile fit and love it. I wish more companies would offer this format.

I recently booted up my Solstice after not listening to it for a while - been on a train with my VULKAN and SA6, getting used to living with DUNU.

I forgot how much I love the Andromeda house sound. I'd say these are similar to the 2020, with a slightly more relaxed but forward treble.

They excel with a fun DAC/AMP like the Go Blu, Go Bar, or xDSD Gryphon

Call me crazy, but they also have some similarities with the JH Sharona. The Solstice (outside of the more forward treble) is a mini-me of the Sharona in the best kind of way. The Sharona is still more smooth however, while the Solstice maintains that signature Campfire sparkle.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #145 of 149
Personally, I’d say that Solstice is extremely underrated being smth in between Andromeda 2020, Andromeda Gold and, probably, Pacific Blue one. It has its own character that is close old-fashioned relaxed flagship IEMs like Fitear TG334, original Lime Ears Aether, Perfect Seal Deca or Custom Art Harmony 8.2, where the euphonic character was prior to resolution and endless W-shape concepts… It’s so sad that this type of IEMs hasn’t become popular :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #146 of 149
Personally, I’d say that Solstice is extremely underrated being smth in between Andromeda 2020, Andromeda Gold and, probably, Pacific Blue one. It has its own character that is close old-fashioned relaxed flagship IEMs like Fitear TG334, original Lime Ears Aether, Perfect Seal Deca or Custom Art Harmony 8.2, where the euphonic character was prior to resolution and endless W-shape concepts… It’s so sad that this type of IEMs hasn’t become popular :frowning2:

I absolutely agree. I continue to be impressed by my Solstice to this day, and it remains to be one of my best purchases in audio.

The small form factor, audiophile fit, all-encompassing sound signature, and still class-leading soundstage are all fantastic.

I EQ a little more bass just because I'm a bit of a basshead but otherwise I'm a very happy camper and it is one of my most used sets to date.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #147 of 149
I absolutely agree. I continue to be impressed by my Solstice to this day, and it remains to be one of my best purchases in audio.

The small form factor, audiophile fit, all-encompassing sound signature, and still class-leading soundstage are all fantastic.

I EQ a little more bass just because I'm a bit of a basshead but otherwise I'm a very happy camper and it is one of my most used sets to date.
Since I have UEIM version of Solstice (there’s no way to order custom in Russia now), I tend to carry several types of tips in order to regulate the balance of lows and highs according to current mood :)

I’m not the biggest fan of CA, but Solstice has become my edc option, just like Dunu Luna

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #148 of 149
Here’s my Solstice with SoftEars tips*

*Yep, this is a figurine of Yormungand))

3BA79DAA-E073-4BAC-BA5E-6DD6F871B12E.jpeg

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #149 of 149
Any Solstice owners able to compare to the recently launched Andromeda 2023?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back