Campfire Audio - Saber
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #62 of 152
Very true, if seemingly almost begrudgingly šŸ¤£

Could be, but only crinacle alone knows how he truly feels about that :wink:

Regardless of these ratings, that table is very impressive and probably very useful to many folks into C/IEMs

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 152
Iā€™ve not a/b tested andro and Holocene, and I think Iā€™d want to do that before a blind buy, since part of androā€™s charm is the imaging and staging, and Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s where the Holocene falls apart a bit.
I find the Holoceneā€™s more neutral/analytical than the Andros. They do not have quite the depth as the Andros but the still have good staging. Imaging is much the same in that they arenā€™t on the Andros level, but they are no way a slouch. The only thing really lacking on the Holoceneā€™s is the sub bass. Itā€™s there, but definitely not featured.

I actually prefer the Holoceneā€™s for mixing and production work because they are a good reference neutral with plenty of mids.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #64 of 152
I find the Holoceneā€™s more neutral/analytical than the Andros. They do not have quite the depth as the Andros but the still have good staging. Imaging is much the same in that they arenā€™t on the Andros level, but they are no way a slouch. The only thing really lacking on the Holoceneā€™s is the sub bass. Itā€™s there, but definitely not featured.

I actually prefer the Holoceneā€™s for mixing and production work because they are a good reference neutral with plenty of mids.
Iā€™ll see if I can get a pair cheap used and then compare :) potentially could work.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #65 of 152
Using the medium stock foam tips.

Quick A/B with the OG Andros - the Andros are better in every respect. The chart with the mids recessed on the Saber is accurate and noticeable. At least with what Iā€™ve listening to so far.

The Saberā€™s definition is just missing in that range compared to the Andros and I find thatā€™s a range I really like to hear.
Iā€™d be interested to know what using the Andro cable on the Sabers does to its sound.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #67 of 152
No noticeable change when using the andro cable on the saber. Still just missing something in the mids.

Listening to Waxahatchee Out in the storm. Iā€™m very familiar with this record. The soundstage is kind of crowded and the mids in Katieā€™s voice just arenā€™t there.

Volume is also lower on the Saber than the Andros so itā€™s hard to get a volume match when switched back and forth.

Vocals are not as clear and the reverb thatā€™s prominent throughout the vocal tracks gets squished to the main vocals. Harmonies are also not as separated.

Overall, the Saber donā€™t match the Andros in any way. At least in the music Iā€™ve used thus far. I hate to say that because I really like CFA and their tuning generally. These arenā€™t doing it for me.

If these were my only IEMs, Iā€™m sure Iā€™d be happy with them but theyā€™ve got some tough competition. The Andros are just more lively and musical to my ears. I am not a reviewer and I donā€™t know whatā€™s ā€œrightā€ as far as various curves. I just know what I like and the sound from the Andros is what appeals to me.

Next up is the Holocene. For the rest of tonight, though, Iā€™m just going to enjoy my favorite record with my favorite IEMs.

(On another note, Iā€™m really happy with the way my iPhone is driving my Andros. Maybe the Saber need more power. Iā€™ve got a Shanling M6 Pro I could try them with. Later.)

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #69 of 152
Just got these today!

54240AE3-4C00-44F4-B7C2-27C333123E52.jpeg
8968BDE0-6065-45BF-9138-D70329ED8CE8.jpeg
5D025DE2-D305-4859-ABA6-BC652D83F3B7.jpeg

On first listen, I can echo the ā€œmids with some reverbā€ impression. The sub bass is also a bit lacking as well.

Iā€™ll give them more time to open up and do some tip-rolling.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #70 of 152
No noticeable change when using the andro cable on the saber. Still just missing something in the mids.

Listening to Waxahatchee Out in the storm. Iā€™m very familiar with this record. The soundstage is kind of crowded and the mids in Katieā€™s voice just arenā€™t there.

Volume is also lower on the Saber than the Andros so itā€™s hard to get a volume match when switched back and forth.

Vocals are not as clear and the reverb thatā€™s prominent throughout the vocal tracks gets squished to the main vocals. Harmonies are also not as separated.

Overall, the Saber donā€™t match the Andros in any way. At least in the music Iā€™ve used thus far. I hate to say that because I really like CFA and their tuning generally. These arenā€™t doing it for me.

If these were my only IEMs, Iā€™m sure Iā€™d be happy with them but theyā€™ve got some tough competition. The Andros are just more lively and musical to my ears. I am not a reviewer and I donā€™t know whatā€™s ā€œrightā€ as far as various curves. I just know what I like and the sound from the Andros is what appeals to me.

Next up is the Holocene. For the rest of tonight, though, Iā€™m just going to enjoy my favorite record with my favorite IEMs.

(On another note, Iā€™m really happy with the way my iPhone is driving my Andros. Maybe the Saber need more power. Iā€™ve got a Shanling M6 Pro I could try them with. Later.)

Try them with some silicone tips and a different source, would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Also the Andromeda is superb, but it's over twice the price of the Saber and uses 5 BA's instead of 2 DD + 1 BA so kind of apples and oranges in terms of a comparison, but it's still good to hear your thoughts as many know the Andromeda sound so it's a handy reference

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #71 of 152
Will be hanging around here looking for more impressions... But from the initial impressions, doesn't really look up my alley. I love my mids, and while it's okay if they sit a bit behind, I simply can't tolerate if they do not have the engagement factor. Looks like Saber misses out on that.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #73 of 152
Looks like mine got the dreaded delivery delay to tomorrow.

My Equinox did however get in, so it's going to be a really fun week for my ears!

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #75 of 152
Iā€™m an Andro 2020 owner who has been waiting for a CA hybrid that would hit the mark for me. Polaris? too ā€œVā€. Dorado? too expensive. Mammoth? too many mixed reactions. Onyx? I bought one on impulse but havenā€™t opened it yet. (It might become a birthday gift for my son.)

Now Saber intrigues me yet again. Iā€™d be interested in comparisons between it and the IEMs I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back