Campfire Audio New IEM release
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #616 of 1,217
i would consider the new Sr25 instead
The SR25 has a higher output impedance. Depending on your sound preferences, this may be a downgrade from the SR15. Higher output impedance with the Andromeda (and presumably the Ara) means less bass.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #617 of 1,217
The SR25 has a higher output impedance. Depending on your sound preferences, this may be a downgrade from the SR15. Higher output impedance with the Andromeda (and presumably the Ara) means less bass.
Just read some reviews with a compare to the SR15 ... no way it would be a downgrade ...

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #618 of 1,217
Regarding Ara/Andro'20 and SR15 vs SR25. From A&K's spec, both SR15 and SR25 have 1.6 ohm OI of 2.5mm BAL output. But I assume we are talking about 3.5mm while using CFA stock cable. In that case single ended output: SR15 - 1.1 ohm, while SR25 - 1.8 ohm. Imho, this is not a big difference, not as bad as shanling M2s 5 ohm OI or hiby R6 10 ohm OI, with a latter one really messing up the bass response unless you use iematch.

But, all that is on paper, while in practice:

1591904900395.png

Consistently between Ara and Andro'20, using the same stock Final Type-E eartips and playing the same track, volume matched, the bass is softer, slower, more relaxed, and has a longer decay on SR15, while it is faster, tighter, with more impact, and more control (shorter decay) on SR25. Also, SR25 has a blacker background. That would be my personal preference to use over SR15 with either Ara or Andro'20.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #619 of 1,217
The battery improvement is already worth it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #620 of 1,217
Regarding Ara/Andro'20 and SR15 vs SR25. From A&K's spec, both SR15 and SR25 have 1.6 ohm OI of 2.5mm BAL output. But I assume we are talking about 3.5mm while using CFA stock cable. In that case single ended output: SR15 - 1.1 ohm, while SR25 - 1.8 ohm. Imho, this is not a big difference, not as bad as shanling M2s 5 ohm OI or hiby R6 10 ohm OI, with a latter one really messing up the bass response unless you use iematch.

1591904900395.png

Consistently between Ara and Andro'20, using the same stock Final Type-E eartips and playing the same track, volume matched, the bass is softer, slower, more relaxed, and has a longer decay on SR15, while it is faster, tighter, with more impact, and more control (shorter decay) on SR25. Also, SR25 has a blacker background. That would be my personal preference to use over SR15 with either Ara or Andro'20.

Thanks for the comparison! I’m looking at picking up an SR25 for my new 2020 set of Andromeda’s.

How’s the soundstage on the 2.5mm vs 3.5mm, I’ve read a lot of people saying 2.5mm = deeper and wider with blacker background

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #621 of 1,217
If you are new to this hobby and interested in the Ara iem; I would advise you to purchase the Campfire Audio (CA) Orion! It was the original iem by CA and the most “neutral” iem prior to the Andromeda. The Orion has similar qualities to the Ara in that it is honest and does not exaggerate any sound frequency. To my ears the Orion is a mid forward iem and has a gradual roll-off in the sub-bass as well as the treble above 7khz. To be able to say (in my opinion) that you can experience 80% of what the Ara is for $199 with the Orion is such a deal!!! I feel that I can definitely appreciate what CA has brought to the table with the Ara but just know that the Orion was their first neutralish iem that has been fully realized with the Ara. Just my .02 thus far.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #622 of 1,217
If you are new to this hobby and interested in the Ara iem; I would advise you to purchase the Campfire Audio (CA) Orion! It was the original iem by CA and the most “neutral” iem prior to the Andromeda. The Orion has similar qualities to the Ara in that it is honest and does not exaggerate any sound frequency. To my ears the Orion is a mid forward iem and has a gradual roll-off in the sub-bass as well as the treble above 7khz. To be able to say (in my opinion) that you can experience 80% of what the Ara is for $199 with the Orion is such a deal!!! I feel that I can definitely appreciate what CA has brought to the table with the Ara but just know that the Orion was their first neutralish iem that has been fully realized with the Ara. Just my .02 thus far.
I haven’t heard the Ara, but love the Orion.
I purchases mine as B stock. Great deal.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #623 of 1,217
Thanks for the comparison! I’m looking at picking up an SR25 for my new 2020 set of Andromeda’s.

How’s the soundstage on the 2.5mm vs 3.5mm, I’ve read a lot of people saying 2.5mm = deeper and wider with blacker background

I covered everything in my SR25 review here, look under sound analysis.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #624 of 1,217
Back on the trail after a busy week back at work... etc etc

DX220 Max low gain/ brick wall filter. Android side.
Campfire Audio Anrdromeda Original V1 2016?, V3- 2019 and V4 2020.
Stock cable, final audio tips (So others can replicate the findings... or not. I usually use Spiral dots ++ with wide nozzle campfires), 3.5mm Single ended.
V1 litz cable
V3 smokey litz
V4 smokey litz

Beck - ‘Sea Changes’
Billie Eilish ‘selection from all songs’
Laga Gaga and Bradley Cooper ‘A star is born’
Lana Del Rey ‘Shadiest moments’.

Andro V1 - a more laidback sound, v shaped, emphasis on vocals and trebles. Lightness and airy. It still holds it own very well. Just lacks a certain maturity. Defined and clear.
The Andromeda v1 is its own thing -- it still holds it own.

Andro V3 - Nice centrered vocals, w sound signature, smooth, Bit more lower bass than v4. Slightly strident at times.
The mids give it a nice body compared to the airiness of V1.
Vocals forward. Warm. It has an excellent clarity, separation but lacks a certain definition that the V4 has.

Andro V4 2020 - more ‘stronger’, imaging and separation is really well done, I don’t want to write coherent. But i will. Coherent. Its very clean and controlled. There is a breathy ethereal quality. Vocals just above the music. Resolving.
Its very easy to listen to, and hard to fault. The tonality is spot on. Emotional with soul. It envelopes within and without my skull quite nicely.

The V2 fixed the fit issue by smoothing the shell edges more.
The V3 improved on the sound by adding some mids and other bits and the new smokey litz cable,
the v4 completes the process by maturing the v3 into a more efficient machine with better tonality, timbre and imaging. A more wider sound stage. A bit more linear compared to the v shaped V1 and w shaped V3.

my earlier V1 versus V3 write up can be found here. (With spiral dots
https://www.headpie.net/2019/05/campfire-audio-andromeda-v3-review.html?m=1

9319C520-8958-4DE9-BDDA-1064AABB1BB4.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #625 of 1,217

1591904900395.png

Interesting - this is a useful comparison. I'd been saving up for an SR15, but now I'm wondering if saving a bit more for the SR25 would be better. I like my bass a little present and fast! Thanks!

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #626 of 1,217
Interesting - this is a useful comparison. I'd been saving up for an SR15, but now I'm wondering if saving a bit more for the SR25 would be better. I like my bass a little present and fast! Thanks!

I don't want to drag it off topic (PM me if you have more questions), but for the exact same price, SR25 is a huge step over SR15. I covered it in details here.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #627 of 1,217
Ara has arrived at Bloom Audio! :raised_hands:

IMG_5746.jpg

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #628 of 1,217
Anyone from the German-based headphonecompany.com around here?

Are they seriously saying that the Ara are the exact copy of the Andromeda Special Edition: Gold?

I mean, my German is still a bit rusty but…

Mit 7-Bass-Treibern geht er deutlich voller, körperreicher und musikalischer als der Andromeda ans Werk, bringt aber dessen geniale Feinzeichnung mit. Der Ara ist der eineiige Zwilling des Andromeda Gold – der limitierten Sonderedition aus 2019.

With 7-bass drivers, it is significantly fuller, more full-bodied and musical than the Andromeda, but brings with it its brilliant fine drawing. The "Ara" is the identical twin of Andromeda Gold - the limited special edition from 2019.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #629 of 1,217
Anyone from the German-based headphonecompany.com around here?

Are they seriously saying that the Ara are the exact copy of the Andromeda Special Edition: Gold?

I mean, my German is still a bit rusty but…

giphy.gif
I think they mean with twins same driver config also no crossover etc .. tuning is different for sure . Twins maybe look the same but can have a different character? :D

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #630 of 1,217
I think they mean with twins same driver config also no crossover etc .. tuning is different for sure . Twins maybe look the same but can have a different character? :D

You tell me, your German better be better than mine, you seem to hang around there 😋

I wasn't sure how to translate it and couldn't make sense of what they were saying, i.e., same config/specs or same tuning? (Which would be misleading and doesn't seem to be the type of the company.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back