Campfire Audio New IEM release
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #571 of 1,217
Yea definitely based on those graphs, the solaris looks like it could potentially be the most bass light of the 3. But I do remember looking at Judes graphs from the announcement video which seemed to show the ara as flattest through the bass, with solaris the most boosted. Again, seems like theres definitely some confusion out there about these and how they are marketed vs how some are measuring them.

And again all I can compare here is the andromeda gold and the solaris. And I am much more satisfied with the bass on the solaris. But again, really might just come down to DD vs BA bass. I really like the gold, but find myself more satisfied overall with the solaris.

Regardless it will be good to see more data points come out about the Ara, even though at this point I definitely will not be buying them and probably need a break from spending money in this hobby (anyone wanna send some over for free?).

This and the fact that, reading so many different feedbacks from so many different sources, we tend to forget things which make a world of difference in the IEM world (and in the headphone world as well as I recently experienced with my A&K T5p 2nd gen): tips!

I mean, if I listen to my Andromeda Gold with foam tips, I'll likely describe them as lacking bass and borderline sibilant…

As far as I am concerned, I tend to rely on @ExpatinJapan's review, not only because he seems as crazy (if not more so) than I am, he's also the one reviewer whom I know if he says he likes something, I'll likely like it as well.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #572 of 1,217
This and the fact that, reading so many different feedbacks from so many different sources, we tend to forget things which make a world of difference in the IEM world (and in the headphone world as well as I recently experienced with my A&K T5p 2nd gen): tips!

I mean, if I listen to my Andromeda Gold with foam tips, I'll likely describe them as lacking bass and borderline sibilant…

As far as I am concerned, I tend to rely on @ExpatinJapan's review, not only because he seems as crazy (if not more so) than I am, he's also the one reviewer whom I know if he says he likes something, I'll likely like it as well.

Well i wouldn’t ! #headpiesucks

2C6610A6-E0AC-4748-8AFD-7D1ACF7197DE.jpeg

i was just at the start of a little check the Bass session.

stock cables, stock final audio tips and source dap is iBasso DX220 Max to a headphone switcher box for quick changes.

Fugees ‘How many Miles‘
Solaris 2020: Deeper
Andromeda 2020: Gentle, solid.
Ara: Defined, more chiseled.

quite close

Billie Eilish ‘Bad guy’
Solaris 2020: More enveloping.A full head of bass.
Andromeda 2020: Softer, smoother.
Ara: Controlled, deep and wide. Lighter overall feel.

The DD on the Solaris seems to take a focus, the mids on the Andro, the highs and reference sig the Ara.

Beck ‘Already Dead’
Solaris 2020: Bass and vocals with treble.
Andromeda 2020: Bass and mids synergy with added treble twinkles. Warmth.
Ara: Controlled and coherent. Bass is defined. Deep and wide. Quality.

Ara and Andromeda quantity to the ear seem very close but the eara are slightly fooled by the other frequencies.

Kruder and Dorfmeister (Bomb the bass) ‘bug powder dust’
Solaris 2020: Full enveloping spherical bass. Plentiful.
Andromeda 2020: Decent bass. Still less than Solaris 2020. Warmth with sparkle.
Ara: Bass is quality bass, but is one part of a well tuned system.

Daft punk ‘Get lucky’
Solaris 2020: if you wanna rock out
Andromeda 2020: If you wanna groove
Ara: If you wanna listen

Morcheeba ‘Blood like lemonade’
Solaris 2020: Full, deep and wide.
Andromeda 2020: Easy going, with warmth. S
Ara: laidback. Bass is articulate.

And thats about that.
Draw from it what you will.

Now i am just going to Relax and enjoy listening to some music, with the Solaris 2020 i think.

18031BE4-7C78-4CE9-B803-05E00E389451.png

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #573 of 1,217

2C6610A6-E0AC-4748-8AFD-7D1ACF7197DE.jpeg

stock cables, stock final audio tips and source dap is iBasso DX220 Max to a headphone switcher box for quick changes.

Fugees ‘How many Miles‘

quite close

Billie Eilish ‘Bad guy’

The DD on the Solaris seems to take a focus, the mids on the Andro, the highs and reference sig the Ara.

Beck ‘Already Dead’

Ara and Andromeda quantity to the ear seem very close but the eara are slightly fooled by the other frequencies.

Daft punk ‘Get lucky’

And thats about that.

Now i am just going to Relax and enjoy listening to some music, with the Solaris 2020 i think.

18031BE4-7C78-4CE9-B803-05E00E389451.png
How are they with regards to the hiss on the DX220max?

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #574 of 1,217
How are they with regards to the hiss on the DX220max?
Seems ok.

only got about 25+ hours on it so far.

seemed there was a bit of MINIMAL hiss with sensitive IEMs when i first used it.
Then improved as it got more hours on it.

tests were done on mid gain SE ended. Ara and MW10z
I didnt notice anything significant

- but i am not a hiss meister.

Beerhoven sonata in c sharp minor, opus 27, no2 seems fairly quiet.

and

string quartet number 9 in c major op59/3 is very quiet floor noise, black background

Cycling through a multitude if the first few seconds of tracks with the Ara to make sure its not bad recordings.

Skipped through about 30 songs and only 2-3 had his. A bad Mozart i have and Iggy and the Stooges.

buuut... ‘idk’

need to really clean up my micro sd cards of bad recordings but sometimes its hard to find a clean cd.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #575 of 1,217

Fugees ‘How many Miles‘

quite close

Billie Eilish ‘Bad guy’

Beck ‘Already Dead’

Daft punk ‘Get lucky’

And thats about that.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #576 of 1,217
Thanks for that, Expat.

It sounds like Ara isn't a bass monster, but it's no slouch either.

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger, though with still another two week wait until they ship :frowning2:

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #577 of 1,217
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #578 of 1,217
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #579 of 1,217
I will say if you love the OG or the SE, not sure an upgrade is in order. The 2020 is a bit more in head and not as wide in the stage. The OG and SE have that sound that is similar to floor standing speakers. More spacious. If you like the black color or have fit issues the 2020 is a major thumbs up. I was never a fan of Andromeda but would love to hear ARA. As far as Luna(mentioned in the Bloom Audio review) I am not going to comment on this thread, except to say Luna is only a little bit more expensive and there is an active thread discussing it

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #580 of 1,217
I will say if you love the OG or the SE, not sure an upgrade is in order. The 2020 is a bit more in head and not as wide in the stage. The OG and SE have that sound that is similar to floor standing speakers. More spacious. If you like the black color or have fit issues the 2020 is a major thumbs up. I was never a fan of Andromeda but would love to hear ARA. As far as Luna(mentioned in the Bloom Audio review) I am not going to comment on this thread, except to say Luna is only a little bit more expensive and there is an active thread discussing it
Slightly different take, regarding the SE.
I have never listened to the OG.
I did not perceive any difference in stage between the SE and the 2020. I thought the 2020 retained the open, spacious sound from the SE that i loved so much. I ultimately went with the 2020 largely because of fit, and so I am in complete agreement with you there. I did perceive a slight bump in sub-bass with the 2020, as well as a slight bump in upper-mids. Both “bumps” I refer to are not enough to upgrade, per se, in my opinion. But, the two taken in concert with the fit is worthy of an upgrade. Just my opinion.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #581 of 1,217
Absolutely loved the OG Solaris, but could never get a good/decent fit. With that said I am hoping to receive delivery tomorrow of my 3rd set (owned & sold it twice) after finding a great price on a used one. I wanted to get reacquainted with the sound before deciding whether or not to get the Solaris 2020. I was never enamored with OG Andromeda (owned it twice as well), but I recently acquired the Andromeda Gold which I am enjoying immensely, so I'll be comparing this vs the Solaris as well. Curious about the Ara as well, but one step at a time.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #582 of 1,217
Absolutely loved the OG Solaris, but could never get a good/decent fit. With that said I am hoping to receive delivery tomorrow of my 3rd set (owned & sold it twice) after finding a great price on a used one. I wanted to get reacquainted with the sound before deciding whether or not to get the Solaris 2020. I was never enamored with OG Andromeda (owned it twice as well), but I recently acquired the Andromeda Gold which I am enjoying immensely, so I'll be comparing this vs the Solaris as well. Curious about the Ara as well, but one step at a time.
enjoy the process! One of my favorite parts of this hobby

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #583 of 1,217
Would the Andromeda be a good pairing with the Fiio M9 DAP? Apparently it has an output impedance around 2ohms.

I’ve had my eyes on the M11, but it’s a little out of my price range.

I’ve been using the Andromeda with my iPhone and dislike the bassy/muddy sound from <1oi Apple dongle.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #584 of 1,217
Would the Andromeda be a good pairing with the Fiio M9 DAP? Apparently it has an output impedance around 2ohms.

I’ve had my eyes on the M11, but it’s a little out of my price range.

I’ve been using the Andromeda with my iPhone and dislike the bassy/muddy sound from <1oi Apple dongle.
I don't own an M9, but from what I've read they will have some hiss with the Andromeda. With an OI of 2, the bass will be reduced from what you're hearing with the Apple lightening dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back