Campfire Audio New IEM release
May 31, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #511 of 1,217
Thank you too, means a lot to me :)

In terms of sub-bass quantity (least to most) I would say Andro - Ara - Solaris 2020

I would say in terms of overall bass Ara - Andro - Solaris 2020

Andro has more bias to mid/upper-bass than both so it is the fullest and warmest but the Ara has better extension, so more sub-bass authority. The Solaris 2020 has the best extension and most sub-bass emphasis but is cleaner in the mid/upper-bass.

Clear, thanks!

May 31, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #513 of 1,217
I have had a testing station set up for a couple of days - but busy with my children for the last few days (two months..) - but they are back to school and daycare today as the main state of emergency (semi lockdown) lifted a bit (CoVid-19).

so i will use today and a couple of other days to collect some thoughts.

I’ll keep it basic - but try to cover a bit of varied ground.

From the Solaris thread (Fri/sat?)

BeerNuts said:
What all daps have your tried with the 2020's that you like? I know you have quite the collection from the amazing photos you always take.
Expatinjapan >> “iBasso DX160, DX200/amp1, DX220 amp8EX (just changed back to stock for proper testing), Opus#2, FiiO M11 - trying to match the price points/performance.

edit: oops which do i like? Something with power, detail and clarity. A bit if body - not thin.
- say DX200 amp 8 or amp8EX or dx160. I need to get a balanced cable of the new superlitz also.

I need to add a few other daps into the mix to get a good spread.Adding say DX120 and DX150 (and an iphone) would give a nice spread of power and resolution.

I set up a comparison work place for Andromeda 2020, Ara, Andro V3 and Andro Gold to get quick impressions later (hopefully, children willing....dvd time or nap time...).
I will use stock Final Audio tips on them all.
Luckily they all share the same cable.

i did an earlier write up of Andro V1 vs Andro V3 - so the Andro 2020 article will eventually build on that.

I would like to add Andro MW10 to the mix but i loaned it out months ago to another reviewer - its meant to be returning soon - andro gold/mw10/ara/andro green will be the right mix. Plus I can finally wrap up my MW10 write up.

also do a Solaris 2020/ Ara/Andro 2020 comparison quick look. Basically i imagine it will fit like that.

a bit off/on topic...

Photo taken with an iphone SE. (as usual - wooden boards on the floor...filter added).”

2434AD4B-570B-41CD-B4CC-6709BCC51C52.jpeg

<<using a headphone switcher and will change to a few different daps and an iphone or ipod touch 6G to get a spread. Not a perfect arrangement - but is helpful.

-
i do not think i posted the above in this thread. If i did. Apologies.

96BA0561-E3E5-424B-9A95-9BBEE402A5B2.jpeg

Cutting and trimming trees for five hours today - in memory of all the poor IEMs and headphones that have been photographed in them. jk - wife made me do it. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 and Hidizs AP80 Pro. its a good dap. But i think the Solaris 2020 might need something a bit more beefy. Still a satisfying listen though.
Need to a/b with another dap to really find the nuances.

Solaris 2020 quick notes
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-592#post-15638088

Ok. Enough typing - onto the listening and note taking.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #514 of 1,217
I spent some time today to compare the Solaris OG, Solaris 2020 and Solaris SE. My DAP of choice was my Sony NW-WM1Z running 3.02 Firmware and configured for Region J and in for Direct Source mode. When it came to the cable, I went with the resolution beast, the DHC Clone Silver balanced cable. My coice for tips is the ADV. Eartune Fidelity custom-fit. It provides a comfortable fit, great seal and allows one to easily swap the IEM out without changing the tip insertion and seal.

Tracks listened to:

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash [FLAC 24/96] - Helplessly Hoping
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu [FLAC 24/192] - Carry On
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy Deluxe Edition [FLAC 24/96] - The Sheriff
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac [FLAC 24/96] - World Turning
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [FLAC 24/96] - Never Going Back Again
Peter Gabriel - So [DSD 2.8 MHz] - Don't Give Up
King Crimson - THRAK 40th Anniversary Series [FLAC 24/96] - B'Boom
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [FLAC 24/96] - Dazed and Confused
Joni Mitchell - Blue [FLAC 24/192] - California
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine [FLAC 16/44.1]- Down in It
Lou Reed - Transformer [FLAC 24/96]- Walk on the Wild Side
Supertramp - Crime of the Century [FLAC 24/192] - School
Tool - Fear Inoculum [FLAC 24/96] - Chocolate Chip Trip
The Who - Quadrophenia Super Deluxe Edition [FLAC 24/96] - Love Reign O'er Me
Yes - The Yes Album Definitive Edition [FLAC 24/96] - I've Seen All Good People
Neil Young - Harvest [FLAC 24/192] - Old Man

Tracks were chosen based on imaging/soundstage, bass content, vocals, acoustic instruments or dynamic range.

I first listened to every track on the Solaris OG, then switched to the Solaris 2020 and finished with the Solaris SE. During each track I took notes I what I heard.

Let's cut to the chase, in order of preference:

Solaris SE
Solaris 2020
Solaris OG

So what's the difference that made me rank them this way:

To me the Solaris OG is the love child of the Atlas and Andromeda OG. It has the deep impactful bass of the Atlas where you can really feel the deep bass notes. But it has the details of the Andromeda. So a nice overall combination.

I find the Solaris 2020 sound signature to be much closer to the SE than the OG. The first noticable difference between the OG and 2020 is in the bass. When I first compared the SE and OG, I heard the same difference. The bass quantity has decreased but the bass quality has improved by providing more details or information. Where the 2020 shines over the OG is the increase in the details and in the size of the soundstage.

Finally the Solaris SE is my favorite with the NW-WM1Z. I think the combination of the WM1Z and DHC Clone Silver is overloading the high drivers and causing some top end harshness. Once I turn the volume down a couple of numbers (compared to the volume used with the OG and SE) the harshness goes away and reveals amazing details, a wide expansive soundstage and clean detailed bass. I find the SE has deeper bass than the 2020 but not as deep as the OG. So bassheads will prefer the OG. On good recordings, the SE sound is holographic and imersive.

So I find the Solaris 2020 is be a good upgrade over the OG by improving on the details and creating a larger soundstage. By also making the 2020 smaller it's more comfortable to wear and I can see how what went into it's design could be used to create a custom Solaris. So @KB when is the custom Solaris going to be available? Sign me up.

May 31, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #515 of 1,217
I spent some time today to compare the Solaris OG, Solaris 2020 and Solaris SE. My DAP of choice was my Sony NW-WM1Z running 3.02 Firmware and configured for Region J and in for Direct Source mode. When it came to the cable, I went with the resolution beast, the DHC Clone Silver balanced cable. My coice for tips is the ADV. Eartune Fidelity custom-fit. It provides a comfortable fit, great seal and allows one to easily swap the IEM out without changing the tip insertion and seal.

Tracks listened to:

Tracks were chosen based on imaging/soundstage, bass content, vocals, acoustic instruments or dynamic range.

I first listened to every track on the Solaris OG, then switched to the Solaris 2020 and finished with the Solaris SE. During each track I took notes I what I heard.

Solaris SE
Solaris 2020
Solaris OG

To me the Solaris OG is the love child of the Atlas and Andromeda OG. It has the deep impactful bass of the Atlas where you can really feel the deep bass notes. But it has the details of the Andromeda. So a nice overall combination.

I find the Solaris 2020 sound signature to be much closer to the SE than the OG. The first noticable difference between the OG and 2020 is in the bass. When I first compared the SE and OG, I heard the same difference. The bass quantity has decreased but the bass quality has improved by providing more details or information. Where the 2020 shines over the OG is the increase in the details and in the size of the soundstage.

Finally the Solaris SE is my favorite with the NW-WM1Z. I think the combination of the WM1Z and DHC Clone Silver is overloading the high drivers and causing some top end harshness. Once I turn the volume down a couple of numbers (compared to the volume used with the OG and SE) the harshness goes away and reveals amazing details, a wide expansive soundstage and clean detailed bass. I find the SE has deeper bass than the 2020 but not as deep as the OG. So bassheads will prefer the OG. On good recordings, the SE sound is holographic and imersive.

So I find the Solaris 2020 is be a good upgrade over the OG by improving on the details and creating a larger soundstage. By also making the 2020 smaller it's more comfortable to wear and I can see how what went into it's design could be used to create a custom Solaris. So @KB when is the custom Solaris going to be available? Sign me up.
thnx for the detailed impressions, paints a very clear picture

May 31, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #516 of 1,217

Tracks listened to:

Solaris SE
Solaris 2020
Solaris OG

So the OG has the most bass presence in terms of quantity? I’ve never heard the OG but would have never guessed it had more than the 2020.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #518 of 1,217
C3AC7592-1A40-40F2-BED7-C747FA9BDBC9.jpeg

Listening time - a journey of discovery - together.

usually a few days of listening and note taking is written up more cleanly as a summary. But i thought i would turn the clock back a bit for something different.

I will be using a headphone switcher box for convenience with stock cables switched out to ALO Audio 3.5mm to 3.5mm. Its not 100% scientific or infallible - but it gets us some of the way there.

Starting with the iBasso DX220 with stock amp 1mk2.
(Changes are more noticeable when going down the chain than up with earphones and daps i find).

I will go through a random list of no particular songs, some i use for testing(Coldplay - sibilance), some because they are familiar to to others (Adele - Hello etc etc), some random (scroll and shuffle time) and of course some i like.

So doing this old school style. Real time, layman, stream of consciousness, subjective.
Music first.

I will keep on going until a pattern emerges. (later i will do a Andro 2020, Ara, Solaris 2020 version - and a Andro v1, v3, v4/2020).
->>>Solaris OG vs 2020 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-592#post-15638088

lets begin.

iBasso DX220 with stock amp 1mk2. Mid gain, Brick wall filter, Android side.
Mostly 16/41 FLAC
All earphones are using Final Audio Tips and stock Smokey Litz cables.
Every earphone has well over 100 hours on them. (10-
20 hours of listening on each + burn in).

*Apologies I do not have the MW10 as it was loaned to another reviewer months ago, when it comes back i will add it to the mix Andro Gold/MW10/Ara.

"lets roll!" and "on with the show"

Artist/song:Adele `Hello`
Andro Gold: Clear, coherent, noticeable bass, vocals just above the music. Soundstage: sphere around head.
Andro 2020: Lighter,- in more space/air, vocals more forward, less bass. Soundstage-sphere around head, controlled.
Ara: More defined, more bass than Andro 2020, vocals above the music. soundstage: height and width, forward prominent.

Artist/song: Massive Attack `exchange`
Andro Gold: Nice deep lower bass, atmospheric.
Andro 2020: Bass is lighter, a more gentle experience.
Ara: Seems to be a middle ground between the Gold and Andro 2020, enough bass, but controlled and not as much. I wish i had the MW10 at this point. delicate, technical without losing soul.

Artist/song: Coldplay `Don`t panic`
Andro Gold: Full bodied sound, still has the veer off into too brightness Coldplay has, vocals have the signature sibilance at times.
Andro 2020: The Andro 2020 seems more at peace with Coldplay. They complement each other.
Ara: (thats a short song, had to restart). Similar to Andro 2020 but seems to be more dynamic, mids?

Artist/song: Die Antwood `Never le Nkemise`
Andro Gold: Bass and vocals.
Andro 2020: Tamed the track down a bit.
Ara: the Ara coped best with this difficult track.
*not the best test track?

Artist/song: The Verve `Bitter sweet symphony`
Andro Gold: Too bassy for this track.
Andro 2020: Nicely balanced, fits the track well. Slightly subdued.
Ara: Adds space and energy to bring it more alive (need to check Solaris 2020 with this track).
Solaris 2020: a bit of a diversion. Nice and full, maybe a tad too much bass for some.

Artist/song: David Bowie ` Queen Bitch`
Andro Gold: Peaceful. too much low end for this track.
Andro 2020: Seems a great match for vocals and guitar,
Ara: The technicalities and articulation aren`t the best match for this track. too revealing for a 70s track? Certainly revealing.

Artist/song: Smashing Pumpkins `1979`
Andro Gold: Nice energy, underlying driving drums.
Andro 2020: laid back, smooth, nice and even - how i like it.
Ara: Quite enjoyable, too revealing at the soaring parts.
* I did not like soaring parts - seemed too busy at times.

Artist/song: Iggy and the Stooges `Gimme Danger`
Andro Gold: Atmospheric, a medium match. driving due to the bass.
Andro 2020: kindergarten Iggy, a bit too polite.
Ara: Ooh this is more like it. Solid vocals, thundering guitars, coherent. Controlled.

Artist/song: PJ Harvey `a place like home`
Andro Gold: Nice and full, lacking some definition.
Andro 2020: Nicely balanced, good treble.
Ara: Nicely balanced, more revealing. Ref.tech.

Artist/song: Richard Ashcroft `A song for the lovers`
Andro Gold: Good, but the emphasis on the low end does match the tracks design.
Andro 2020: Nice, adds that rising emotional feeling, a bit thin.
Ara: Noticing the sub bass at times on this one. seems a good match

quick break time....

Moving onto the familiar FiiO M11
Sharp roll off filter, low gain
FLAC 16/41

Artist/song: Nirvana `about a girl`
Andro Gold: Tonality is decent,
Andro 2020: A lighter touch, still enjoyable.
Ara: Fairly linear, less mids than the Andro 2020

Changed to High gain.

Artist/song: Slayer `Angel of Death`
Andro Gold: Nice low and high end, needs more lower mids.
Andro 2020: . More mids fill it out. a good match.
Ara: Driving. handles the song well. linear. A bit lighter sound.

Artist/song: Chemical Brothers `Asleep from the day`
Andro Gold: Beautiful, captures Hopes vocals beautifully.
Andro 2020: Lighter, vocals lose some body. more ethereal.
Ara: Linear. reference.

Artist/song: Massive Attack `Air`
Andro Gold: Its ok. a bit linear (with bass), go figure.
Andro 2020: A bit more atmosphere and listening enjoyment. Coherent.
Ara: Lacks a certain sense of emotion

Artist/song: Nina Simone `Beautiful land`
Andro Gold: Beautiful vocals, strings and wind instruments are vibrant.
Andro 2020: Fairly balanced, but lacks that low end body and warmth that makes the track sing.
Ara: Reference sound, enjoyable. like the andro 2020, but the Gold just crowns it.

Artist/song: The Smiths `Bigmouth strikes again`
Andro Gold: Sounds like The Smiths
Andro 2020: Sounds like The Smiths but more vibrant.
Ara: Fairly even. no ups or downs. Naturally reference.

Artist/song: Lana Del Rey `Black Beauty`
Andro Gold: Fantastic, tonality right for my ears. Smooth with depth and emotional highs.
Andro 2020: Same as above, but slightly subdued.
Ara: Same same samsies...but just more referenc-y

Artist/song: Dire Straits `Brothers in Arms
Andro Gold: Not sure if Dire Straits need a low end.
Andro 2020: A slight tilt in the mids.
Ara: Its Dire Straits! Perfect.

FiiO M11 is more towards the light end, DX160 has more body.

Changing to iBasso DX160.
Gain high, Fast roll off filter.
FLAC mostly 16/41.

Artist/song: Billie Eilish `Bad guy`
Andro Gold: Pumping strong clear bass, could be too much at times.
Andro 2020: Beautifully enveloping, seems to like a slight mids warmth.
Ara: Nice deep controlled bass, nicely balanced between instruments and vocals.

Artist/song: Beethoven - Cello sonata No.3 in A major., Op 69.III.
Andro Gold: OK. But a bit dark.
Andro 2020: Acceptable, but a bit light
Ara: Perfect.

Artist/song:
Andro Gold: Good.
Andro 2020: I like this one.
Ara: This is also good. enough bass but the in between string and beats parts are enjoyable.

Artist/song: Norah Jones `Come away with me` *testers classic,...sorry no Krall.
Andro Gold: Quite delicious deep and rich.
Andro 2020: A bit light, vocals more forward.
Ara: A good balance between the three.

Artist/song: Gnarls Barkley `Crazy`
Andro Gold: Boom boom boom, that driving beat comes alive.
Andro 2020: Subdued, more even.
Ara: A bit more high end, retains decent bass.
*hard pressed to find a winner with this track.

Artist/song: Morcheeba `Crimson`
Andro Gold: Silky vocals with clear full bass.
Andro 2020: loses that full on low end that makes Morcheeba shine.
Ara: A nice balance between the three IEMs.

- Lunch break -

Artist/song:Elton John `Don`t let the sun go down on me`
Andro Gold: Sounds like Elton John, tonality is good.
Andro 2020: Same, but less low end.
Ara: Same, more extension in the highs, more `space`.

Artist/song: The Beatles `Eleanor Rigby (Stereo)`
Andro Gold: Ok. Good. not as suited to this track as the other two.
Andro 2020: Adds a little something something, timbre is good, what some term `musical`.
Ara: Clear, coherent, tonality is correct.

Artist/song: The Cardigans `Erase and rewind`
Andro Gold: Exactly as i would like to hear, deep bass, full sound, clear vocals. Perfect.
Andro 2020: As above, but a bit more even.
Ara: Clear and linear, lacking a deep low end. bass is still present and tight - not as deep as Gold.

Artist/song: Mazzy Star `Fade into you`
Andro Gold: Bass
Andro 2020: Lighter
Ara: In the middle

Artist/song: The Pixies `Gigantic`
Andro Gold: ? Too much treble?
Andro 2020: Ok, but suits more linear?
Ara: I think the Ara is more controlled for The Pixies, ad the linear suits their loud/quiet, fast/slow style.

Changing to Apple ipod touch 6G
Using Flacplayer app by Dan Leehr. 16/41 mostly.

I am curious about this...

Artist/song: Hole `awful`
Andro Gold: Pleasant, Seems underpowered.
Andro 2020: More bearable - but still thin.
Ara: Seems to work as it more linear/reference.

Artist/song: The Jesus and Marychain `Perfume`
Andro Gold: iPod does not handle all the bass at times, early on was good, but did not let the treble shine.
Andro 2020: Good. A bit overly upper bass and lower mids warm.
Ara: Quite acceptable. natural. Tonally good.

Artist/song: Cat power `The greatest`.
Andro Gold: Nicely balanced and dreamy.
Andro 2020: A nice middle ground between Gold and Ara on this track.
Ara: fairly even and reference.

Artist/song: The wind and the wave `Chandelier`
Andro Gold: A good match between dap and earphone on this track.
Andro 2020: Warm, even.
Ara: Lightness, clarity, even.

- OK. Thats enough of that one. I feel i am dealing more with the ipod than the music/earphones.

F90E978D-6C88-4733-AABC-ABCD192CA339.jpeg

Next

I was going to use the Opus#2 dap to `complete the circle` but its output impedance is 2ohms SE (close to 6G i should have used the iFi Audio IEMatch), so I am going to use the DX200 with stock amp1 to keep a continuity of sorts of 1ohm or under.

iBasso DX200 and stock amp1.
FLAC 16/41 again (mostly).

Artist/song: Nick Cave and PJ Harvey `Henry Lee`
Andro Gold: Lovely, full bodied, detailed, smooth.
Andro 2020: As above with less bass.
Ara: Clear, detailed, extended and lots of space and separation.

Artist/song: Metallica `Here comes revenge`
Andro Gold: If you like more bass.
Andro 2020: If you like more `body`
Ara: If you like more detail.

Artist/song: The Chemical Brothers `Hey boy, hey girl`
Andro Gold: too dark
Andro 2020: A good middle point
Ara: More separation and detail. Head nodding (i should have noted earlier...)

Artist/song: Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No.3, Opus 36 (detail)
Andro Gold: Subdued.
Andro 2020: Enveloping.
Ara: Articulate.

Artist/song: Led Zeppelin `Whole lotta love`
Andro Gold:
Andro 2020:
Ara: I liked this one. Gave a certain clarity and coherence.

Artist/song: Led Zeppelin `Immigrant song`
Andro Gold: Has that driving bass guitar and drums this song needs.
Andro 2020: Middle ground, but Gold nails this track.
Ara: Needs more phat bass

Artist/song: Radiohead `My iron lung`
Andro Gold: full on
Andro 2020: laid back
Ara: dynamic, layered, detailed, good imaging.,

Artist/song: Beck `Already dead`
Andro Gold: Relaxed. Nice tonality, low end and air.
Andro 2020: Relaxed. W sig at times.
Ara: more air brings the song alive. Great song for the Solaris also.

Artist/song: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (A star is born) @Shallow`
Andro Gold: Absolutely brilliant. Chills.
Andro 2020: beautiful. As above with mids. Less bass.
Ara: Reference dap/amp with reference IEMs. Wow! Not sure if the Gold or Ara for this track.

Artist/song: Jeff Buckley `Hallelujah`
Andro Gold: Intimate. Close. extension.
Andro 2020: Gorgeous. luscious mids and divine vocals. Space and air.
Ara: Wonderous. really can capture every note. Even.

———————————————

Ok. at this point I am beginning to mentally flatline after 4+ hours.

*I will probably use these with iBasso DX220 with Amp8ex and a 4.4mm balanced cable most of the time.

*I will leave people with these notes to sort through and add a summary of my thoughts later on.

fSzX6qhd3GuoeXvNK2SIe4mM9rSJblh4pzuiXfV41BPIRsKxYbEm3btx379iYpQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solaris 2020vs Solaris OG Gold was posted a few says back in the Solaris thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-592#post-15638088

Andromeda V1 vs V3 here:
https://www.headpie.net/2019/05/campfire-audio-andromeda-v3-review.html?m=1
(Andromeda V4 is the 2020 edition).
So if you want to compare notes.
-I will do a proper comparison later on.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #519 of 1,217
C3AC7592-1A40-40F2-BED7-C747FA9BDBC9.jpeg

Listening time - a journey of discovery - together.

usually a few days of listening and note taking is written up more cleanly as a summary. But i thought i would turn the clock back a bit for something different.

I will be using a headphone switcher box for convenience with stock cables switched out to ALO Audio 3.5mm to 3.5mm. Its not 100% scientific or infallible - but it gets us some of the way there.

Starting with the iBasso DX220 with stock amp 1mk2.
(Changes are more noticeable when going down the chain than up with earphones and daps i find).

I will go through a random list of no particular songs, some i use for testing(Coldplay - sibilance), some because they are familiar to to others (Adele - Hello etc etc), some random (scroll and shuffle time) and of course some i like.

So doing this old school style. Real time, layman, stream of consciousness, subjective.
Music first.

I will keep on going until a pattern emerges. (later i will do a Andro 2020, Ara, Solaris 2020 version - and a Andro v1, v3, v4/2020).

lets begin.

iBasso DX220 with stock amp 1mk2. Mid gain, Brick wall filter, Android side.
Mostly 16/41 FLAC
All earphones are using Final Audio Tips and stock Smokey Litz cables.
Every earphone has well over 100 hours on them. (10-
20 hours of listening on each + burn in).

*Apologies I do not have the MW10 as it was loaned to another reviewer months ago, when it comes back i will add it to the mix Andro Gold/MW10/Ara.

"lets roll!" and "on with the show"

Artist/song:Adele `Hello`
Andro Gold: Clear, coherent, noticeable bass, vocals just above the music. Soundstage: sphere around head.
Andro 2020: Lighter,- in more space/air, vocals more forward, less bass. Soundstage-sphere around head, controlled.
Ara: More defined, more bass than Andro 2020, vocals above the music. soundstage: height and width, forward prominent.

Artist/song: Massive Attack `exchange`
Andro Gold: Nice deep lower bass, atmospheric.
Andro 2020: Bass is lighter, a more gentle experience.
Ara: Seems to be a middle ground between the Gold and Andro 2020, enough bass, but controlled and not as much. I wish i had the MW10 at this point. delicate, technical without losing soul.

Artist/song: Coldplay `Don`t panic`
Andro Gold: Full bodied sound, still has the veer off into too brightness Coldplay has, vocals have the signature sibilance at times.
Andro 2020: The Andro 2020 seems more at peace with Coldplay. They complement each other.
Ara: (thats a short song, had to restart). Similar to Andro 2020 but seems to be more dynamic, mids?

Artist/song: Die Antwood `Never le Nkemise`
Andro Gold: Bass and vocals.
Andro 2020: Tamed the track down a bit.
Ara: the Ara coped best with this difficult track.
*not the best test track?

Artist/song: The Verve `Bitter sweet symphony`
Andro Gold: Too bassy for this track.
Andro 2020: Nicely balanced, fits the track well. Slightly subdued.
Ara: Adds space and energy to bring it more alive (need to check Solaris 2020 with this track).
Solaris 2020: a bit of a diversion. Nice and full, maybe a tad too much bass for some.

Artist/song: David Bowie ` Queen Bitch`
Andro Gold: Peaceful. too much low end for this track.
Andro 2020: Seems a great match for vocals and guitar,
Ara: The technicalities and articulation aren`t the best match for this track. too revealing for a 70s track? Certainly revealing.

Artist/song: Smashing Pumpkins `1979`
Andro Gold: Nice energy, underlying driving drums.
Andro 2020: laid back, smooth, nice and even - how i like it.
Ara: Quite enjoyable, too revealing at the soaring parts.
* I did not like soaring parts - seemed too busy at times.

Artist/song: Iggy and the Stooges `Gimme Danger`
Andro Gold: Atmospheric, a medium match. driving due to the bass.
Andro 2020: kindergarten Iggy, a bit too polite.
Ara: Ooh this is more like it. Solid vocals, thundering guitars, coherent. Controlled.

Artist/song: PJ Harvey `a place like home`
Andro Gold: Nice and full, lacking some definition.
Andro 2020: Nicely balanced, good treble.
Ara: Nicely balanced, more revealing. Ref.tech.

Artist/song: Richard Ashcroft `A song for the lovers`
Andro Gold: Good, but the emphasis on the low end does match the tracks design.
Andro 2020: Nice, adds that rising emotional feeling, a bit thin.
Ara: Noticing the sub bass at times on this one. seems a good match

quick break time....

Moving onto the familiar FiiO M11
Sharp roll off filter, low gain
FLAC 16/41

Artist/song: Nirvana `about a girl`
Andro Gold: Tonality is decent,
Andro 2020: A lighter touch, still enjoyable.
Ara: Fairly linear, less mids than the Andro 2020

Changed to High gain.

Artist/song: Slayer `Angel of Death`
Andro Gold: Nice low and high end, needs more lower mids.
Andro 2020: . More mids fill it out. a good match.
Ara: Driving. handles the song well. linear. A bit lighter sound.

Artist/song: Chemical Brothers `Asleep from the day`
Andro Gold: Beautiful, captures Hopes vocals beautifully.
Andro 2020: Lighter, vocals lose some body. more ethereal.
Ara: Linear. reference.

Artist/song: Massive Attack `Air`
Andro Gold: Its ok. a bit linear (with bass), go figure.
Andro 2020: A bit more atmosphere and listening enjoyment. Coherent.
Ara: Lacks a certain sense of emotion

Artist/song: Nina Simone `Beautiful land`
Andro Gold: Beautiful vocals, strings and wind instruments are vibrant.
Andro 2020: Fairly balanced, but lacks that low end body and warmth that makes the track sing.
Ara: Reference sound, enjoyable. like the andro 2020, but the Gold just crowns it.

Artist/song: The Smiths `Bigmouth strikes again`
Andro Gold: Sounds like The Smiths
Andro 2020: Sounds like The Smiths but more vibrant.
Ara: Fairly even. no ups or downs. Naturally reference.

Artist/song: Lana Del Rey `Black Beauty`
Andro Gold: Fantastic, tonality right for my ears. Smooth with depth and emotional highs.
Andro 2020: Same as above, but slightly subdued.
Ara: Same same samsies...but just more referenc-y

Artist/song: Dire Straits `Brothers in Arms
Andro Gold: Not sure if Dire Straits need a low end.
Andro 2020: A slight tilt in the mids.
Ara: Its Dire Straits! Perfect.

FiiO M11 is more towards the light end, DX160 has more body.

Changing to iBasso DX160.
Gain high, Fast roll off filter.
FLAC mostly 16/41.

Artist/song: Billie Eilish `Bad guy`
Andro Gold: Pumping strong clear bass, could be too much at times.
Andro 2020: Beautifully enveloping, seems to like a slight mids warmth.
Ara: Nice deep controlled bass, nicely balanced between instruments and vocals.

Artist/song: Beethoven - Cello sonata No.3 in A major., Op 69.III.
Andro Gold: OK. But a bit dark.
Andro 2020: Acceptable, but a bit light
Ara: Perfect.

Artist/song:
Andro Gold: Good.
Andro 2020: I like this one.
Ara: This is also good. enough bass but the in between string and beats parts are enjoyable.

Artist/song: Norah Jones `Come away with me` *testers classic,...sorry no Krall.
Andro Gold: Quite delicious deep and rich.
Andro 2020: A bit light, vocals more forward.
Ara: A good balance between the three.

Artist/song: Gnarls Barkley `Crazy`
Andro Gold: Boom boom boom, that driving beat comes alive.
Andro 2020: Subdued, more even.
Ara: A bit more high end, retains decent bass.
*hard pressed to find a winner with this track.

Artist/song: Morcheeba `Crimson`
Andro Gold: Silky vocals with clear full bass.
Andro 2020: loses that full on low end that makes Morcheeba shine.
Ara: A nice balance between the three IEMs.

- Lunch break -

Artist/song:Elton John `Don`t let the sun go down on me`
Andro Gold: Sounds like Elton John, tonality is good.
Andro 2020: Same, but less low end.
Ara: Same, more extension in the highs, more `space`.

Artist/song: The Beatles `Eleanor Rigby (Stereo)`
Andro Gold: Ok. Good. not as suited to this track as the other two.
Andro 2020: Adds a little something something, timbre is good, what some term `musical`.
Ara: Clear, coherent, tonality is correct.

Artist/song: The Cardigans `Erase and rewind`
Andro Gold: Exactly as i would like to hear, deep bass, full sound, clear vocals. Perfect.
Andro 2020: As above, but a bit more even.
Ara: Clear and linear, lacking a deep low end. bass is still present and tight - not as deep as Gold.

Artist/song: Mazzy Star `Fade into you`
Andro Gold: Bass
Andro 2020: Lighter
Ara: In the middle

Artist/song: The Pixies `Gigantic`
Andro Gold: ? Too much treble?
Andro 2020: Ok, but suits more linear?
Ara: I think the Ara is more controlled for The Pixies, ad the linear suits their loud/quiet, fast/slow style.

Changing to Apple ipod touch 6G
Using Flacplayer app by Dan Leehr. 16/41 mostly.

I am curious about this...

Artist/song: Hole `awful`
Andro Gold: Pleasant, Seems underpowered.
Andro 2020: More bearable - but still thin.
Ara: Seems to work as it more linear/reference.

Artist/song: The Jesus and Marychain `Perfume`
Andro Gold: iPod does not handle all the bass at times, early on was good, but did not let the treble shine.
Andro 2020: Good. A bit overly upper bass and lower mids warm.
Ara: Quite acceptable. natural. Tonally good.

Artist/song: Cat power `The greatest`.
Andro Gold: Nicely balanced and dreamy.
Andro 2020: A nice middle ground between Gold and Ara on this track.
Ara: fairly even and reference.

Artist/song: The wind and the wave `Chandelier`
Andro Gold: A good match between dap and earphone on this track.
Andro 2020: Warm, even.
Ara: Lightness, clarity, even.

- OK. Thats enough of that one. I feel i am dealing more with the ipod than the music/earphones.

F90E978D-6C88-4733-AABC-ABCD192CA339.jpeg

Next

I was going to use the Opus#2 dap to `complete the circle` but its output impedance is 2ohms SE (close to 6G i should have used the iFi Audio IEMatch), so I am going to use the DX200 with stock amp1 to keep a continuity of sorts of 1ohm or under.

iBasso DX200 and stock amp1.
FLAC 16/41 again (mostly).

Artist/song: Nick Cave and PJ Harvey `Henry Lee`
Andro Gold: Lovely, full bodied, detailed, smooth.
Andro 2020: As above with less bass.
Ara: Clear, detailed, extended and lots of space and separation.

Artist/song: Metallica `Here comes revenge`
Andro Gold: If you like more bass.
Andro 2020: If you like more `body`
Ara: If you like more detail.

Artist/song: The Chemical Brothers `Hey boy, hey girl`
Andro Gold: too dark
Andro 2020: A good middle point
Ara: More separation and detail. Head nodding (i should have noted earlier...)

Artist/song: Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No.3, Opus 36 (detail)
Andro Gold: Subdued.
Andro 2020: Enveloping.
Ara: Articulate.

Artist/song: Led Zeppelin `Whole lotta love`
Andro Gold:
Andro 2020:
Ara: I liked this one. Gave a certain clarity and coherence.

Artist/song: Led Zeppelin `Immigrant song`
Andro Gold: Has that driving bass guitar and drums this song needs.
Andro 2020: Middle ground, but Gold nails this track.
Ara: Needs more phat bass

Artist/song: Radiohead `My iron lung`
Andro Gold: full on
Andro 2020: laid back
Ara: dynamic, layered, detailed, good imaging.,

Artist/song: Beck `Already dead`
Andro Gold: Relaxed. Nice tonality, low end and air.
Andro 2020: Relaxed. W sig at times.
Ara: more air brings the song alive. Great song for the Solaris also.

Artist/song: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (A star is born) @Shallow`
Andro Gold: Absolutely brilliant. Chills.
Andro 2020: beautiful. As above with mids. Less bass.
Ara: Reference dap/amp with reference IEMs. Wow! Not sure if the Gold or Ara for this track.

Artist/song: Jeff Buckley `Hallelujah`
Andro Gold: Intimate. Close. extension.
Andro 2020: Gorgeous. luscious mids and divine vocals. Space and air.
Ara: Wonderous. really can capture every note. Even.

———————————————

Ok. at this point I am beginning to mentally flatline after 4+ hours.

*I will probably use these with iBasso DX220 with Amp8ex and a 4.4mm balanced cable most of the time.

*I will leave people with these notes to sort through and add a summary of my thoughts later on.

fSzX6qhd3GuoeXvNK2SIe4mM9rSJblh4pzuiXfV41BPIRsKxYbEm3btx379iYpQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solaris 2020vs Solaris OG Gold was posted a few pages back.

Andromeda V1 vs V3 here:
https://www.headpie.net/2019/05/campfire-audio-andromeda-v3-review.html?m=1
(Andromeda V4 is the 2020 edition).
So if you want to compare notes.
-I will do a proper comparison later on.

Brilliant hard work and easily relatable, thanks a bunch @ExpatinJapan !!!

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #520 of 1,217
Brilliant hard work and easily relatable, thanks a bunch @ExpatinJapan !!!

thanks its a bit of a puzzle without a final piece. (Summary).

i have it in my mind - but thought others might have fun with the information first.

paint their own mental picture in a way.

————————————
The structure takes me back...
When i was doing a lot of ATH buying and testing and early dac amps...2013?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-audio-technica-ath-esw11ltd.631719/page-23#post-9471082
(Probably more in the thread.

BF3BB33D-BC4D-4DD1-B48B-CF71A7DBA200.jpeg

<<<2013 testing. ATH-ESW11 vs ATH-ES10 (with ESW11 pads), Centrance Hifi-M8 and Flacplayer app by Dan Leehr.

BE0AF45C-0C58-4A8A-94D0-70E59A3342AA.png

ATH-ESW11 vs ATH-ESW9, Fostex hp_p1

C2D1E0CD-8ECC-45DF-8E8E-EF544B316F4A.png

Anyway - apologies for the detour down Head-fi memory lane...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #521 of 1,217

Tracks listened to:

Solaris SE
Solaris 2020
Solaris OG

If you don't mind — how do you find the Solaris 2020 compared to the Andromeda Gold?

After reading @ExpatinJapan 's notes comparing the Andromeda, Andromeda Gold and Ara, I’m torn in-between giving a shot to the Ara and use as them as a complement to the Gold knowing that the Gold will likely take 80%+ of the listening sessions or... getting the Solaris 2020 as a replacement to the Andromeda Gold — which I must say I love to bits.

I'm looking for something which will suite all genres (I find the Gold to sometimes, but just sometimes, struggle with some classical / complex tracks).

P.S. Nice playlist btw…

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #522 of 1,217
If you don't mind — how do you find the Solaris 2020 compared to the Andromeda Gold?

After reading @ExpatinJapan 's notes comparing the Andromeda, Andromeda Gold and Ara, I’m torn in-between giving a shot to the Ara and use as them as a complement to the Gold knowing that the Gold will likely take 80%+ of the listening sessions or... getting the Solaris 2020 as a replacement to the Andromeda Gold — which I must say I love to bits.

I'm looking for something which will suite all genres (I find the Gold to sometimes, but just sometimes, struggle with some classical / complex tracks).

P.S. Nice playlist btw…
I'll compare the Andromeda Gold to the Solaris 2020 tonight.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #524 of 1,217
Thank you 🙏😊
I also posted my own impressions comparing the Solaris 2020 to the Andromeda gold a bit back either in this thread or over in the dedicated Solaris thread.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #525 of 1,217

Users who are viewing this thread

Back