Campfire Audio Lyra II, Dorado, Vega?
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

teecee5

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Hey fellow Headfiers,

I want to switch away from my CIEM Custom Art Ei.XX, since I want something universal and more durable.
I really loved the Sound from the CustomArt Ei.xx, but overall I want to switch back to universals.

a few years ago I already had an eye onto Campfire Audio, incredible design and quality, and the vega and dorado seemed very promising.

Jeah, all the mentioned IEMs range from 250€ up to 1200€, primarily its about: "is the noble x enough? rather spend a few 100€ more for the incredible quality from CA? Or is it really worth it to go 1000€ for the Dorado or Vega?"

Before starting, what exactly am I looking for? Generally the Soundsignature from the Ei.XX, but with more slam, that are generally known from Dynamic Drivers. Shortened Soundsignature description from twister6 review:

With hours of careful listening, I found Ei.xx to have a smooth detailed sound with organic tonality and enhanced low end impact which contributes to a slightly v-shaped signature. Here is my sound analysis in more details.

[..] Ei.xx low end is very articulate, tight, well controlled, with a deep textured sub-bass rumble that is not just great in quality but also in quantity, and at the same time perfectly balanced with a fast mid-bass punch. In this case I'm “hearing” low end performance like a hybrid combination typical of dynamic driver longer decay (down in sub-bass area) and a fast BA punch with a short attack (in accentuated mid-bass). There is a very slight bleed into lower mids, but it doesn't contribute to any muddiness. With such attention to low end details I don't want people to think Ei.xx is a basshead CIEM, but for sure it will be highly appreciated by anybody who craves high quality articulate bass impact. If you are a fan of SE846 and UM Pro 50 bass - Ei.xx will be not just your cup of tea, but the whole kettle!!!

Lower mids presence is not too thin or too thick, sharing a little bit of warmth from the low end which adds some body to a sound. Upper mids are smooth, detailed, and very organic. They are not analytical or micro-detailed, but they do have a good level of clear detail retrieval while still remaining smooth and natural, especially with vocals (both male and female) that shine through with a clean timbre. [..]

[..] Treble is smooth and detailed, not extra crisp or super "hi-def" extended, and also lacking some airiness. But at the same time it has a rather good definition, and absolutely NO sibilance [..].

I liked that the Ei.XX had no sibilance, since im often very sensible. I also liked that the overall sound seemed "warm but not muffled/dark/muddy".
The bass was good, I am kinda a Basshead, but I would like more punch.

The Noble X seems very promising, but some reviews say that the highs are a little too less (or even vocal sibilance?), and maybe the build quality is not a huge upgrade, espescially considering maybe investing into Campfire Audios IEMS. I dont know, the Noble X seems not a good buy compared to the other choices, on the other Hand I could get it from second hand for only about 150-170€.

The Lyra II seems a very good price perf IEM, but also, some say that they have also sibilance.

The Dorado seems to be the best IEM, Hybrid IEMs, DD deliver the slam, and the BA Drivers the clarity and (not sibilant) mids and highs. But they are not on stock anymore, not sure wether they will be. So only available from second hand market..

Or do I really have to break my bank and go for the vega? What do I get more compared to Lyra II or Polaris / Dorado?
How to the Bass compare between all these IEMs?
What are your experiences with the sibilance on those IEMs?
Hows the Build Quality on the Noble X?
Or any other differences between the IEMs that come into your mind?
At best I would like to keep it under 600-700€, but I would most likely buy them second hand.

(and yes, I already read the reviews on headfi, and currently reading through the Vega Dorado Lyra thread, but maybe someone can give a comparison :))

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 21
I bought the Noble X when they first came out and I wasn't very impressed.
HOWEVER I could never get a good fit so that probably was a big part of that.
I do own the Vega's and they are outstanding, especially regarding bass which everyone goes on about.
For a fair bit less money I'd recommend the CA Jupiters.
I actually prefer my Jupiters over the Vega's overall and for me, the bass hits just as deep.

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 21
Jupiter wouldnt fit my ears most likely anyways (sadly)

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 21
Ic, I was gonna recommend andromeda, but since you unfortunately cant wear them comfortably...

Also I would prefer the vega over the andromeda (as far what I have read about it), and the vega is even cheaper

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 21
Oct 1, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 21
Back to topic, I havent tried the noble x myself, but I own noble savanna and have tried most noble and campfire products (my school is really close to the local distributor) ( I havent tried noble sage, noble dulce bass and campfire Dorado, unfortunately).
I will say Vega is really different from all products from noble(at least those I tried).

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 21
Vega has a warm signature. Very powerful bass, and an exciting high.
Most of the noble products I tried have a relatively neutral to bright signature.
So I think what sound signature you prefer is the factor of getting the vega or noble product.

Edit: just remember that one noble product has a warm sound signature, and it is the kaiser encore brass edition. It is neutral to warm.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 21
Okay, then its rather the question how much I have to invest. Lyra II, Dorado (2nd Hand) or all the way to vega. :)

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 21
But I dont know much about Dorado, from what I know, it should have a similar bass with lyra ii.
But overall, I would say vega is still better than Dorado, as vega should overall have a better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back