Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 23, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #9,541 of 9,829
I feel like a pair of Honeydew would be a decent addition to my stable of IEM’s, purely for the bass-centric sound and the perceived “ruggedness” of the shell. I kinda feel strange/wreckless/debauched when I use Solaris 2020 and/or ARA for my daily listening which often includes activities like exercise/Peloton/bicycle riding.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #9,542 of 9,829
Dorado ...more neutral sound.

This is my enduring perception, as paradoxical as it seems relative to some of the reputation it has. It's not really a v-shaped IEM-- more a W.

Peaky treble (as well as a bloomy mid-bass region) were the deal breakers for me with Atlas and this region of Honeydew's graph is the only thing that's given me pause about it so far. I can't wait until mine arrives :)

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #9,543 of 9,829
This is my enduring perception, as paradoxical as it seems relative to some of the reputation it has. It's not really a v-shaped IEM-- more a W.

Peaky treble (as well as a bloomy mid-bass region) were the deal breakers for me with Atlas and this region of Honeydew's graph is the only thing that's given me pause about it so far. I can't wait until mine arrives :)

looking forward to your impressions bro!

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #9,545 of 9,829
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #9,546 of 9,829
PXL_20210623_193808894.jpg

Honeydew has arrived.

First impressions are BASS

But a little more seriously, these are incredibly bassy and almost certainly will not be everyone's cup of tea. Mids and treble are presented quite nicely though and they are super lightweight and comfortable. I would characterize these as a very uneven v shape... Almost like a backwards checkmark.

As per @ryanjsoo (I think), covering the bass port makes them immediately much more flat and even. It's a small hole but I do wonder if there's some modding potential there to tweak the bass down without completely flattening it.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #9,547 of 9,829
Honeydew has arrived.

But a little more seriously, these are incredibly bassy and almost certainly will not be everyone's cup of tea. Mids and treble are presented quite nicely though and they are super lightweight and comfortable. I would characterize these as a very uneven v shape... Almost like a backwards checkmark.

As per @ryanjsoo (I think), covering the bass port makes them immediately much more flat and even. It's a small hole but I do wonder if there's some modding potential there to tweak the bass down without completely flattening it.

Thanks for your take on these. I suspected that CA's introductory IEMs will be tuned to please newcomers to the hobby, so bassy sound isn't a surprise :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #9,548 of 9,829
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #9,549 of 9,829
looking forward to your impressions bro!

Hopefully early next week :D

Honeydew has arrived.

Any "from memory" comparisons with Atlas you could muster up?

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #9,550 of 9,829

I think if I had to place them... I would likely stick them somewhere between Vega and atlas in terms of treble response. A little more zing than Vega but not quite as sharp as atlas. They present as extremely warm and still somewhat smooth without feeling totally rolled off in the treble.

They might however actually be bassier than both, maybe. And the bass here is rather boomy and probably not quite as tight as either. And I think some might find it bleeds up into the mids, or at least they may seem to slightly overpower them to a degree.

All of that with the very obvious caveat that I haven't had the atlas now for quite some time and the Vega for significantly longer.

I think as with a lot of campfire releases since the Andromeda, they are going to divisive. And anyone seeking balance/neutrality should definitely look elsewhere.

But... While that all may sound kind of negative, they are still a lot of fun to listen to. Assuming you like bass. If too much is not your thing, these could be very fatiguing.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #9,551 of 9,829

Honeydew has arrived.

Awesome!

Re the vent, for sure room to mess around. I'll put the method from my review here:

You can also experiment with celophane tape, using a needle to reduce the vent size, but not block completely, in order to attenuate bass to a lesser degree.

I didn’t attempt this for the review as I found it difficult to achieve identical results on both earpieces and it would be unfair to assess this earphone with channel imbalance.

Thanks, they seem to be the only ones having them in stock in Europe for now.

Has anyone compared the Honeydew with the OG Vega? I'd like to know which ones are bassier. I like the way the Vega sound but their fit isn't the best for me so I don't use them often. Honeydew seem like a better fit like the Andromeda.

Yep, OG Vega is more a little less bassy and has a cleaner tone and a brighter sound. In particular, it has a large 8k peak which opens up its presentation but is considered harsh by some. The bass is similarly tuned, a few dB more forward on Honeydew. The OG Vega sounds more controlled to me, it is a more technically impressive earphone. The Vega also has a bit more vocal push in its midrange albeit not by much. Combined with its brighter treble, it comes across as more of an aggressive V-shaped sound while the Honeydew is more L-shaped with bass in greater proportion than its treble. I don't think the Honeydew provides a direct successor to the Vega nor the Vega 2020. Perhaps the Atlas is its nearest relative with simultaneously big bass and big treble.

Hey, I compared to the Atlas in my review, hope I'm not spamming this thread here:

The Atlas offers a more balanced, U-shaped sound with a bigger push in the treble and midrange to compensate for its big bass. It has similar bass extension but a little less sub-bass focus, sounding more linear. The Atlas has a sharper cut into its lower-midrange, sounding tonally cleaner. It has immediately better control and definition, higher dynamics. In particular, its note attack is much sharper, but decay is faster also, so separation is improved despite similar emphasis. The midrange is also much more present, only being slightly recessed. It has more separation and greater clarity. Similarly, it is articulate but compensated for by the warm, full bass.

With its sharper lower-mid cut, the Atlas has much more vocal definition than the Honeydew. The Honeydew is a bit more coherent in return and its treble especially isn’t as sharp. The Atlas has a much more focused and brighter treble. It is much more aggressively detailed but also much more detailed in general. The Atlas also has much better top-end extension, resolving more background detail. This aids its stage which is both larger and far more defined in terms of imaging. The bump in balance and separation further compounds upon these benefits. The price difference is huge but so too is the performance and tonal jump. The Honeydew does appeal more if you’d like greater bass focus and it is, to an extent, painted upon the same canvas with similar peaks.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #9,553 of 9,829
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #9,554 of 9,829
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...ion-with-campfire-audio.958379/#post-16424264

Definitely beautiful, but I'm curious about this - "The SOLARIS X is based on the popular Campfire Solaris 2020 IEM, but features a new custom Balanced Armature (BA) driver for high frequency response that was designed specifically for the AK SOLARIS X. This driver is smaller in size than the ones used in existing Solaris models. The new custom BA driver produces a more neutral response in comparison to the current Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 model."

I've been curious about the Solaris LE. I was kind of hoping for either the SE or LE tuning in the 2020 shell, but this definitely has my interest piqued.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #9,555 of 9,829
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...ion-with-campfire-audio.958379/#post-16424264

Definitely beautiful, but I'm curious about this - "The new custom BA driver produces a more neutral response in comparison to the current Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 model."

Interesting language. I never spent any real time with the 2020 but I know many who found the highs peaky...maybe this model remedies that.

I really love the color. I've always wanted a red IEM and would have bought the Io based on color alone if it was my type of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back