Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #8,643 of 9,825
I am currently using cheap (BLLQ) tips from Amazon (links below pic).

I have several types of tips, including Spiral Dots, which I use with Solaris. I do prefer Spiral Dots over the stock Campfire tips for Solaris, which got me wondering--why? The Spiral Dots do seem ever so slightly thicker--like they may be more rigid / hold their shape better. They're also shaped more like a sphere with the top / bottom trimmed off, whereas the Campfire tips are more bullet-shaped. I don't know if I believe in the sonic wonders of recessed dot patterns, but both the Campfire and Spiral Dot tips have relatively large openings, so maybe the whole key is simply maximizing potential airflow with as little tip material interfering as possible?

So that was the theory. And these cheapie tips, jammed down onto the stems almost as far as they'll go pretty much expose "the grill, the whole grill and nothing but the grill." As far as I'm concerned, the theory seems to be holding out--I like these as well as Spiral Dots. As a bonus, I've mixed and matched two styles for nifty color-coding.

49421554416_19c894f11f_c.jpg

RED: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K12ZFPM/
BLUE: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y7J7V53/

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #8,644 of 9,825
I've been thinking really hard of buying used Andromedas lately but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I saw some early 2016/2017 Andros for sale for around 500 to 570 euros. Is it worth it?
I recently bought a pair of Fiio FA7 which makes this decision quite tough.
I mainly use a Fiio M11 (using balanced outputs) for portable use. How does it pair with the original Andromeda? Should I worry about hiss?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #8,645 of 9,825
I am super happy with Andromeda Gold and Acoustune AET07 tips. Very good seal and comfort.
Thanks! Turns out I have those as well. I guess I'm all set in the tips department! :)

I'm currently demoing the CW10 in Japan. They sound reallllly good. I feel soundstage is a little wider than the OG. But since I ordered the Gold, not buying the CW10 (that and the insane price tag helps haha).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #8,646 of 9,825
I'm looking for a good DAP to pair with the Andromedas. I just returned the Fiio M11 Pro because I couldn't get over the horrible software. I've used the Pioneer XD-300R, but I didn't like how the Andros sounded with it.

Any suggestions? Probably $700 Max.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #8,647 of 9,825
I'm looking for a good DAP to pair with the Andromedas. I just returned the Fiio M11 Pro because I couldn't get over the horrible software. I've used the Pioneer XD-300R, but I didn't like how the Andros sounded with it.

A&K SR15 sounds great with the Andro. Black background, unlike a lot of other DAPs.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #8,649 of 9,825

A&K SR15 sounds great with the Andro. Black background, unlike a lot of other DAPs.

The SR15 predecessor ,AK70 MKII is pretty faultless too and a little cheaper

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #8,650 of 9,825

Sony ZX-300 or ZX-300A

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #8,651 of 9,825
Thanks! I'll look into it. Is it USB C charging and is the software good?
It's micro USB. The software is a lag-free version of Android, meaning that you can side load streaming apps, and it plays just about any format you want to throw at it.

It's on the smallish side and doesn't have the best battery life, around 4 hours, but I haven't really run the battery down with normal use.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #8,652 of 9,825
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #8,653 of 9,825

cheaper options include ibasso DX160 and cowon P2 mk1. If you can, get an ibasso dx220 used.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #8,655 of 9,825
Here're my experiences with the Andromeda Gold re: hiss:

I get quite a bit of hiss from them when I plugged them into my Chord Mojo (not unlike people's experiences in the standard, green Andro thread) – granted, Mojo's hiss is fairly faint and largely (if not completely) inaudible when music is playing.
- Cozoy Rei = ZERO hiss, AMAZING PAIRING
- HA-2SE = very minimal hiss, maybe at 1/5 of the level of the Mojo's hiss
- EarStudio ES100 MK2 = extremely minimal hiss, maybe at 1/10 of the level of the Mojo's hiss (note: my family hates me for my extremely sensitive ears, can literally hear like a hawk, would bet most of you couldn't even hear this).
- MacBook Pro 2018 15" headphone port = ZERO hiss, color me impressed
- Lightning-to-3.5mm dongle = extremely minimal hiss, maybe at 1/10 of the level of the Mojo's hiss

Just really weird because the Chord Mojo has an output impedance of 75 ohms, 0.075 ohms... whereas the Cozoy Rei I'm not sure about as all I can find is "Output voltage: 1 Vrms@32 OHM" on their website, head-fi, or anywhere else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back