Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #7,771 of 9,829
It's actually described underneath the options--and they do make a difference if not a LOT in some cases.

- DC Phase Linearizer: "makes the low-frequency phase characteristics of the player closer to a traditional analog amplifier" (to my ears: a rounder, less analytic sound);

- Vinyl Processor: "recreate the warm, rich playback of a record on a turntable" (to my ears: a bassier, warmer, less analytical sound).

Overall, to my ears, both options open-up things and add a little omph.

On Beryllium DDs (CA Cascade, Dunu Titan 6) I have them off.

On my BAs (CA Comet) I have them on.

That sounds like exactly what I want from listening to music! Thanks, I'll try it out on all 3 IEMs soon.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #7,772 of 9,829
Thank-you for these excellent and detailed early impressions. A comparison of Campfire's "big three" was just what I was hoping for.

the BA drivers don't quite cut the job for me for what I love in bass. Ironic but, I think I will be able to figure out which I end up liking as I listen to both more. However, what I can say now is, both of their basses extend very well (particularly the Solaris IMO), and while the bass is greater and packs a better punch than on the OG Andros, I can still understand (and hear) that the Andro Golds house BA driver bass and its bass might just not be to my liking.

This is just the information I was looking for. I'm deeply attached to DD bass and have yet to find an all BA setup that can fully satisfy me. The Solaris is a great all-rounder-- possibly the best on the market right now-- and I absolutely love its bass. That said I'm probably going to pick up an Atlas to keep on the side for those times when I want that extra bit of oomph. The Atlas, among other things, is amazing for classical-- surprisingly its low end serves it very well.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #7,773 of 9,829
That sounds like exactly what I want from listening to music! Thanks, I'll try it out on all 3 IEMs soon.

You likely won't need them for the Atlas you but you're likely not to go back from these on the OG Andromeda--very curious to read your opinion, especially on the Gold Andromeda.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #7,775 of 9,829
They actually don't sound as V-shaped to me as I thought it would! I do have a 4.4mm cable hooked up to my Shures right now, but I'll put them on my Gold Andros and try them out on some songs. I'll try to get back to you.
Currently, I use an IEMatch to reduce the hiss (it actually wasn't there at all to my ears when I use it), but when solely plugging it into my Hugo 2 it has noticeable hiss.

Thanks for the quick response. Really looking forward to your findings! I also have an IEMatch, but prefer not to use it.

Also, I noticed you are a new Head-Fier... welcome!

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #7,777 of 9,829
What would be the most affordable, portable source that might play nicely with the Andro Gold? Any opinions?

There have been many reports that the original Andro paired well with the Sony ZX300. I have not tried it, but do have a ZX300a and can see it being a good pairing having heard Andro in the past.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #7,779 of 9,829
There have been many reports that the original Andro paired well with the Sony ZX300. I have not tried it, but do have a ZX300a and can see it being a good pairing having heard Andro in the past.

He says while oh so casually bumping a for sale thread for the ZX300 :grin:

If I didn't already feel sick about the cost of the Gold itself I'd probably hit you up. I'll have to give my Pixel 3 a shot at driving them first.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #7,780 of 9,829
ZX2 & Andromeda OG is an excellent pairing. There’s a thread in the other forum extolling the virtues of this duo.

I too have heard that the ZX2 brings out the best on Andro. You can find them used for a decent price these days.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #7,781 of 9,829

If I didn't already feel sick about the cost of the Gold itself I'd probably hit you up. I'll have to give my Pixel 3 a shot at driving them first.

Ha... at least I didn't specifically refer you to my sale post! If it is any consolation, I bumped my sale post before reading and responding to your post here!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #7,782 of 9,829

I've had good results with a Dragonfly Cobalt and an iPod Touch 7G/iPhone. No hiss and can stream MQA on tidal. The 3.5mm out from the iPod Touch sounds good too with no hiss.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #7,783 of 9,829
Listening to my ZX300 with the new Andromeda SE Gold right now (after opening the box!) Sounds great, no hiss on the regular 3.5 mini-jack. I will decide one day if I want to get a balanced cable.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #7,784 of 9,829
IListening to my ZX300 with the new Andromeda SE Gold right now (after opening the box!) Sounds great, no hiss on the regular 3.5 mini-jack.

Good to know, thanks.

Please please please, can you try them with the following enabled :ksc75smile:
- DC Phase Linearizer (Type B Standard);
- Vinyl Processor (Standard).

I will decide one day if I want to get a balanced cable.

I(MY)HO they're not worth their price… or the pain to always have an adapter around (3.5mm still is king pretty much everywhere (well except in Apple's mind)—i.e. from a convenience's standpoint).

I imagine, however, that for those looking for the best possible separation, etc. etc. etc. it might worth it—to each his/her own really… just ain't for me.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #7,785 of 9,829
I did not hear hiss with those settings. I am 60, and found that those settings lowered the high end too much for me. I am currently liking "Direct Source" the best.

Currently trying some different genre and file types during lunch. (Jenner Fox -Taos, in DSD and Steve Martin - So Familiar in hirez) at 50ish on the volume dial (not in high gain)

I was surprised these earphones (Campfire Audio Andromeda SE Gold) are as small as they are. I usually have difficulty with fit (small ear canals) I am well fit, and comfortable with the medium silicone tips. They are not as bass tilted as the Atlas IEMs.

I am really liking the sound, and quite impressed with the sound field. (and just "wow" with hirez Yes-Fragile! Very detailed and dynamic) (Simon and Garfunkel Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - exquisite layering of their vocals and music)

I'll paraphrase my son, who took off with my Atlas IEMs: I forgot how much better direct wiring of IEMs is instead of bluetooth connections.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back