Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #7,171 of 9,825
It will be great to compare with mojo. At least i had mojo back then so i can relate even without andro that time. I can recall that mojo is warm. I dont think i wanna pair it with andro.

Mojo with Andromeda just sucks the life out of the Andromeda to my ears. It sounded too warm and two dimensional with a lot of hiss to boot. Hugo 2 is a different animal where it sounded very fast, tight and detailed. Definitely a good pairing if you want a warm sound that feels so fast, Hugo 2 does this very well with the Andromeda.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #7,172 of 9,825
Mojo with Andromeda just sucks the life out of the Andromeda to my ears. It sounded too warm and two dimensional with a lot of hiss to boot.

This. Had to run errands and just now made it back to testing but I can confirm what theveterans said. It is too warm and not to my taste. The vocals just got put in the back seat to the low end of the music. The highs were not as crisp and the when the both of them sang, the music was just overpowering to where the separation was much harder to hear. The M11 and the Andromeda sound so much better together IMO then the Mojo and Andromedas.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #7,173 of 9,825
Mojo with Andromeda just sucks the life out of the Andromeda to my ears. It sounded too warm and two dimensional with a lot of hiss to boot. Hugo 2 is a different animal where it sounded very fast, tight and detailed. Definitely a good pairing if you want a warm sound that feels so fast, Hugo 2 does this very well with the Andromeda.
I can imagine it will make andro sucks haha
Plus, im so crazy about separation and vocals

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #7,174 of 9,825
This. Had to run errands and just now made it back to testing but I can confirm what theveterans said. It is too warm and not to my taste. The vocals just got put in the back seat to the low end of the music. The highs were not as crisp and the when the both of them sang, the music was just overpowering to where the separation was much harder to hear. The M11 and the Andromeda sound so much better together IMO then the Mojo and Andromedas.
That's what the community said, mojo is no no for andro

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #7,175 of 9,825
I can imagine it will make andro sucks haha
Plus, im so crazy about separation and vocals

It might sound that I'm venturing to the subjective part of the hobby, but I also recommend you to try different cables. When I went to CanJam SoCal last weekend, I had a pleasure of trying out different IEM cables with the Andromeda and I was flabbergasted with the soundstage expansion capability of some cables. Two cables that made my jaw dropped were the Effect Audio Janus D and Cleopatra 8 wire. You'll unlock a new level of Andromeda goodness with the right synergy of cables and DAPs

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #7,176 of 9,825
It might sound that I'm venturing to the subjective part of the hobby, but I also recommend you to try different cables. When I went to CanJam SoCal last weekend, I had a pleasure of trying out different IEM cables with the Andromeda and I was flabbergasted with the soundstage expansion capability of some cables. Two cables that made my jaw dropped were the Effect Audio Janus D and Cleopatra 8 wire. You'll unlock a new level of Andromeda goodness with the right synergy of cables and DAPs
im not gonna spend $1k+ on cable :/

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #7,177 of 9,825
im not gonna spend $1k+ on cable :/

It's just unfortunate that those are the only cables that I knew I wasn't just getting brain placebo effect on Andromeda's sound Most of the cables I've tried were barely noticeable if not, imperceptible to my ears. Even the EA Lionheart cable that I use with the Andromeda didn't sound noticeably different than the stock litz cable, but at least I was finally able to experience that an IEM cable can change sound on a noticeable degree.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #7,178 of 9,825
It's just unfortunate that those are the only cables that I knew I wasn't just getting brain placebo effect on Andromeda's sound Most of the cables I've tried were barely noticeable if not, imperceptible to my ears. Even the EA Lionheart cable that I use with the Andromeda didn't sound noticeably different than the stock litz cable, but at least I was finally able to experience that an IEM cable can change sound on a noticeable degree.
Ive had experience a cable improvement too during canjam 2018. It was he1000. Not an iem. There was a guy making a handmade cable. It costs $3000 if im not mistaken. It changes the mids and vocals like crazy. I did A B 3 4 times and it's not hallucinations haha

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #7,179 of 9,825
Ive had experience a cable improvement too during canjam 2018. It was he1000. Not an iem. There was a guy making a handmade cable. It costs $3000 if im not mistaken. It changes the mids and vocals like crazy. I did A B 3 4 times and it's not hallucinations haha

For IEMs, I think IE Match (though I've never tried it) would've made far more changes in sound than any uber expensive IEM cables due to OI manipulation and some other hiss removal implementation it has.

Anyways to stay relevant to the thread, if anyone has a chance to try EA Octa cable offerings such as Cleopatra, Leonidas II or the Janus D cable with the Andromeda, definitely consider it as it improves Andromeda's abilities by a noticeable degree

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #7,181 of 9,825
For IEMs, I think IE Match (though I've never tried it) would've made far more changes in sound than any uber expensive IEM cables due to OI manipulation and some other hiss removal implementation it has.

Anyways to stay relevant to the thread, if anyone has a chance to try EA Octa cable offerings such as Cleopatra, Leonidas II or the Janus D cable with the Andromeda, definitely consider it as it improves Andromeda's abilities by a noticeable degree
For now, andro always impressed me every single time i hear to songs. It gives details that ive never heard before.

I think i need to have a short cable now. Since i pair this with es100, having short cable is just a perfect match!

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #7,182 of 9,825
Andromeda.png Oriolus.png I have written about this in this thread before, but my only issue with the Andromedas (that I owned for about 2 years) had always been that my ears heard something that I found „in the way“ between the bass tones and lower mids. Something that, at least to me, sounds a little „blown up“, too bloomy, with the result that some sounds that I hear seperatly with other earphones, get smeared together. I know that this stands in total contrast to the otherwise amazing separation and clearness of the Andromeda, that I admit, especially in the higher tones. Also, I must add that I listen to a lot of slower experimental electronic music and trip hop (so not classic EDM) that might be special in this regard. I never had this issue with rock or acustic music, for example.

Interestingly enough, I have just purchased an Oriolus Mk2, and even though it is well known to have quite a bit of midbass, I don’t hear the same issue that I have with the Andromeda...

So the other day I compared the graphes of the two (see pictures above) and I guess I found evidence of what I am hearing: While the Oriolusses graph clearly declines between 80 and 250 Hz, the Andromeda stays linear or is even rising a bit in this area! Another earphone that I really like is the VE8. To me, it has an overall very similar tonality to the Andromeda, but without that issue, too. Comparing the graphs again, I realized it is also declining between 80 and 250 Hz!

So I guess my ears are somehow sensible in that area or it’s just my personal preference. It seems that there are not too many people who have the same issue with Andromeda- but I‘ d be very interested to know if there are some more?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #7,183 of 9,825
I have written about this in this thread before, but my only issue with the Andromedas (that I owned for about 2 years) had always been that my ears heard something that I found „in the way“ between the bass tones and lower mids. Something that, at least to me, sounds a little „blown up“, too bloomy, with the result that some sounds that I hear seperatly with other earphones, get smeared together. I know that this stands in total contrast to the otherwise amazing separation and clearness of the Andromeda, that I admit, especially in the higher tones. Also, I must add that I listen to a lot of slower experimental electronic music and trip hop (so not classic EDM) that might be special in this regard. I never had this issue with rock or acustic music, for example.

Interestingly enough, I have just purchased an Oriolus Mk2, and even though it is well known to have quite a bit of midbass, I don’t hear the same issue that I have with the Andromeda...

So the other day I compared the graphes of the two (see pictures above) and I guess I found evidence of what I am hearing: While the Oriolusses graph clearly declines between 80 and 250 Hz, the Andromeda stays linear or is even rising a bit in this area! Another earphone that I really like is the VE8. To me, it has an overall very similar tonality to the Andromeda, but without that issue, too. Comparing the graphs again, I realized it is also declining between 80 and 250 Hz!

So I guess my ears are somehow sensible in that area or it’s just my personal preference. It seems that there are not too many people who have the same issue with Andromeda- but I‘ d be very interested to know if there are some more?

The thing is Andromeda's bass curve changes quite a bit with DAP's OI. I certainly start to hear those midbass bloom when the source OI is below 1 ohm with the exception of Chord Hugo 2. Through an iPhone 6S that has over 3 ohm OI, midbass becomes lean and for some might consider it as anemic in body.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #7,184 of 9,825
I have written about this in this thread before, but my only issue with the Andromedas (that I owned for about 2 years) had always been that my ears heard something that I found „in the way“ between the bass tones and lower mids. Something that, at least to me, sounds a little „blown up“, too bloomy, with the result that some sounds that I hear seperatly with other earphones, get smeared together. I know that this stands in total contrast to the otherwise amazing separation and clearness of the Andromeda, that I admit, especially in the higher tones. Also, I must add that I listen to a lot of slower experimental electronic music and trip hop (so not classic EDM) that might be special in this regard. I never had this issue with rock or acustic music, for example.

The thing is Andromeda's bass curve changes quite a bit with DAP's OI. I certainly start to hear those midbass bloom when the source OI is below 1 ohm with the exception of Chord Hugo 2. Through an iPhone 6S that has over 3 ohm OI, midbass becomes lean and for some might consider it as anemic in body.

I can 100% confirm this. I experience the same. Remember when i said i need a vocal separation from Kanas Pro and then i come here to andromeda asking the same thing?

So i bought Iematch. The vocal is now alone without midbass. Also, jvc spiral tips plays a big role here. I do try the stock tips and final. Jvc has the best sound separation so far.

Im into tip rolling now. I cant believe how fun tip rolling is. I wanna try wide bore from spinfit. As i love soundstage and mids. Wide bore is the one i need.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #7,185 of 9,825
I can 100% confirm this. I experience the same. Remember when i said i need a vocal separation from Kanas Pro and then i come here to andromeda asking the same thing?

So i bought Iematch. The vocal is now alone without midbass. Also, jvc spiral tips plays a big role here. I do try the stock tips and final. Jvc has the best sound separation so far.

Im into tip rolling now. I cant believe how fun tip rolling is. I wanna try wide bore from spinfit. As i love soundstage and mids. Wide bore is the one i need.

I must confess I have never tried Andromeda with other than 0-2 ohm sources, but of course I have heard about bigger changes in sound signature depending on the output impedance. I would like to try iMatch, but I have sold Andromeda already...haha. And oh, what about subbass? Does it also decrease with higher impedance sources? While I would welcome less midbass I would not want subbass less than Andromeda already have?

By the way, in my case I am not sure if this is really a general midbass issue. Because as written above - Oriolus also has lots of midbass, but I don’t have any problems with it. I think it must be a smaller particular frequency range that I react, too...

You had the same problem with Kanas Pro? That surprises me, because I don’t have it at all. Isn’t Kanas Pro famous for being only subbass focussed (some people complain about a thin midbass and thin lower mids)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back