Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #7,096 of 9,825
I have the ES100 and an iFi micro BL. ES is good enough for me when i need a portable solution and I also use it when sleeping with the Andro's in my ears.

...but the iFi for me is in a different league. Opens up the soundstage, better imaging, brings the mids forward , has a great bass boost and no hiss. It also gives you control over the output impedance so you can choose whatever sound siganture you prefer.
I had the ifi bl back then, sold to my friend. I guess ill drive to his house soon to demo. But i definitely can recall the bl has the open sound even with headphones!

Edit: did u use 2.5mm or 3.5mm for the ese100? And which output impedance? Which one is the best for andro??

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #7,097 of 9,825
I had the ifi bl back then, sold to my friend. I guess ill drive to his house soon to demo. But i definitely can recall the bl has the open sound even with headphones!

Edit: did u use 2.5mm or 3.5mm for the ese100? And which output impedance? Which one is the best for andro??

On the ES100 i use 3.5mm in normal mode(1 ohm) as there's too much bass and not enough mids on High performance(0.5 ohm). I don't have a balanced cable so not sure how it sounds on 2.5mm

On the iFi i like it in High Sensitivity which should be 2.5 ohm. That's the sweet spot for my ears.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #7,098 of 9,825
On the ES100 i use 3.5mm in normal mode(1 ohm) as there's too much bass and not enough mids on High performance(0.5 ohm). I don't have a balanced cable so not sure how it sounds on 2.5mm

On the iFi i like it in High Sensitivity which should be 2.5 ohm. That's the sweet spot for my ears.

Im so tempted to try out the iematch ifi. $60 is it worth??

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #7,100 of 9,825
I'm afraid i haven't tried the iematch so can't comment

Ok that 1 omh impedance change the andromeda like What. Opening the sound like What...

I did the 1omh before and it was a bug. So i reset closing the app and off on the es100. The 1omh works as it is now. Im blown away now !

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #7,101 of 9,825
This is what’s cool about this forum. You’re loving what I hear as a shouty fatigue-monster.

Everybody’s ears are so different. Glad you found a gem for you, even if I found a quick-return for me. Enjoy them!
Change the tips you are using and you will hear a huge difference. I am using very cheap tips that increased the bass and does not make them fatiguing at all

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #7,102 of 9,825
Change the tips you are using and you will hear a huge difference. I am using very cheap tips that increased the bass and does not make them fatiguing at all
I rolled all three included tips, and some Comply t400 rounds as well. I listened to the Andro today through a DF Red... Definitely much, much better than the Mojo. The shoutiness is very reduced, but there are still some spikes, and the upper mids and lower treble are still more defining of the sound sig than I would like... It’s not as liquid as I prefer. The bass is better on the DFR, only slightly lacking now.

My other big issue that I didn’t go into, that of volume, still remains... It’s hard to find a source where even the lowest setting isn’t too high. I know people say this is a BA issue, but I’ve owned a lot of BA IEMs, and only ever run into issues with the SE846... Which was still fairly reasonable in comparison to the Andro.

Particularly after listening on the DFR, I understand why people dig this IEM. It does some things really, really well. And a lot of people don’t have crazy bat ears like me either, so maybe the volume isn’t an issue for most. But for me, I dunno. It’s just seeming like one has to jump through a lot of hoops for the Andro. I’ll tip roll, cable roll, even source roll for the right IEM (I bought the DFR for the Andro)... But now the next step would be adding a volume reduction device like the IEMatch, which I know from using it to run the SE846 out of a large balanced desktop DAC/amp, is something that pretty dramatically effects the frequency range. For me, it’s just a bridge too far. Picky IEMs I can handle. But for $1100, I’d like to think they could have managed to engineer a reasonable impedance, ha ha.

I’m thinking of giving the Dorado a shot. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #7,103 of 9,825
I rolled all three included tips, and some Comply t400 rounds as well. I listened to the Andro today through a DF Red... Definitely much, much better than the Mojo. The shoutiness is very reduced, but there are still some spikes, and the upper mids and lower treble are still more defining of the sound sig than I would like... It’s not as liquid as I prefer. The bass is better on the DFR, only slightly lacking now.

My other big issue that I didn’t go into, that of volume, still remains... It’s hard to find a source where even the lowest setting isn’t too high. I know people say this is a BA issue, but I’ve owned a lot of BA IEMs, and only ever run into issues with the SE846... Which was still fairly reasonable in comparison to the Andro.

Particularly after listening on the DFR, I understand why people dig this IEM. It does some things really, really well. And a lot of people don’t have crazy bat ears like me either, so maybe the volume isn’t an issue for most. But for me, I dunno. It’s just seeming like one has to jump through a lot of hoops for the Andro. I’ll tip roll, cable roll, even source roll for the right IEM (I bought the DFR for the Andro)... But now the next step would be adding a volume reduction device like the IEMatch, which I know from using it to run the SE846 out of a large balanced desktop DAC/amp, is something that pretty dramatically effects the frequency range. For me, it’s just a bridge too far. Picky IEMs I can handle. But for $1100, I’d like to think they could have managed to engineer a reasonable impedance, ha ha.

I’m thinking of giving the Dorado a shot. We’ll see.
Give these tips a try. They have changed the sound of Andromeda a lot: https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/30x-Un...var=563764164177&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My DAP is an A&K SP1000M gold which is known for being a warm DAP. It balances the highs of Andromeda
Andromeda are excellent IEM for the price. If you don't get used to them, then I would recommend Atlas which has a nice rounding sound with excellent bass

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #7,104 of 9,825
Give these tips a try. They have changed the sound of Andromeda a lot: https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/30x-Universal-Replacement-Silicone-Earbuds-Tips-for-In-Ear-Headphones-Earphones/264205197521?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=563764164177&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My DAP is an A&K SP1000M gold which is known for being a warm DAP. It balances the highs of Andromeda
Andromeda are excellent IEM for the price. If you don't get used to them, then I would recommend Atlas which has a nice rounding sound with excellent bass

That 1 ohm OI balanced definitely gives the Andromeda with the perfect warm with upper treble sparkle synergy that made me love this IEM. The iPod Touch 7G also has around 1 ohm OI which gives excellent synergy with Andromeda

Jun 22, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #7,105 of 9,825
Im so tempted to try out the iematch ifi. $60 is it worth??

The IEMatch makes the Andromeda sound dead and closed-in. I thought it was just me, but I searched this thread and found others saying the same thing. A/B’ing with the ES100 confirmed that it screws with the sound signature in a way that a direct amp connection doesn’t. I would not recommend it if you’re looking for TOTL audio quality.

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #7,106 of 9,825
Damn you are uaena!!! Me tooo <3

Btw, why people keep making 1omh and above for the output impedance? Do andromeda works better with higher impedance?

I wanna open the sound more. I love the highs and the bass currently but if i can open the soundstage and separation more to shine the mids, that's my goal!

You got me there. 1 ohm would make turn Andromeda sound wide and open like what I experience with my iPod Touch 7G.

48108570261_00dbba1f97_k_d.jpg

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #7,107 of 9,825
The moment I was first blown away by the Andromeda S was when I got a good shallow seal. Until then I was happy enough with the sound but wasn't amazed.
From the stock tips the large is too big and the medium goes in quite deep to get a seal. I was using the stock silicon tips for my first few days and then thought I'd try the final tips. These have a medium large size which straight away gave me a great shallow seal and it hit me straight away how much better, bigger, and more open everything sounded with incredible seperation - albeit a bit darker due to the narrow bore the final tips have.
I ordered some medium large spiral dots and haven't looked back since.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #7,108 of 9,825
You got me there. 1 ohm would make turn Andromeda sound wide and open like what I experience with my iPod Touch 7G.

Goshhh beautiful IU <3

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #7,109 of 9,825
The IEMatch makes the Andromeda sound dead and closed-in. I thought it was just me, but I searched this thread and found others saying the same thing. A/B’ing with the ES100 confirmed that it screws with the sound signature in a way that a direct amp connection doesn’t. I would not recommend it if you’re looking for TOTL audio quality.
I just ordered to try out. If its bad. I would return it!

Jun 22, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #7,110 of 9,825

Nice photo :p

So I have the same setup with the new V3 Green Andros, an iPod Touch 7th Gen and the new Smokey Litz Cable.

I have a lot of CDs loaded directly onto the stock music.app but to me it sounds harsh and I can pickup sibilance with many tracks (not terrible) and I can’t turn the volume up past 5 volume steps before it’s too loud. They are ripped as ALAC files. Using sound check makes the above worse to my ears and crushes dynamics.

I downloaded Spotify and using volume normalisation set to “quiet” I can get more steps of volume at a comfortable listening level, the harshness/sibilance seems to be gone and dynamics seem to be really good (obviously it’s 320Kbps Ogg/Vorbis not CD quality).

From your photo you seem to be listening pretty loud by the volume slider and I’ve read from your previous posts that you like the sound of CDs played using this setup.

Am I missing something with the stock music.app and does the Effect Audio cable you’re using make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back