Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #6,631 of 9,829
I recently picked up the Andromeda in a local deal. I owned them around a year ago and regretted it ever since. I'll be pairing it with a Sony ZX300A using the balanced output. I've been using the Fiio FH5 so it's a much different sound signature than what I've been accustomed to lately. I've been using the Spinfit dual flange tip however I can probably get a better sound with tips that don't as deep in the ear.

Once I settle on tips, I should be in a good place audio wise. I have a Custom Art Fibae Black coming in a month or so (hopefully). I just need to purchase a balanced cable so should have two earphones that offer different signatures to enjoy.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #6,632 of 9,829
I recently picked up the Andromeda in a local deal. I owned them around a year ago and regretted it ever since. I'll be pairing it with a Sony ZX300A using the balanced output. I've been using the Fiio FH5 so it's a much different sound signature than what I've been accustomed to lately. I've been using the Spinfit dual flange tip however I can probably get a better sound with tips that don't as deep in the ear.

Once I settle on tips, I should be in a good place audio wise. I have a Custom Art Fibae Black coming in a month or so (hopefully). I just need to purchase a balanced cable so should have two earphones that offer different signatures to enjoy.
I am thinking about getting a FH5 for a pair of IEMs to keep in my bag at work since I don’t want to risk anything happening to my Andromedas.
Can you give me an example of the major differences in the sound of the two and of you think the FH5 is worth it for $260? I listen to mainly late 90’s early 2000’s hip hop and EDM

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #6,633 of 9,829
I am thinking about getting a FH5 for a pair of IEMs to keep in my bag at work since I don’t want to risk anything happening to my Andromedas.
Can you give me an example of the major differences in the sound of the two and of you think the FH5 is worth it for $260? I listen to mainly late 90’s early 2000’s hip hop and EDM

I do enjoy the FH5 a lot however some people have had issues with the shorter nozzle. I do recall that Fiio released a longer nozzle FH5 so I assume this is no longer an issue. I don't listen to any of those genres however I assume an elevated bass response is vital. The FH5 definitely has more bass quantity than the Andromeda. As far as other sound signature differences, the midrange is a bit more pronounced with lower treble in both quality and quantity. Of course the bass response of the Andromeda depends on the OI of your source so it may be closer or further apart in quantity.

Of course at $260 vs $1099 there are obvious differences in price and sound quality. Another difference is accessories. With the Andromeda you get the leather case and the bare minimum of tips. The FH5 is a completely different story where you get a lot of tips and accessories. The only thing is that I do not know the iem's in this price range so I'm not too sure how it compares against its competitors.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #6,635 of 9,829
Picture...

20190123_153424.jpg

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #6,636 of 9,829
The jedi and the sith.

20190125_222656.jpg

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #6,637 of 9,829
I agree that the spiral dots tips are probably the smoothest sounding tips for the andromedas! I thought the symbios were good but the spiral dots seem to sound more balanced. Although the MS didnt give me the best seal. The mediums are perfect. So yeah they run a bit small compared to other tips.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #6,638 of 9,829
Where do you guys get your spiral dots from? I can't find them in Europe at all.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #6,642 of 9,829
@candlejack I get mine from Amazon Japan, and forwarded through Tenso, whenever I want to buy something else from there that's either only available there or cheaper (like JVC earphones, etc). If you don't piggyback on something else, though, single purchase from ebay is better/cheaper - shipping through Tenso to Europe through Registered Airmail (which takes around 10-15 days, usually) costs between $20 and $40, depending on weight and number of parcels you ended up consolidating.... so worth it (IMHO), if you're already spending some money, but not just on eartips, though.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #6,643 of 9,829
@candlejack I get mine from Amazon Japan, and forwarded through Tenso, whenever I want to buy something else from there that's either only available there or cheaper (like JVC earphones, etc). If you don't piggyback on something else, though, single purchase from ebay is better/cheaper - shipping through Tenso to Europe through Registered Airmail (which takes around 10-15 days, usually) costs between $20 and $40, depending on weight and number of parcels you ended up consolidating.... so worth it (IMHO), if you're already spending some money, but not just on eartips, though.
Sounds quite complicated for a pair of tips. :frowning2: But thanks a lot for the info.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #6,644 of 9,829
Sorry people for this maybe noob question.

I've here the Sony NW-ZX300 which I wanted to compare to my iPhone (Apple DAC Dongle). I noticed this:

iPhone with IEMatch vs. Sony NW-ZX300 without IEMatch: the sound is practically the same.

iPhone with IEMatch vs. Sony NW-ZX300 with IEMatch: the Sony is just a *very little bit* better, something that surely I would not notice as much if I would be not concentred. How can this be? I read that the Sony is a very, very good player. Is that some hidden option to make the sound be much better…? I used no filters.

Further, the power output of the sony is not good to drive my Beyerdynamic T1 since the sound is just TOO low! I mean, the Sonata HD Cable (30€) and the NextDrive Spectra (170€) are way louder!

Some opinions about that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back