Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 1, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #4,036 of 9,829
As May was a cheaper month than expected I went ahead and joined the group of Andromeda owners! I also picked up an iFi Black Label last month to go along with it :p

I've listen to them only for a short while but they're pretty damn impressive, the most noticeable things being how wide the sound stage is compared to my cheap Sennheiser IE7 IEMs, the clearer bass and how vocals now shine. They're far more more reminiscent of my HD600 now despite being IEMs.

Great choice! I think the Black Label and the Andromeda have excellent synergy. Makes them sound very airy, with zero hiss and a nice full sound that rarely needs XBass on.

The sound of them knocking against each is rather bad for my heart though, and I've order two mini velvet bags to see if they'll be usable. I am curious to know how much of an effect replacing/upgrading the cable has on the sound, but that's probably an experiment for another month

The knocking is annoying indeed, but it's the price to pay for having solid metal shells. BAs are usually fragile, but that little knocking isn't a problem. Might scratch the green paint a bit with time.
To be honest, I don't think you can avoid the paint chipping with time (at least at the edges) and the bads will be an inconvenience.

What I do is try to separate them when I put them in the case. The original case squashes them together, but with the side flaps removed, there's a lot more space (easier to store, no rubbing together). I posted that mod a few pages ago.

One other thing to note is that I do find one of the screw scratches a bit against the inside of my ear, maybe I have small ears?

Never noticed that, but all ears are different, plus tips and insertion also change things. In my case the Andromeda are quite comfortable, at least as comfortable as something "round and smooth" like the Shure SE846.

On a slight aside, does anyone know what the equivalent sizes are between Spinfits and Spiral Dots? I use two different sizes for my ears but I'm finding the medium and large slightly too large
Edit: Just found a topic on size comparisons on here which answer the question about spiral dots!

Can't help here. I like Spiral Dots, but not so much Spinfits. Silicone didn't work well with the Andromeda for me, especially with some loss of low frequencies.
I get a fuller sound and more comfort with Comply TX-400 (Or TSX).
Also, given how huge that pig-nozzle of the Andromeda is, I prefer to have a thin mesh like Comply's Waxguard in the way to avoid debris getting inside. The effect on sound is imperceptible to me.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,037 of 9,829
XS spinfit tips = Small Spiral dot tips and then works up from there respectively. Large spiral dot tips are 1mm larger than large spinfit tips.

Make sure to try to find the right size for yours ears. One size can make all the difference. It's too bad jvc does not offer mixed sizes.
As they're only 1000 yen for a pack of 6 I decided to buy all sizes :) I accidentally left the small size Spinfit on my Andromeda before I took it into work but found that actually if positioned just right it does a decent seal. Only issue being that it tends to go too far in and the hardish rubber irritates my ear, but given that the seal is okayish it may be that my ears range from small to large..

Great choice! I think the Black Label and the Andromeda have excellent synergy. Makes them sound very airy, with zero hiss and a nice full sound that rarely needs XBass on.

Yeah I decided on the BL after skimming through this topic as well as reading several reviews. At this sort of price point it was a toss up between the Chord Mojo and BL but as I was primarily using it via USB with my phone the BL was the obvious choice. The BL itself is a powerful thing, it's versatile enough that if I ever need to use full size headphones it'll be able to easily power them. It's also the second solid state amp I've bought so far...the first being an iBasso D2 back in 2008 which died after a year

The knocking is annoying indeed, but it's the price to pay for having solid metal shells. BAs are usually fragile, but that little knocking isn't a problem. Might scratch the green paint a bit with time.
To be honest, I don't think you can avoid the paint chipping with time (at least at the edges) and the bads will be an inconvenience.

What I do is try to separate them when I put them in the case. The original case squashes them together, but with the side flaps removed, there's a lot more space (easier to store, no rubbing together). I posted that mod a few pages ago.

I saw your mod, but I'm the type that hates cutting things apart :p I'm hoping that I can at least bag them in individual velvet bags and then put those into the case as a rough solution

Never noticed that, but all ears are different, plus tips and insertion also change things. In my case the Andromeda are quite comfortable, at least as comfortable as something "round and smooth" like the Shure SE846.

It's probably just down to my ears being a funky size...

Can't help here. I like Spiral Dots, but not so much Spinfits. Silicone didn't work well with the Andromeda for me, especially with some loss of low frequencies.
I get a fuller sound and more comfort with Comply TX-400 (Or TSX).
Also, given how huge that pig-nozzle of the Andromeda is, I prefer to have a thin mesh like Comply's Waxguard in the way to avoid debris getting inside. The effect on sound is imperceptible to me.

I'm using the Andromedas in a work environment so I'd be regularly inserting and removing them when I talk to colleagues, so having to wait for the Complys to expand would be a bit of a pain. The huge-ass nozzles and keeping them debris free is certainly a concern though <_<

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #4,039 of 9,829
Did You guys experience any troubles pairing Andros with Galaxy S8? I tried it with S8 and S8+ and all I'm getting is dead silence. Stock cable's plug looks like a standard 3 pole 3,5mm Jack.

Might be S8 problem. Same as mine.

Try plugging in the plug 1/2 way till you heard a click on your Andromeda then fully push in.

It happenes to me for all earphones. I going to have my S8 exchanged.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #4,041 of 9,829
My other iems works great with S8. This is strange, maybe it's somehow related with low impedance of Andros?
Not sure, maybe some detection problem of the phone.

I use Andro on all my players and also pc. All works well.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,042 of 9,829
As May was a cheaper month than expected I went ahead and joined the group of Andromeda owners! I also picked up an iFi Black Label last month to go along with it :p

mxTtYm2.jpg

(Only noticed the piece of dirt after I finished taking the photo, gah)

I've listen to them only for a short while but they're pretty damn impressive, the most noticeable things being how wide the sound stage is compared to my cheap Sennheiser IE7 IEMs, the clearer bass and how vocals now shine. They're far more more reminiscent of my HD600 now despite being IEMs. The sound of them knocking against each is rather bad for my heart though, and I've order two mini velvet bags to see if they'll be usable. I am curious to know how much of an effect replacing/upgrading the cable has on the sound, but that's probably an experiment for another month

One other thing to note is that I do find one of the screw scratches a bit against the inside of my ear, maybe I have small ears?

On a slight aside, does anyone know what the equivalent sizes are between Spinfits and Spiral Dots? I use two different sizes for my ears but I'm finding the medium and large slightly too large

Edit: Just found a topic on size comparisons on here which answer the question about spiral dots!

Sorry but can you tell me where you ordered the mini velvet bags please?
Thank you in advance!

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,043 of 9,829
Sorry but can you tell me where you ordered the mini velvet bags please?
Thank you in advance!
I ordered it from Ebay but they proved to be a failure :disappointed_relieved: only the outside is velvet, the inside is still a sort of hard polyester lining so they don't do much protecting. I only use it on one of the Andromedas so that if they do hit each other it there's not as much risk of chipping the paint.

I'm still looking another bag in the meantime

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,044 of 9,829
How about using the two pieces removed from the case to make two small pouches. Not sure how possible it is as I haven't got the andromeda (yet) if it's possible, at least they would match the case.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,047 of 9,829
How about using the two pieces removed from the case to make two small pouches. Not sure how possible it is as I haven't got the andromeda (yet) if it's possible, at least they would match the case.
You could, but then you could also just buy the raw materials as either method would require you to stitch your own bag. I can't stitch however which is why I'm looking for an already made bag :p

Jun 3, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #4,048 of 9,829
Had a look on Amazon and there are lots of felt/cotton draw string bags used by jewellery shops. More than likely there will be something suitable. Stitching is not a problem for me, it is for my wife. She can't sew for s..t

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,049 of 9,829
I am using these little cotten bags from DAISO.
I put a pack of Silica gel in each.

They are actually chair legs covers.

I bet if you do some shopping might be able to fine something that fits~

20170604_100324.jpg

Attachments

• 20170604_100324.jpg
    20170604_100324.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,050 of 9,829
I am using these little cotten bags from DAISO.
I put a pack of Silica gel in each.

They are actually chair legs covers.

I bet if you do some shopping might be able to fine something that fits~

Haha that's very cute! Probably too large to put them inside the Campfire Audio case though, but perhaps it's worthwhile looking into a dedicated IEM case/bag like other users have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back