Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #828 of 9,829

I was strong! No i was weak! Oh well...

Same here :) I joined the drop on the second day, cancelled yesterday and was about to join again half an hour ago when I was that it was at 199/200. Someone else got the last and I'm not sure if I should be sad or happy. Saved some money for sure on something that I didn't really need. Looking forward to the upcoming impressions and reviews tho

May 11, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #829 of 9,829

Same here :) I joined the drop on the second day, cancelled yesterday and was about to join again half an hour ago when I was that it was at 199/200. Someone else got the last and I'm not sure if I should be sad or happy. Saved some money for sure on something that I didn't really need. Looking forward to the upcoming impressions and reviews tho

200 units! Sounds like they sold a ton more than expected. People love a sale!

May 11, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #830 of 9,829
I actually ordered Novas and than canceled, twice on MD! I am going to be interested in hearing what others think of the Novas once they have shipped. I think it was a great value purchase but I am quite content with my Andromeda and I feel it checks all the boxes for me.

May 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #831 of 9,829
MD Nova drop just ended...

Just got notified by payment error. LOL

Thanksfully it's working smoothly by re-entering the payment info. :D

Last time I checked, it was at 160-ish, seems like FOMO taking effect. Now time to wait.

May 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #832 of 9,829
I haven't heard them yet - but I'm really confused - and wondering why the graph actually says these have great upper mids, but you're claiming they're not.

The upper mid-range starts from just after 1 kHz - and it is precisely in the 2-3 kHz range where the Nova has a slight rise.  It's only about 2.5 dB - but its exactly this frequency range which gives air and sweetness to female vocals.  The range at 3.5-4.5 has virtually no effect on vocals and its an area a lot of manufacturers dip.

I'm hoping someone else who has actually heard the Novas (for a decent amount of time) will chime in.

Just thinking out loud here and extrapolating- The outer ear boosts these upper mid frequencies by about 12 db's or so, according to diffuse field ear drum response, so typically you'd want to see a fairly large boost here on IEM raw measurements. A diffuse field compensation would probably show a 9 or 10 db dip there, and that might be why he considers them darker sounding. Also it's worth noting I've seen tests were the average users hearing can vary in this area by 4 or 5dbs, so one man's dark or recessed is another's slightly laid back or fairly neutral.

May 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #834 of 9,829
Anyone else receive their Andromeda? Thoughts?

May 11, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #835 of 9,829
Audio123 described the Nova as technical and thats a fair assessment, as some described the Andromeda as holographic.

It is a fairly even IEM overall.
Bass and treble are moderate.
The bass can be increase or decreased via tip rolling.
With the stock tips the highs are airy and realistic than extended.

I had a good listen yesterday on my many commutes and found I could use the M tips instead of the L size. Much better.

I also fell asleep on the train twice....with the Novas in.

May 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #836 of 9,829
I'm excited that some of the the Novas have been shipped.

I will be able to read soon If my impressions were accurate (where upon I shall bathe in the glow and glory of forum adulation for accuracy) ....or whether I was way off (and then hunted down and publicly whipped for my poor assessment).

:)

May 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #837 of 9,829
Got in on the Nova drop and will now anxiously await for them to arrive. I ordered a FIIO X3 II to compliment them and should make for a sweet portable rig. I've been mainly using my Samsung Note 2 and a pair of ER4P so should be a nice upgrade for the DAP and will be interesting to compare the IEMs.

May 11, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #838 of 9,829
According to tracking, I should receive both my Andromeda and Nova this Friday!

May 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #839 of 9,829
I joined the drop last night before bed (NZ time) and was intending to flip-flop this morning about maybe leaving the drop and going straight for an Andromeda - my favourite colour, beautiful frequency graph, wonderful impressions so far, but the price... Would be nice for Massdrop to make it more clear exactly when a drop ends, haha. Still, this will be a good audition, if Campfire earns 500 of my moneys with the Nova then perhaps they will deserve three times that at a later date.

May 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #840 of 9,829
Damn just sat down for the night to get in on the nova drop and it appears it's ended early. Guess I can just save up for the andromeda now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back