Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #617 of 9,825
Very interesting to hear that the Nova may be highly source dependent

May 8, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #618 of 9,825
Does that mean it is (more) neutral and the source is coloring the sound?

May 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #619 of 9,825
Just a heads up on anyone considering the purchase of the Nova. I noticed that it is out of stock on the CA website but is still available on Massdrop at the moment.

May 8, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #620 of 9,825
Just a heads up on anyone considering the purchase of the Nova. I noticed that it is out of stock on the CA website but is still available on Massdrop at the moment.

I have a feeling the intent is to fulfill MD orders first (at $339 it's an awesome discount), where MD is limited to 200 units with 117 already claimed/purchased.  Once MD is over in 5 days, I'm sure Nova will be available on Campfire website at full price.

May 8, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #621 of 9,825

I have a feeling the intent is to fulfill MD orders first (at $339 it's an awesome discount), where MD is limited to 200 units with 117 already claimed/purchased.  Once MD is over in 5 days, I'm sure Nova will be available on Campfire website at full price.

Aww, snap! If I hadn't bid on Savant today, I'd be picking Nova up. As it is, I'll have to wait...

May 8, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #623 of 9,825
Andromeda seems to be ok  with the Centrance Hifi Skyn and Shozy Alien, a little more sparkle on the high end of the Alien.

Different signatures for sure but not that much different. Near identical with the Andromeda.

Good with both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jupiter.

*I swapped out the newer cable from the Nova to the Jupiter so all the Campfire IEMs were similar.

Faaarrrkk. I haven`t listened to the Jupiter since I got the Andromeda, quite a different kettle of fish.

Could be the new cable too.

*New cable (from the Nova).
Fairly similar to the Andromeda, no extreme differences, Alien a little more airy/sparkle..

*With original cable.
Same as new cable, different sig slightly. but still no extreme differences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the Nova.

I think I am getting A/B fatigued.

Definitely the Andromeda and Jupiter are above the Nova in price and performance.

Its close, very close to what I wrote before.

Both are good sources with a slightly different flavor.
The Shozy seems to take off some of the low end sub bass. But sometimes its needed such as Rammstein `du hast`.

It seems source dependent. Ever so slightly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets throw the DITA the Truth into the mix.

I will take off the reference tips and put on the ML Spiral Dots as I did with the Campfire Audio gear.
Dita prefers the Skyn.

Reference tips
Close but I think its a synergy match for the Skyn.

Advanced AcousticWerkes W300u

No real change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paiaudio MR3

no major change. Skyn warmer low end, more flat reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My summary.

I am guessing that Nova is to some extent varied with Daps which is the same for many an earphone.
The differences though audible with analytical listening sessions are not that extreme.

Either some bass roll off, or added sparkles at the high end.

Either of which could probably be solved by some clever tip rolling to bring up the bass, or extend the treble according to ones preferences.

Half my battle is that I have the Andromeda and Jupiter to compare against to Nova..

Two drivers vs four and five is a bit of a bully situation.

Does it sound good? Yes. I think it is a good all rounder. 

Next I might do some tip rolling with it and see what happens. 

*I hope todays garbled impressions as i went about my day were helpful in some way.

cheers
expat.

----------------------------------

EDIT:

Nova again. Centrance Hifi-Skyn vs Seiun hi res player

Very similar sound signatures.

The Skyn edges out in power and performance.

Nova still shines.

May 8, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #624 of 9,825
Yes nova is good. These days the market is saturated with dual driver TOTL iems.
At the end of the day, personal preference is key

May 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #625 of 9,825
Can anyone tell me who is the most influential IEM guru?
As you know already, Tyll from Innerfidelity is a famous headphone guru but doesn't seem to review IEMs that often. 
(Innerfidelity's Wall-of-Fame currently lists Kaiser 10, UE Miracle, JH13 Pro FreqPhase and others.)

May 8, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #626 of 9,825
As you know already, Tyll from Innerfidelity is a famous headphone guru but doesn't seem to review IEMs that often. 
(Innerfidelity's Wall-of-Fame currently lists Kaiser 10, UE Miracle, JH13 Pro FreqPhase and others.)

the one and only @ljokerl

May 8, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #627 of 9,825
That was done a while ago, since than many innovative design has come out. Arguably the most technically proficient IEM is the kse1500, however it is an all in one approach.

May 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #629 of 9,825
  Thanks, audio123.
I found the rating system really helpful. http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/
Sadly, no review of any CFA model on the website.

i started out this hobby by reading @ljokerl reviews.
no doubt the best iem guru with countless of reviews and a sorting system.
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #630 of 9,825
Andromeda seems to be ok  with the Centrance Hifi Skyn and Shozy Alien, a little more sparkle on the high end of the Alien.

Different signatures for sure but not that much different. Near identical with the Andromeda.

Good with both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jupiter.

*I swapped out the newer cable from the Nova to the Jupiter so all the Campfire IEMs were similar.

Faaarrrkk. I haven`t listened to the Jupiter since I got the Andromeda, quite a different kettle of fish.

Could be the new cable too.

*New cable (from the Nova).
Fairly similar to the Andromeda, no extreme differences, Alien a little more airy/sparkle..

*With original cable.
Same as new cable, different sig slightly. but still no extreme differences.

Back to the Nova.

I think I am getting A/B fatigued.

Definitely the Andromeda and Jupiter are above the Nova in price and performance.

Its close, very close to what I wrote before.

Both are good sources with a slightly different flavor.
The Shozy seems to take off some of the low end sub bass. But sometimes its needed such as Rammstein `du hast`.

It seems source dependent. Ever so slightly.

Lets throw the DITA the Truth into the mix.

I will take off the reference tips and put on the ML Spiral Dots as I did with the Campfire Audio gear.
Dita prefers the Skyn.

Reference tips
Close but I think its a synergy match for the Skyn.

Advanced AcousticWerkes W300u

No real change.

Paiaudio MR3

no major change. Skyn warmer low end, more flat reference.

My summary.

I am guessing that Nova is to some extent varied with Daps which is the same for many an earphone.
The differences though audible with analytical listening sessions are not that extreme.

Either some bass roll off, or added sparkles at the high end.

Either of which could probably be solved by some clever tip rolling to bring up the bass, or extend the treble according to ones preferences.

Half my battle is that I have the Andromeda and Jupiter to compare against to Nova..

Two drivers vs four and five is a bit of a bully situation.

Does it sound good? Yes. I think it is a good all rounder. 

Next I might do some tip rolling with it and see what happens. 

*I hope todays garbled impressions as i went about my day were helpful in some way.

cheers
expat.

----------------------------------

EDIT:

Nova again. Centrance Hifi-Skyn vs Seiun hi res player

Very similar sound signatures.

The Skyn edges out in power and performance.

Nova still shines.

Thank you @ExPatInJapan. I am really looking forward to the Novas. I could not resist the drop. I will have to load more music onto my X3ii so I can compare to my iPhone 6+ (which is what I use most of the time on the go). I appreciate your honesty in comparisons. Based upon the graph and your interpretations, I think I will really like the sound. Let's hope so, and thank you again!

Audio123: you hated the Nova after five seconds, now you consider it good? Please audition for longer than you have. We really need sound coherent thoughts here for comparisons...please don't take it personally, but listen for longer or wait to comment. Cheers, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back