Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 10, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,471 of 9,829
Oh....dear....GAWD!!! If I can describe my initial listen with the Novas in two consecutive songs:

Ziggy Marley's Dragonfly draws you in close, very close, into his microphone, intimately while you look out at the beautiful environment that Dragonfly hopes we protect...colors! Flowers! Trees! Birds! Just intimate and wonderful....a full close up of where we live.

Followed directly with Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd...:flushed:...my atoms were blown completely into all corners of the auditorium by that solo....that solo, oh dear goodness that solo...what Ziggy drew in, she simply took and blew into the far corners of the universe with crystal clear clarity, depth, breadth and sound soulness....holy buckets of goodness.

Dear Gawd I need a drink of single malt Scotch...:cold_sweat:

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,472 of 9,829
Dear Gawd I need a drink of single malt Scotch...:cold_sweat:

I thought it's the olive you would be drinking 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,475 of 9,829
I thought it's the olive you would be drinking :rolleyes:  

It's all good. I have my Scotch, and continue the variety of pleasurable sounds in the Novas. I will burn in over night, and see what happens tomorrow....my, my, my...

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,478 of 9,829
I got out the good 'ol universal Laylas with foam tips and compared them to the Andromedas out of a Chord DAVE (which sadly has to go back tomorrow) and I was surprised that there wasn't much difference in tone with the bass set at 9 o'clock.  Note that I don't listen that loud and the Laylas have more drivers for the purpose of having more headroom.  I'd expected the Andromedas to be brighter, but out of the DAVE and anything with a low output impedance they have quite a bit of mid-bass.

Quote:
  Go with SpinFit ,I highly recommend it.

The SpinFits, while very gentle on the ears, change the frequency response significantly, sometimes for the worse. I wish they'd make a wide-nozzle version, as that would solve the problem here.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,479 of 9,829

The SpinFits, while very gentle on the ears, change the frequency response significantly, sometimes for the worse. I wish they'd make a wide-nozzle version, as that would solve the problem here.

Thanks, need to test the silicon tips provided with NOVA, the comply dont fit me well at all.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,481 of 9,829
  Thanks, need to test the silicon tips provided with NOVA, the comply dont fit me well at all.

I'm using the Spinfits as I've never really liked using foam tips. The stock silicone tips are great in the sense that they're wide-bore, which the Novas seem to like better, but I find them too shallow for me. I'm with @Currawong, wide-bore Spinfits would be great; the extra length really helps with insertion depth for me.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,482 of 9,829

I got out the good 'ol universal Laylas with foam tips and compared them to the Andromedas out of a Chord DAVE (which sadly has to go back tomorrow) and I was surprised that there wasn't much difference in tone with the bass set at 9 o'clock.  Note that I don't listen that loud and the Laylas have more drivers for the purpose of having more headroom.  I'd expected the Andromedas to be brighter, but out of the DAVE and anything with a low output impedance they have quite a bit of mid-bass.

would be nice to read more impressions of the Andromeda vs Layla .... thanks in advance!
(Chord DAVE impressions would be nice as well, but that is too much for my wallet unfortunately)

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,483 of 9,829
Also a no here for the Spinfits.

Either go with the stock tips, then either Ortofon or JVC Spiral tips - imho.

CA Ken recommends silicone tips with the Nova. And as Currawong noted: get tips with wide bores.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,485 of 9,829
  I'm using the Spinfits as I've never really liked using foam tips. The stock silicone tips are great in the sense that they're wide-bore, which the Novas seem to like better, but I find them too shallow for me. I'm with @Currawong, wide-bore Spinfits would be great; the extra length really helps with insertion depth for me.

Have you tried putting a spacer?? Maybe a 1 or 1.5 mm spacer would help with the insertion depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back