Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 16, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #6,241 of 9,825
CA recommends using a hair dryer to soften the cable sheath. Here is what they recommended and I've had success with:
  1. Hold the cable by one end and let it hang straight down.
  2. Take the hair dryer and slowly move down the cable.
  3. Every so often pull on the cable to straighten out any kinks or bends.
  4. Once the cable is straight let it cool down while stretched out.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #6,242 of 9,825
Haven't thought of trying the hair dryer, I'll have to give it a whirl on my Ref8 cable

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #6,243 of 9,825
My Andromeda S is arriving next week and I am looking for a cheap portable amp\dac to pair it with no hiss (i don't like daps).
So far I read about the EarStudio SE100 being a good match since its output impedance is approximately 1-ohm.
Did anyone try the EarStudio SE100 with the Andromeda?

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #6,244 of 9,825
My Andromeda S is arriving next week
Congrats!

...and I am looking for a cheap portable amp\dac to pair it with no hiss (i don't like daps).

I would also be interested in a nice dac/amp for the Andros. So far everything I've tried has been either too expensive (too much amp for what I need) or too close to what my S8 can do.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #6,245 of 9,825
I would also be interested in a nice dac/amp for the Andros. So far everything I've tried has been either too expensive (too much amp for what I need) or too close to what my S8 can do.

This is a 417 page thread. Lots of recs throughout. Key is finding something low noise with approx 1 to 2 ohm output impedance. Lower than that tilts FR to bass. Higher tilts it to treble.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #6,250 of 9,825
I recently purchased a set of Andromedas on the 'for sale' forum for use w/ my LG V40. These are definitely a big step up from my SE535s. The bass seems about right and the soundstage is amazing with quite a bit of detail . With the Andromedas in my ears, it makes it seem like everything in between has been replaced with music rather than a right ear / left ear sort of experience. A listening experience that is more akin to my 2ch speaker rig that I can enjoy on the go.

Tips have been the biggest challenge. These are large IEMs and they don't quite flush up against my ears like my SE535s do. I tried the stock tips, 3rd party Sony hybrids (silicone) and the Symbio W. The Symbios were closest to the mark, but still seemed to want to pull out of my ears a bit. 'Mediums' in any of these tips weren't quite snug enough and the 'Large' size was more secure, but put an uncomfortable pressure on my ear canals that wasn't great. Yesterday a sampler pack of Comply tips arrived in 'Medium" (same size that I use w/ the SE535s) and they definitely seem more planted and stable in my ears without any discomfort so far.

Now I just need to figure out where I can order CA's mesh IEM bag without spending $12.99 to ship a $5 item :astonished:

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #6,251 of 9,825
.....and the Symbio W. The Symbios were closest to the mark, but still seemed to want to pull out of my ears a bit. 'Mediums' in any of these tips weren't quite snug enough and the 'Large' size was more secure, but put an uncomfortable pressure on my ear canals that wasn't great.

There are a few recent posts spread around these forums about removing the foam from the Symbios, relieves the ear canal pressure and even creates a better seal. I've tried it with my Andro Greens and it seems to work wonders :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #6,252 of 9,825
There are a few recent posts spread around these forums about removing the foam from the Symbios, relieves the ear canal pressure and even creates a better seal. I've tried it with my Andro Greens and it seems to work wonders :)

Thanks, I'll have to try that now that I have the Comply tips in hand.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #6,254 of 9,825
Spiral Dots come in 5 sizes as well, the usual S/M/L and the two in between which means it's easier to find a good fit

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #6,255 of 9,825

+1 Medium with foam is too big for me, Medium without foam is just right. It’s even better than the included final tips. Although I managed to rip the silicone a bit when removing the foam, not a big problem since Symbio now sells them without foam for 5 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back