Campfire Audio Equinox Custom IEM - Beta
May 29, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #106 of 195
Thanks, I appreciate that! I am fascinated by sound since I was a kid and started off as a music and concert reviewer, even then I remembered how some concert speakers and gear sounded so raw and emotional and even better than production mixes That curiosity as to why followed me into this rabbit hole lol

May 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #108 of 195
I'm curious how many people are having to go through refits right now? What was CFA's turnaround time from receipt of the iems to be refitted to it being shipped back to you?

The Equinox are my 1st CIEM and prefer the custom fit to tip rolling of IEM. The comfort difference is day and night for me.
I had my impressions done on the spot at the last CanJam NY.
Perfect fit on the first try after receiving them.

May 30, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #109 of 195
I'm currently waiting for the OK to send mine back for refit #2. The first refit took about a month from them receiving the iems to them saying they were ready to ship back. As it stands now, they sound great, but if I move the left side of my face at all, there's a 1 in 3 chance that I lose hearing/sound on the left side. I also think that how the left iem sits in my ear dampens the sound in comparison to the right (perfect) side.

note: prior to first refit, I was getting a painful vacuum on the left side, so I think it improved with the refit?

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #111 of 195
I'm currently waiting for the OK to send mine back for refit #2. The first refit took about a month from them receiving the iems to them saying they were ready to ship back. As it stands now, they sound great, but if I move the left side of my face at all, there's a 1 in 3 chance that I lose hearing/sound on the left side. I also think that how the left iem sits in my ear dampens the sound in comparison to the right (perfect) side.

note: prior to first refit, I was getting a painful vacuum on the left side, so I think it improved with the refit?
I`m wondering if it can it be related to the quality of the impressions.?

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #113 of 195

After a week or so of no comment, I hit up support and the tech again, and got the response that they were too busy to fix my fitting issues because they had a big order to fulfill. Guess what company isn't getting my hard earned money anymore? LOL

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #114 of 195
After a week or so of no comment, I hit up support and the tech again, and got the response that they were too busy to fix my fitting issues because they had a big order to fulfill. Guess what company isn't getting my hard earned money anymore? LOL
Not cool :frowning2: So what are you going to do about it if anything?

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #115 of 195
Is it the impressions, or driver flex, which some folks experience with the Atlas (same driver)?

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #116 of 195
Maybe just the angle. Yeah, sold out but I think they are going 100 per quarter and the 2nd quarter is almost done-ishhhhh.

DSC05206.jpg
Spot on in my opinion. I wouldn't mind a bit more isolation and probably prefer the tuning of my Vegas a little bit. That said, I have had a lot of fit issues with all of the universals I've tried. My Equinoxes fit perfectly and and unbelievably comfortable. So I'm still pretty dang happy.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #117 of 195
I'm curious how many people are having to go through refits right now? What was CFA's turnaround time from receipt of the iems to be refitted to it being shipped back to you?

We have not had a lot of refits, I checked and yours are in the mix to be re worked. Please stand by it will get re worked. Please PM me if you have any questions and sorry your having to wait.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 6, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #118 of 195
Not cool :frowning2: So what are you going to do about it if anything?

I took x-acto knife and shaved off what looked like excess material around the area that goes into the ear canal. Now I can at least eat/drink/raise my eyebrows and not go deaf on the left side. The act of smiling acts as a left side mute, but little victories are important. :)

Is it the impressions, or driver flex, which some folks experience with the Atlas (same driver)?

I wish I knew if it was the impressions. The right side is great, the left side not so much. As for the driver flex, it's definitely there for me on the left side. The Equinox are supposedly ported, so this shouldn't be an issue, but YMMV it seems. I only went for the Equinox because they had stated that driver flex wasn't an issue with this design. I love my Vegas (my out-of-the-house headphone), but the driver flex with silicone tips (my preferred option) can be painful. I did the yarn thru the tip trick to break the seal but I've settled on foam tips because I was tired of constantly messing with yarn replacement.

We have not had a lot of refits, I checked and yours are in the mix to be re worked. Please stand by it will get re worked. Please PM me if you have any questions and sorry your having to wait.

Ken
Thanks for the response. I am glad that I'm in the queue for the eventual rework. I get the small company, small staff thing you have going on, and understand having to wait. I choose to pay the premium on your products to support an American business. But, I bust my ass to make the cash to buy your gear, and having a $1500 paperweight set isn't exactly cool in my book. At least now that I've shaved a bit off the offending side they are more or less usable at home.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #119 of 195
And a quick update:

I picked up my refit Equinox on Monday from the post, and they rock. They shortened the part that goes in the ear canal a bit, and now they are super comfortable with no vacuum/driver flex issues. This is the first pair of IEMs/earphones that I haven't had to constantly adjust in my ears as I walk around. They stay in place and just sound good. I was surprised to find that I needed to change my EQ settings switching between the Vega and the Equinox. I normally boost the bass frequencies a bit with the Vega, but with the Equinox I get all the bass I need with nothing boosted. Hell yeah.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #120 of 195
And a quick update:

I picked up my refit Equinox on Monday from the post, and they rock. They shortened the part that goes in the ear canal a bit, and now they are super comfortable with no vacuum/driver flex issues. This is the first pair of IEMs/earphones that I haven't had to constantly adjust in my ears as I walk around. They stay in place and just sound good. I was surprised to find that I needed to change my EQ settings switching between the Vega and the Equinox. I normally boost the bass frequencies a bit with the Vega, but with the Equinox I get all the bass I need with nothing boosted. Hell yeah.
Nice. Glad you got it sorted. Seems it's out of beta phase now and a full release? Maybe more people will start talking about it if it's more widely available.

Got to admit to still being on the fence, mainly due to the cost if nothing else.

Edit for a quick question, is the main body still acrylic? Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back