CAMERA FI Lets see em..!
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 66
From what I gathered it was fairly common in the 60s and 70s for lenses to use thorium in the construction of the glass, which after years causes the lens to turn yellow or brown.

F1.4-50mm-Super-Takumar-guide-300x298.jpg
Not all lenses contained Thorium. Only some of them. You can reverse the browning effect by exposing them to UV light.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 66
When I was in photography school 30 years ago, lens were different. They actually didn’t have a good zoom lens! Also there used to be an f stop that was optimal for a lens. Regardless of DOF, it was typically f4 or f5.6? Of course every lens was and is different. In some ways lens have improved. Still I feel the kit lens that comes with modern digital cameras is not as good as the fixed MM lens that used to come as standard. Like before a person would often get a 50mm or 55mm lens with a 35mm film camera. Typically, even with the advances made in zooms, they are not quite as good? IMO
Yup agreed on that. But i usually shoot as these apertures, if not my images start to get blurred when i slow down my shutter speed. (i shoot handheld most of the time :p )

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #34 of 66
I bit the bullet and got me a Helios 44-2.
20210619_000035.jpg

The bokeh is so good. Of course it arrived too late in the day to take it out shooting, but I got a quick shot just of my keyboard.
DSC02658.JPG

There's a wooded area near my house; in the morning I think I'm gonna take the lens out there to see if I can get some of those bokeh swirls this lens is famous for.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #36 of 66
From what I gathered it was fairly common in the 60s and 70s for lenses to use thorium in the construction of the glass, which after years causes the lens to turn yellow or brown.

F1.4-50mm-Super-Takumar-guide-300x298.jpg
This is my favorite old lens. Also used to have a good copy of the cheaper and lighter 55mm f1.8 (wish I hadn't let it go). I did have to use a UV light on the 50mm for a few days to lessen the radioactive yellowing.

I think I couldn't get photos like this on my modern Fujifilm lenses:
DSCF0032.jpg

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #38 of 66
like @Kukuk I am a newbie with photography but wanted to get a decent camera to start off. I bought a Sony A7R III along with a Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM. I will be using it mainly for family photos (I have a 6 month old) and for work. So far I am happy with my pics. I am just learning and make a lot of mistakes (my first photos for work…I forgot to focus the subject….what an idiot lol). I was at Estes Park today and have a few good photos and a lot of trash LOL. I am thinking of buying a macro lens next. I think I could get more out of it then a telephoto lens. Lots of practice ahead of me. Loads of fun though.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #39 of 66
Normally I have dedicated wide lenses, but not anymore. I sold off everything I own except a lens that works as an 80mm and a 500mm. Also a kit lens. This is the silly kit lens that came with my Nikon D5100.

A1632214-480C-496E-B2F5-39DDF2093277.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #40 of 66
sony_a7_iv_38.jpg

After years of rumors Sony finally announced the A7IV. I was expecting to be annoyed by its announcement, since I got my A7III fairly recently, but it seems to be only a small upgrade, with some key downgrades. It seems to have gotten the most attention to bringing the video capabilities up to speed, with a number of new formats, and 4k 60FPS recording. The increase to 33MP for stills is nice, and it sounds like the auto focus is almost on par with the A1.

Downsides are stills capture rate is limited to 6FPS with uncompressed raw (versus 10 on the A7III), worse rolling shutter, and a pretty steep price increase. This is $2500, whereas the A7III is currently $1800 (though, when I purchased mine it was $1700).

like @Kukuk I am a newbie with photography but wanted to get a decent camera to start off. I bought a Sony A7R III along with a Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM. I will be using it mainly for family photos (I have a 6 month old) and for work. So far I am happy with my pics. I am just learning and make a lot of mistakes (my first photos for work…I forgot to focus the subject….what an idiot lol). I was at Estes Park today and have a few good photos and a lot of trash LOL. I am thinking of buying a macro lens next. I think I could get more out of it then a telephoto lens. Lots of practice ahead of me. Loads of fun though.

This is basically the story of my photography experience. Most of the pictures I take that are passable are "facebook good" but not actually good.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #41 of 66
sony_a7_iv_38.jpg

After years of rumors Sony finally announced the A7IV. I was expecting to be annoyed by its announcement, since I got my A7III fairly recently, but it seems to be only a small upgrade, with some key downgrades. It seems to have gotten the most attention to bringing the video capabilities up to speed, with a number of new formats, and 4k 60FPS recording. The increase to 33MP for stills is nice, and it sounds like the auto focus is almost on par with the A1.

Downsides are stills capture rate is limited to 6FPS with uncompressed raw (versus 10 on the A7III), worse rolling shutter, and a pretty steep price increase. This is $2500, whereas the A7III is currently $1800 (though, when I purchased mine it was $1700).

This is basically the story of my photography experience. Most of the pictures I take that are passable are "facebook good" but not actually good.
The best photographers in the world produce a lot of crap. It's just that they don't show it, so you think that every time they press the button, a masterpiece comes out.

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #42 of 66
Mamiya-6 IV medium format 6x6 folding coupled rangefinder. Unique focusing mechanism, the lens does not move, rather the film plane moves fore-and-aft for focus. This copy is in pretty good shape for it's age. Those in the "Lomo" crowd that want to shoot medium format film with a nice affordable folding rangefinder can find plenty of bargains on ebay.

Mamiya-6 IV.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #44 of 66
The evolution continues... Graflex Norita 66 medium format SLR. Feed it either 120 film for 12 6x6 exposures or 220 film for 24 6x6 exposures. The 80mm f2 was the fastest medium format normal lens at the time.

Norita 66.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back